Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
JUST GRADUATED, HAVE QUESTIONS!!!!!
Last Post 18 Mar 2011 11:21 PM by RikkiLynn. 30 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
12 Mar 2011 03:24 PM
    First off I just want to say thank you to everyone for all the help over the last few years and especially captkyguy for sending me those cool inspirational letters. I graduated yesterday with November 184, the baddest company to come thru TRACEN in years. Had an awesome time and totally psyched about my future. I will be reporting to the USCGC Spencer in Boston in less than a week and Im both excited and a little nervous.

I have a few questions...

1) The cutter is underway and I will be meeting it somewhere so Im not bringing much (only my seabag and rucksack). Is there any recommendations as to what I should bring in addition to civi cloths and my computer?

2) The boondockers issued to me are ridiculously uncomfortable and I want to buy new ones. Are there any good websites that offer USCG approved boots? Any recommendations as far as which ones to get? I like the Corcoran's but Im not sure if they're comfortable or appropriate for a cutter...

Any other advice anyone care to share? I've had very little contact with the cutter itself because they are underway so Ive been dealing directly with Sector Boston for guidance. 

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I report on St. Patricks day!!!!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    12 Mar 2011 06:48 PM
    i have to say i love my boots but if you want a good boot look at bates.

You can get any 8 to 10 inch black boot with a safety tip but can no be steel toe
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Mar 2011 07:10 PM
    Nick!!!

Congratulations!! Kyle told us you were headed to the Spencer! Colin said he was sorry... that's just a little boat rivalry, he'll be moored up next to you on the Seneca. You'll feel bad for him, too. LOL If you are headed up early and need a place to stay The Mariner's Inn is for sailors ONLY. It is a private hotel. I have stayed there but only because Colin was able to reserve the room for me. Parking is a but tough there. The other place is the Constitution Inn, it is just across the bay from the base. That is a YMCA hotel but it is very clean and very nice, the rate you pay is based on rank. So it isn't very expensive.

The neighborhood the base is in is really fantastic. You will have almost everything within walking distance. If both boats are in at the same time, I'll give you Colin's cell, give him a call. He'll take you to the best pizza place in town and that is completely walkable! The ships go all over the place from Boston so have a great time! Congratulations again and best of luck. Hopefully you'll fly out quickly to catch up to your ship!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    12 Mar 2011 07:41 PM
    Thanks Macie. Im very familiar with Boston I go there all the time I love it there. Too bad I have to leave all my Yankee gear back home in NY haha. There are about 6 of us from N-184 coming to 270's in Boston so at least I will know a few people.

Sourthern118, I was told steel toes are required on cutters. Is that not correct?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Mar 2011 08:19 PM
    Colin, that damn turncoat is out of the will... he tells us he likes the Red Sox and actually goes to some games and has a Red Sox hat! I lived in Dallas but you would never catch this Giants girl in a Cowgirls ANYTHiNG! But Colin, a Yankee, suddenly likes the Sox. Completely out of the will! LOL

Colin's ship might be back in port before you leave to catch up to the Spencer. The Seneca is home for a 3 month inport after this trip. They are doing a non-dry drydock, as it was explained to me. I guess they are doing some rehab on the ship right there is Boston. So again, if you need someone to "play" with for a few days before you head out... go find him.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    12 Mar 2011 08:35 PM
    Welcome back CaptNick...enjoy your journey and have the time of your life!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    12 Mar 2011 11:12 PM
    CaptNick,

As per the uniform manual, steel toes aren't allowed anymore. However, from my experience on my cutter as long as you aren't an EM or an ET (anything that deals with electricity), you will be fine wearing steel toes. I don't think anyone will cut open the toe of your boot to make sure they are composite vs. steel toe but that could be different at other units. The manual says it must be composite toe, if in doubt, ask your sponsor.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    12 Mar 2011 11:24 PM
    Read a post a while back that stated the composite also helped keep the toes warmer on cold ocean days...just a thought.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ssetnicky

--
    12 Mar 2011 11:45 PM
    last patrol, the SPENCER helped us interdict a go fast that resulted in a 3 hour chase, ending with us getting another snowflake... good crew they were very helpful.

As for my suggestions... this first patrol bang out those quals. If you work your ass off to get your 'in port quals' done as well as your underway quals, then your next patrol will be much more relaxing. Bring a good book or two, and as for your computer, get an external hard drive and slap some movies or better yet TV series on there. also: if you can, stock up on whatever microwaveable foods you can (ramen noodles, easy mac, rice, whatever you like) because theres always going to be a meal you just dont want to eat. but if you dont bring anything then there is no choice. although i understand if youre meeting them while underway, the amount of stuff you bring with you may be limited.

Anyway, have fun. I love my 270' I'm sure you'll love yours.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    13 Mar 2011 05:51 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is there a link online to the uniform regs? They werent explained to us at all in BC...
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    13 Mar 2011 06:08 AM
    Hey, did Nick tell ya'll he won an award? Because I still think that's pretty awesome November was definitely a badass company.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    13 Mar 2011 06:34 AM
    First off, CONGRATS!! Second, I'd love to be on a 270'out of Boston. Besides the fact I want to be afloat, I'm a huuuuuuuge Yankees fan. No leaving gear back in Florid, it's all coming with me. I have a big Yankees emblem tattooed on my shoulder too. Going to Dead Sox games in all Yankees gear, HELL THE F YEA!! lol.
    And I feel ya Macie. G-Men all the way. Keep representing, don't let those Cow Girl fans try and hold ya down
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    13 Mar 2011 06:58 AM
    Posted By CaptNick on 13 Mar 2011 06:51 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is there a link online to the uniform regs? They werent explained to us at all in BC...

http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/...020_6F.pdf
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    13 Mar 2011 06:26 PM
    Haha yea I won the Seamanship award. Thanks pepperdoggie for the link.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    14 Mar 2011 05:32 AM
    Blech, All this talk of Yankees, Red Sox, and Giants is making me a bit nauseous. On a slightly related note: I got my fiancée to agree to send me baseball scores while I'm in boot. She loves me!

Congrats CaptNick! Good luck!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Mar 2011 06:42 AM
    Have her write it in the letter... I used to tape the little thing from the newspaper showing all the scores (when people actually relied on newspapers LOL)... Oh did Jim take a beating for that & I sent it in almost every letter! HAHAHA I didn't know! It took until about week 4 when I got a letter begging me to stop sending that! HAHA
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    14 Mar 2011 06:51 AM
    XD Will do! She's already threatening to put these "Cute Woodland Animal" stickers she found at work on my letters. She works at Michaels and there is no end to the "Cute" things she could send just to get me in trouble.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Mar 2011 07:08 AM
    I like her!! She should send as much as possible just because she can and think how buff you'll be.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    14 Mar 2011 08:25 AM
    That was her statement. I'll get a better workout.

If I survive... yeah, I'll probably be pretty buff.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    14 Mar 2011 02:17 PM
    Buff as a stud muffin...I will have to send some in for you as well Roe...HAHAHAHA evil laughing going on!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    16 Mar 2011 05:03 AM
    That's it, I'm never telling any of you my real name and so long as my fiancée doesn't get on here to tell anything I should... theoretically... be safe. >_>
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    16 Mar 2011 07:38 AM
     Yes, but we have your picture * and your ship date

Let the investigation begin

Eoghan Roe
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    16 Mar 2011 07:50 AM
    Hijackers....

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Mar 2011 08:14 AM
    Nick,

Did you think anything around here would have changed while you were away!?! LOL There are more thread hijacks than threads on this forum. But you know, just slap everyone around a bit & we'll get back on track. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    16 Mar 2011 08:22 AM
    Hahahha very true Macie. Im guilty of the same offense I guess hahah
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    16 Mar 2011 08:47 AM
    Awww crap. The wonders of the internet are going to backfire on me.

And thread hijacking is an art form I have mastered... accidentally.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    16 Mar 2011 10:00 AM
    Do they issue towels and linens aboard the boat? I know in the future I can whatever I want but as far as reporting right away, my space is pretty limited.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Mar 2011 10:33 AM
    Do they issue towels and linens aboard the boat?

Yes, they will. Bring a sleeping back though. It will become your best friend.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    16 Mar 2011 10:45 AM
    I would love to bring a sleeping bag but I dont have room. Im meeting my cutter underway and only can bring 2 bags
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    newms

--
    16 Mar 2011 01:33 PM

I've got a sleeping bag, pretty sure it's not Fire Retardant, is this a Deal Breaker?  Any suggestions for a Fire Retardant one?
    newms! PATFORSWA
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement