Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
ASVAB scoring
Last Post 27 Mar 2011 08:03 AM by the.guardian. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cgashley

--
14 Mar 2011 04:36 PM
    This is probably a silly question... but I bought some practice books for the ASVAB and they claim to offer full length practice exams.  I took one of the exams and scored very very well on the AR, MK, PC, and WK sections.  I also looked up how to calculate the GT score which, if I'm not mistaken, is what is used to determine eligibility for OCS.  However, the numbers don't add up right... Either there weren't enough questions on those sections in my practice book (liars!!!) or I'm confused about how to add up the score.  Or is there some conversion that needs to take place?  I'm not really that concerned because I've been doing really well...I'd just like a number.

Or does anyone know of resources online that would let me take a practice test and get my GT score?
    Sierra

--
    14 Mar 2011 04:44 PM
    The ASVAB is only used for enlisted positions, but you can take it to see what kind of job you would be good at.

Practice tests at http://www.military.com/ASVAB

Good Luck!
    cgashley

--
    14 Mar 2011 04:47 PM
    This is copied from gocoastguard.com on the OCS page. I'z confused!

Qualifying Tests:

All applicants must provide a qualifying score on the SAT, ACT, or ASVAB. No waivers will be considered. Minimum qualifying scores are as follows:

* SAT 1: combined 1100 on verbal and math
    * ACT: 23
    * ASVAB: 109 on ASVAB General Technical (GT) Aptitude Area after 1 July 2004; 110 prior to 1 July 2004. The GT score is obtained by combining the VE (Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension) and AR (Arithmetic Reasoning) test scores.
    Sierra

--
    14 Mar 2011 04:49 PM
    That's interesting, I thought the ASVAB scoring only went to 99?
    cgashley

--
    14 Mar 2011 04:54 PM
    Posted By Sierra on 14 Mar 2011 04:49 PM
    That's interesting, I thought the ASVAB scoring only went to 99?

Haha I think that's the AFQT...which is a percentile score?  Everywhere I read, I get a different answer.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 Mar 2011 06:20 PM
    The AFQT only goes to 99, the GT is a separate score. Enlisted applicants need to score a 45 or better and qualify for a job to be eligible for enlistment. OCS applicants who haven't met the SAT/ACT standards need a GT of 109 or better in order to apply.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    cgashley

--
    14 Mar 2011 06:34 PM
    Posted By Gears on 14 Mar 2011 06:20 PM
    The AFQT only goes to 99, the GT is a separate score. Enlisted applicants need to score a 45 or better and qualify for a job to be eligible for enlistment. OCS applicants who haven't met the SAT/ACT standards need a GT of 109 or better in order to apply.

right....but to calculate the GT you add arithmetic knowledge, paragraph comprehension, and word knowledge.  There are only 95 questions in these three subtests from what I've read on the internet and my practice books.  How does one get a score of *at least* 109 on that, if there are only 95 questions? 

This is all assuming that your score per subtest is just the number of questions you get correct, which could be my mistake in the first place. 

Grrr.
    cgashley

--
    14 Mar 2011 06:55 PM
    I think I understand.

AFQT is calculated through the use of magic and DOD computer programs. The formula says 2*VE + MK + AR. However, your MK and AR "number correct" are not actually the numbers used in that calculation. VE is a nifty scaled score you can get from fancy conversation charts via the interwebs.

Coast Guard's GT score (used to determine eligibility for OCS) is your VE + AR (your actual AR). Which leaves me with a 145 on my practice exam GT. Meaning I can stop practicing that and start teaching myself about gears and pulleys. And also photosynthesis.

I hope this has been either sufficiently helpful or boring.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Mar 2011 07:41 PM
    Helpful & boring... sort of like my ex-husband, you must be officer material! HAHAHAHAHA
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 Mar 2011 07:44 PM
    the use of magic and DOD computer programs.

You have now unlocked the secret of how the entire US Military works... I think you should work on solving the Kennedy assassination now...
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    cgashley

--
    14 Mar 2011 07:52 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 14 Mar 2011 07:41 PM
    Helpful & boring... sort of like my ex-husband, you must be officer material! HAHAHAHAHA

bahahahahaha
    cgashley

--
    14 Mar 2011 07:54 PM
    Posted By Gears on 14 Mar 2011 07:44 PM
    the use of magic and DOD computer programs.

You have now unlocked the secret of how the entire US Military works... I think you should work on solving the Kennedy assassination now...

win. 
    RikkiLynn

--
    18 Mar 2011 11:45 PM
    To apply for officer you can either use your SAT, ACT or ASVAB score. Your recruiter can do the calculations for you because they have a system that they plug your scores into that will give your GT score.
    jbsword03

--
    22 Mar 2011 12:35 PM
    Almost everything you need to know about th ASVAB.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_...de_Battery
    the.guardian

--
    27 Mar 2011 08:03 AM
    They have those great practice tests online...........when my son was getting ready to take his test, I took some of the practice ones.......I did great on the short ones because they concentrated on writing and math........the longer tests I did HORRIBLE on.......... but what got me, the short ones were way short, the long ones were way long and the real test had 99 questions.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement