Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
acne meds at boot?
Last Post 24 Mar 2011 07:32 AM by COASTIE_OS. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cgashley

--
16 Mar 2011 03:02 PM
    I have a topical prescription acne medication that has done wonders for my face, and it takes a while to start working so I wouldn't want to stop and then start it again... I know at boot they evaluate all your meds and then re-prescribe them if they see fit (right?).  Do they normally keep you going with what you're on?  Or is that something they'd make me stop taking?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    17 Mar 2011 12:59 PM
    hmmmm. normally they don't let you bring outside prescriptions into bootcamp. I brought stuff for my face too but it wasn't a prescription, and I got scared the night that they go through all your stuff and just put it away with my civillian stuff. I wouldn't have had time to put it on everyday anyway. When we got our bags back a couple nights before we left I grabbed it and started using it right away because I was all broken out.

The majority of the time in bootcamp up until literally the last week or so my skin was really clear. I just washed my face everytime I went to the bathroom, partly because your hot and sweaty and partly to stay awake in class. I also always dunked my head under the facet whenever we a got a bathroom break to stay cool (it was a hundred degrees out) and to stay awake in class lol.

You should be ok, your drinking a lot of water and just eat well and your skin should stay clear throughout.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    jgraff522

--
    18 Mar 2011 07:12 AM
    ashley i was wondering the same thing too b/c im worried about my face breaking out...i read on another page to bring stridex pads bc thats quick and easy to clean your face with.
    cgashley

--
    18 Mar 2011 03:15 PM
    Posted By jgraff522 on 18 Mar 2011 07:12 AM
    ashley i was wondering the same thing too b/c im worried about my face breaking out...i read on another page to bring stridex pads bc thats quick and easy to clean your face with.

I might send an email to my recruiter about it.  I hear that with the medicine I'm on, once you stop taking it you break out ten times worse.  That's the last thing I want to be dealing with at boot camp.  Gross!  Stridex Pads are a good idea.
    jgraff522

--
    18 Mar 2011 03:58 PM
    lol yea i hear ya...but i figure with bcg's and grandmaw panties, my face breaking out will just be another thing to add to the list. my acne isnt as extreme as yours sounds (no offense) but if its not allowed we just gotta go with the flow ya know?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    18 Mar 2011 04:28 PM
    I don't know a thing about the policy regarding prescription medications at boot camp but both of my girls were taking oral contraceptives for their acne before they went up there....and they were allowed to continue taking those. In fact, they were offering women the pill when they went through medical if they wanted it. Don't know if they still do that. Anyway....those things work miracles for my girls. For some reason, my younger daughter chose not to take the pill while she was there and I was kinda shocked when I saw her at graduation. Poor girlie had a major breakout going on. But like you said, you're already looking so cool with the bcg's and the grandma panties haha. What's a few pimples gonna hurt. Anyway, I would never condone taking medication without consulting your family doctor first or your parents if you're still at home but the pill really does wonders for acne. In fact, all three of my daughters take it for that reason. I only wish they made something like that for guys because my 14 year old son needs something for his face, too!

Laurie
    cgashley

--
    18 Mar 2011 05:39 PM
    Posted By jgraff522 on 18 Mar 2011 03:58 PM
    lol yea i hear ya...but i figure with bcg's and grandmaw panties, my face breaking out will just be another thing to add to the list. my acne isnt as extreme as yours sounds (no offense) but if its not allowed we just gotta go with the flow ya know?

grandma panties!  mine actually isn't so bad, it was only ever on my chin.  I just haven't had a pimple in over a year now and I'd love to stay that way haha.  What can we do though, you know?
    cgashley

--
    18 Mar 2011 05:40 PM
    Posted By ltate on 18 Mar 2011 04:28 PM
    I don't know a thing about the policy regarding prescription medications at boot camp but both of my girls were taking oral contraceptives for their acne before they went up there....and they were allowed to continue taking those. In fact, they were offering women the pill when they went through medical if they wanted it. Don't know if they still do that. Anyway....those things work miracles for my girls. For some reason, my younger daughter chose not to take the pill while she was there and I was kinda shocked when I saw her at graduation. Poor girlie had a major breakout going on. But like you said, you're already looking so cool with the bcg's and the grandma panties haha. What's a few pimples gonna hurt. Anyway, I would never condone taking medication without consulting your family doctor first or your parents if you're still at home but the pill really does wonders for acne. In fact, all three of my daughters take it for that reason. I only wish they made something like that for guys because my 14 year old son needs something for his face, too!

Laurie

Wow I knew they allowed women to stay on BC, but I didn't know they were offering it to women who weren't on it... that's interesting.
    Livindalife

--
    18 Mar 2011 08:02 PM
    Yes in boo camp they let you stay on ur birth control cuz they don't wanna mess up ur period if you still have one while taking the pill... Also they do let girls if they wanna start taking it they can but you don't get to start taking it till jus b4 you graduate and u will get to get a prescription for it in the middle of week 7 I think it is if I remember right... Like I should up to boot camp with enough to last me till it was time for the girls to go over and get on the pill or get refills.... So if you have a prescription bring it with you... you might have to change the time you usually take them tho... I used to take mine in the morning but I switched to taking them at night jus b4 lights out cuz thats was a lot easier to remember since the mornings are pretty unpredicable
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    18 Mar 2011 08:10 PM
    CGashley,

Something you want to look into. From our Medical manual.

Skin and Cellular Tissues.
    a. Sebaceous glands. Current diseases of sebaceous glands to include severe
    acne (706.1), if extensive involvement of the neck, shoulders, chest, or back
    is present or shall be aggravated by or interfere with the proper wearing of
    military equipment are disqualifying. Applicants under treatment with
    systemic retinoids, including, but not limited to isotretinoin (Accutane(r)),
    are disqualified until eight weeks after completion of therapy.

You may want to bring this up with your recruiter.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    18 Mar 2011 09:07 PM
    Ya don't take accutane, until after you are out of bootcamp,

and they don't have nuva ring at bootcamp, so I went on the shot for the duration of bootcamp. My doctor did not like this very much but there is no way I would had remembered to take the pill everyday during boot if I had never been able to consistently in real life.

Otherwise love the nuva ring; love that the cg pays for it too.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    cgashley

--
    19 Mar 2011 12:43 AM
    Posted By chukles on 18 Mar 2011 08:10 PM
    CGashley,

Something you want to look into. From our Medical manual.

Skin and Cellular Tissues.
    a. Sebaceous glands. Current diseases of sebaceous glands to include severe
    acne (706.1), if extensive involvement of the neck, shoulders, chest, or back
    is present or shall be aggravated by or interfere with the proper wearing of
    military equipment are disqualifying. Applicants under treatment with
    systemic retinoids, including, but not limited to isotretinoin (Accutane(r)),
    are disqualified until eight weeks after completion of therapy.

You may want to bring this up with your recruiter.

Thanks for that info... mine's no big deal, just a pimple hear or there on my face haha, and I'm not on accutane, but I'll bring it up with my recruiter just in case.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Mar 2011 07:56 AM
    Talk to your recruiter about anything and everything... At MEPS become a mute and say nothing!!!!! Unless you have absolute facts, just keep a zipped lip!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    20 Mar 2011 08:40 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 19 Mar 2011 07:56 AM
    Talk to your recruiter about anything and everything... At MEPS become a mute and say nothing!!!!! Unless you have absolute facts, just keep a zipped lip!

+ 2 billion!!!

use some super glue, staples, duct tape and anything else you can imagine to keep those lips in the closed position...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    SNSquaredAway

--
    24 Mar 2011 02:21 AM
    Yeah, no prescription meds but they allowed the benoyl peroxide lotion I had. Turns out that I didn't use it. I think the good diet you get there really helps with acne.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    24 Mar 2011 07:32 AM
    They also offer the first two gardisil shots to female coastie's... Then you will get your third when you get into the fleet at your own doctors office or at another military medical place depending on where u go.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement