Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
New member W/ Questions
Last Post 22 Mar 2011 07:55 AM by r3dr1ng0death. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
r3dr1ng0death

--
21 Mar 2011 01:00 AM
    After six long months, I finally got the call from my recruiter this past week that I'm all set to enter the reserves and i'll be swearing in on March 30th. i'm super excited and before I ask my questions I just have to give a special thanks to this forum. Without fail, anytime i had a question (even stuff i didnt think or was aware of) this forum was there to answer the question or at least put me in the right direction. I cant say it enough...THANK YOU!
    So anywho, mu questions are as follows:

1. I want tp sign my family up for the reserve tricare program, is that something i can do on day one or while im signing my contract?
    2. I leave for DEPOT on June 12, am I active duty during this time? or is it just considered training?
    3. Do some benefits, like college payment assistance, start right away or do they begin after i complete basic?

and finally...

4. whats up with the ME A school? seems alot of the posts ive read say theres a long waiting list. is this applicable to reservists? 

Again, thanks so much in advance for any and all assistance. just directing me to the right website(s) will be a tremendous help.  

R3d
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    21 Mar 2011 10:48 AM
    Congrats R3d! I am still in the process of joining the reserves. My recruiter is trying to get me approved and signed up for DEPOT June 12. Maybe we'll be there together! I will be checking back to see if your questions were answered, especially the tricare question because that is important for me and my family as well. 
    Good luck to you!
    "It's classified"
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Mar 2011 12:56 PM
    1. You should be able to sign your family up for Tricare when you report to your first unit.

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/Pr...erveSelect

2. Good question, I don't know the answer off hand, some research will be required.

3. You can draw tuition assistance right away, but you'll have to accrue drill points before you can use the GI Bill.

4. The ME school wait only applies to active duty personnel. As as reservist going to DEPOT you will either graduate rated or you will have an A school date set for up prior to departing.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_in...e_Menu.htm
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    r3dr1ng0death

--
    21 Mar 2011 04:35 PM
    Thanks so much Gears. The website helped alot (and its always easier to explain it to the wife when she can just look at it herself).

yeah Cb maybe ill see you there. good luck with everything. if you think of anything that i maybe able to help you out with let me know. Cant wait to ship out.

Just though of this and Maybe i should post this in the boot camp forum but...
    Is there anything that i should be studying or reviewing now for DEPOT? I was reading some of the boot camp forum responses and they were asking each other if they memorized something? any ideas?

Thanks
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    21 Mar 2011 05:56 PM
    R3d,

I do have a question. You said it took 6 months in total to finally get to a swear in date and reservation for DEPOT. How long did you wait after everything was done, submitted, and awaiting review from the recruiter's chief? That's where I'm at. I passed the ASVAB, qualified at MEPS, and submitted my Equip.  

As far as preparing for boot camp, I have read that we need to know the chain of command, the general orders (there's 11 of them, I think), some history, and the Guardian Ethos for sure. There is a book called the Helsman (spelling?) and it can be found on the CG website, I ran into it a little while ago. In that book, there is information that we'll need to know like the back of our hands.  Let me know if you can't find it.
    "It's classified"
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Mar 2011 08:45 PM
    Helmsman
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    r3dr1ng0death

--
    22 Mar 2011 07:55 AM
    oh ok...the helmsman. got it. will be looking for it today.

As far as the total time after submitting my packet it was less than six weeks. there was a short hiccup where something from my past (credit wise) showed its face and i had to deal with the credit bureau and the, now defunct, company. that was my only hold up and even with that short delay it was under six weeks. it all comes down to your recruiter. I lucked out i guess.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement