Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Reserves Age limit change?
Last Post 28 Mar 2011 01:38 PM by MSTHopeful. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MSTHopeful

--
23 Mar 2011 10:30 AM
    Has anyone heard that the Coast Guard may be lowering the Reserves max age limit from 39 to 35?

There is a rumor floating about on the military.com forums concerning an age change for Army/Army Reserves down to 35 as of April 1.  

I am asking because I am waiting for a CG MST reserve position to open up, and I don't want to age out! 
    YNCoastie101

--
    25 Mar 2011 10:13 PM
    35 years old sounds too old to join the CG or CG Reserve. I'm pretty sure the age limit is 27 (I might be wrong about that), unless the rating is a critical rating that needs people. Unfortunatly MST never has and probably never will have a critical status (there are just too many people interested in the job). You could join a needed rate as a reservist, then apply for a change in rating sometime down the road. For instance, I know the CG needs reserve YN and there are 34-35 yr old YN3s out there. However, this wouldn't garantee you MST. Is it more about being part of the CG or being an MST? If it's more about being MST then, no offense, you may want to think about something else in the private sector dealing with the Marine Science Field.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    26 Mar 2011 07:09 AM
    27 is way off. Reserve age requirements are different than active duty. In some circumstances we can take you up to 39. There is no talk about lowering the age to 35. There are reserve MST positions open in the reserve, probably not in your area. As far as the need for YN to get in. My region has 1 YN position, so it is not as wide open as one would think. I strongly suggest you wait for what you want. Do not take any open position just to get in on the hopes you "may" be able to switch your rate at a later date. Your contract will state you are joining for "this rate". It is not easy to change. (I have two people in my region trying to do this and so far, without much luck.)

I wish you the best.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    26 Mar 2011 10:14 AM
    Listen to Chuckles... The most important thing you can do is communicate with your recruiter. As you can see you've gotten two different answers here. YNcoastie no offense but you literally gave him incorrect info about everything. Again just talk to your recruiter he will know what's best for you. Good luck!!!
    USCG Recruiter ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    26 Mar 2011 02:46 PM
    Thank you for clarifying that. I was concerned because I'm 36 trying to get in. I would have been really bummed if it were true.
    "It's classified"
    BDUB

--
    28 Mar 2011 09:12 AM
    MSTHopeful,

Where are you located? Your situation is eerily similar to mine. I had heard the same thing about the Army and the age limit revision and had the same concern.
    MSTHopeful

--
    28 Mar 2011 10:16 AM
    Thank you all for your replies.  I have been in touch with a CG recruiter(s) since January.  He seemed to think that MST, when open, was harder to fill- everyone around here wants ME positions!  I am open to other rates, although none of those were available, either.  

@BDUB-- I am located in the Southeast.  The rumors I "heard" were on the military.com recruiting board, but I'm not sure what area the applicant was from.  There were actually a couple of people reporting the issue.  Although the Coast Guard is my first choice by far, I've also spoken with a Navy recruiter and Air National Guard-- they still seem to be recruiting to 39 and 40 respectively.
    BDUB

--
    28 Mar 2011 12:14 PM
    I read the same thread. The comparisons are getting really eery now. I am in the Southeast as well....
    MSTHopeful

--
    28 Mar 2011 01:38 PM
    @BDUB- I pm'd you.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement