Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AST or IT? 9 months before Basic.
Last Post 01 May 2011 03:03 PM by Gears. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Curiouscookie

--
27 Mar 2011 12:11 PM
    Hello, this is my first topic so Ill try and keep it short and sweet but with enough info. Im 18 years old and I am hoping to join the USCG in jan or so. My friend is also joining, I know we wont be together, and he is becoming a AST like his father. Me on the other hand is very confused. With my personal life ET and IT sound like the right choice for me, but the more I read the less sure I am. I love computers and technology but I only know what I got from experience. My grades in school are just passing and never really excelled in any aspects in school nor done any school sports. Im not fat but I am out of shape and considered "Lazy". (Thought I been running every day to get ready.) The reason I am so unsure of ET or IT is because it says their is good bit of math involved, and my god. I am horrible in math. I do have interest in desire to learn in technology but I dont know if I have the capability to do so. So I was thinking why not be like my friend and try out AST...Well. From what I seen and read, it is physicality demanding and a long waiting list with a big fail percentage rating. What worries me is the physical strain. I do have 9 months but little resources. Everything that I can do with my body I have but the money for the access to the pool is slim. Possible, but slim. I'd go for IT or ET but from my back ground i'v always wanted an exciting life and would be amazing to save other's too.

To short this up, main question is what do you think?  Whats going on in the USCG on these topics. Please share personal experiences or any knowledge. Thaks
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    27 Mar 2011 01:11 PM
    First off, you need to get into shape. Look up the entrance weight standards for the USCG and make sure you are under your maximum weight for entrance. If you are over your max weight, you need to be at least 5lbs below that.

The Coast Guard is very selective so you need to be all squared away with everything before you start your recruiting process, as not to hold you back or slow down the process.

On the upside, the only rating that offers A-school straight from boot camp is FS (food service).

So unless you decide to go FS, you will have some time after boot camp to work in the fleet, experience different things, and ask around about different rates.

I am terrible in math too, but just like with anything, once you get to A-school, if you buckle down, show some initiative and study hard, you should be fine.

As for AST, to say it is physically demanding is an understatement.

I know a few people who have tried going AST, some of them made it, some of them didnt.

Even the ones who didnt make it were still in top physical condition.

AST A-school will drain you mentally, physically, emotionally, and every other way possible.

If you are serious about possibly going AST, I suggest you start training now, and train hard.

Its also going to be about a 2 year wait for A-school I think.

But whatever you want to do, set your mind to it, work hard, talk to some people and find out some steps you can take in the right direction and get yourself to where you want to be.

Good luck!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Mar 2011 04:32 PM
    I agree with Corey... if you want it, you can attain it. It might be amazingly challenging work to get there but you just have to want it enough. I also agree with no matter what you want, there is going to be a wait to get it. So go into the CG with a clear mind, see what you qualify for when you take the ASVAB and then look around. You might find a rate you have never heard of or know very little about and be surprised the different path your career might take. I wish you the best of luck. If you have any questions, let us know, someone is always around to help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    27 Mar 2011 05:51 PM
    Old guard made a good point that somehow I forgot about, since Ive been studying for it for a month or so now haha.
    The ASVAB. The ASVAB will test your skills in math, reading, spelling, etc. Your score will determine what jobs you qualify for.
    I think you need a pretty high score for AST. Not sure about ET or IT.
    But I would go out and buy a review book and/or go to military.com to take practice ASVAB tests.
    Recruiters, one's Ive talked to at least, like to see scores around 60 or 70 and above.
    Like I said before, the USCG is very selective right now and very competitive. Do everything you can to show recruiters that you are a good choice for the Coast Guard.
    That's what I am doing myself.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    noagbigton

--
    30 Apr 2011 04:28 AM
    It is way longer of a wait than ast
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Vikingsailor796

--
    30 Apr 2011 10:44 AM
    I can shed some light on the ET waiting list. I signed up for the A school on march 1st I got orders for the may 23rd class on march 18th. ET is now critical and a less than 3 month wait list. as you can see in my situation i waited 2 months and some odd days from the time i put orders in to the time i went to school.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    01 May 2011 02:35 PM
    Ast a school is about a 6-8 month wait for ast a-school But if you have your flight physical and security clearance you could get orders to the airman program in about 2 -4 months its fast moving if you are.
    http://www.uscg.mil/epm/docs/A-SchoolList.pdf
    "The only easy day was yesterday"
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 May 2011 03:03 PM
    It's a 6-8 month wait for "qualified members." Which means you have a 4 month mandatory wait before you can put your name on the school list. You have to have a complete flight physical, I have seen them take 2+ months depending on the op tempo of the unit. So, now you're looking at 6-8 month wait just to get qualified, expect another 6-8 months before you get orders after you are fully qualified according to the school's website. So, in reality it's a 12 to 18 month wait for AST school.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement