Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
USMC to USCG
Last Post 31 Mar 2011 08:08 AM by artalley. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
artalley

--
30 Mar 2011 03:00 PM

I am an active duty Marine stationed at Keesler AFB. I am a weather forecasting instructor at the weather school, and I have the MOS 6842 (weather forecaster.) I am trying to find out if this job would be the equivalent of the Marine Science Technician in the Coast Guard. I see Coasties come through the weather course every so often!
    I still have a couple years remaining on my 2nd enlistment with the Marine Corps, but I am trying to see what my options are for joining the Coast Guard. I will also have my BA in Natural Sciences by the time I finish with the Marines, and I won't have more than 8 years active duty service, and I will be 28 years old. Mostly I am concerned about whether or not my job will "transfer" over. Any help or words of wisdom is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Sgt T

USMC Weather Instructor/Forecaster

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Mar 2011 03:19 PM
    Welcome aboard and thank you for your service to the Marines. My ex was an MST, when we were stationed to Kodiak he was the only petty officer at the MSD. There were other MST's at the AirSta, if memory serves, there were 4... they were the weather guys. But that was just an assignment. They could have gone to a Marine Safety Unit or Detachment after that tour and had nothing to do with weather again. My ex never did any time at an AirSta with weather related duties. So while you will have a part of MST, not all of MST. If that makes sense. I don't know how that would translate into coming over to the CG. You would need to speak to a recruiter when you are within 6 months of separation and they can help you with all the answers you will need.

I'm sure there will be someone along that might be able to shed additional light on the subject for you. I have done a lot of shopping at Keesler AFB, my son even had dental surgery when he was 2 years old there. Can you imagine a 2 year old kid running around with a silver grill for teeth!?!?! That was pretty funny. But I'm so grateful for the job the docs at Keesler did for my boy!! Those teeth lasted about 5 years. Far longer than what was predicted for their life expectancy.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    30 Mar 2011 03:37 PM
    Chukles, or one of the recruiters will have a better answer than I can give you. My son fills an MST billett in NYC. His main duties are more Homeland Security related. Vessell boardings and inspections, portside container searches, pollution matters, fuel depot inspections...plus lots of ferry security. In the CG, you can wear a whole bunch of hats, and many ratings sometimes crossover to other duties. He's actually a BM, but doing an MST job. It happens. One thing for sure, he has nothing to do with weather forecasting!

Thanks for your service in the Marine Corps.
    PaulReck

--
    30 Mar 2011 05:16 PM
    Posted By artalley on 30 Mar 2011 03:00 PM

I am an active duty Marine stationed at Keesler AFB. I am a weather forecasting instructor at the weather school, and I have the MOS 6842 (weather forecaster.) I am trying to find out if this job would be the equivalent of the Marine Science Technician in the Coast Guard. I see Coasties come through the weather course every so often!
    I still have a couple years remaining on my 2nd enlistment with the Marine Corps, but I am trying to see what my options are for joining the Coast Guard. I will also have my BA in Natural Sciences by the time I finish with the Marines, and I won't have more than 8 years active duty service, and I will be 28 years old. Mostly I am concerned about whether or not my job will "transfer" over. Any help or words of wisdom is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Sgt T

USMC Weather Instructor/Forecaster

You could always look to seek a commission with NOAA.  It is one of the uniformed services.
    artalley

--
    31 Mar 2011 08:08 AM
    Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement