Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Discharged/switch
Last Post 17 Feb 2013 11:27 AM by Gears. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BrandonZ

--
30 Mar 2011 07:39 PM
    before you read this, all i wanna know is a few simple things not saying I want to do this i just dont want to hear everyone say, dont join the military or CG if you want this. Its just one of those random questions

But I was wondering how hard is it to get discharged if you hate your job? Like for those who really want out of it is it possible to get i think its a Dishonorable discharge to get out?
    And Also heard its possible, but are you able to switch to a different branch while your in if you found out the coast guard wasn't what you wanted?
    PaulReck

--
    30 Mar 2011 11:11 PM

Yes... you could route a chit through the chain of command, requesting an early out; however, why not just honorably live up to your obligation(randomly speaking)?  The person in question has made a committment, which should be lived up to.  Your word should be your bond. Break that, then what else is there?

Chances are that if someone really wanted out, they would be able to do so. 

Dont count on another branch of service allowing you to "transfer over".  All branches are cutting back.  Also, they will not want to waste time on someone who has commitment issues. 

As a kind suggestion, you may want to proof read your posts for sentence structure and grammar.  Proper usage of the english language makes your entries easier for others to follow. 

BrandonZ

--
    30 Mar 2011 11:19 PM
    I'm not saying I wont I was just wondering how hard it would be if something like that would ever come to the point, for me or anyone at that.

and with the switching over. So it is possible. but like you said they are cutting back. that's what i wanted to know. someone that switches over though would they be required to take boot camp over again im sure thats a yes?
    When i meant by switch over i meant switching branches, not drop out of the coast guard then try to get into another branch. so really you wouldn't have commitment issues with completely dropping out of the service.

Its just slang and it happens when i type lol. I see what you mean though just depends on how I'm feeling when I'm typing and such.
    PaulReck

--
    30 Mar 2011 11:27 PM
    It never hurts to talk to a recruiter. Two things must happen in order before it can even be considered:

1. A branch of service must be willing to take you.
    2. Your unit and the Coast Guard must be willing to release you.

Hypothetically speaking, why would your friend want to get out of the CG and go to another branch?
    BrandonZ

--
    30 Mar 2011 11:36 PM
    Thanks, Understandable.

And wasn't for a friend, I'm thinking on joining the coast guard really soon and its just one of those random questions i had. Never hurts to ask and I would serve out my time but was just wondering, thanks
    Mightymouse1119

--
    05 Apr 2011 08:44 PM
    Hi, BrandonZ, please before enlisting in any branch make sure it is something you want to do. I joined the Marines and saw alot of good people do stupid things to get out. I've been out since 2002, after a honorable service (I enjoyed it) but wish to not make it a career. long behold here I'am 9 yrs later about to recommit to serving again. biting my teeth through those tough years paid off, I've been a Police officer for 8 yrs, an have a B.S. in Public Safety. I still keep in contact with a few buddies from the Corps, and one particular friend smoke weed to get out, and is currently working in foot locker (nothing wrong with that), but he told me that the Corps was the only real thing he had done in his life, and know 4yrs is a blurr to the rest of his life. He wishes he would had stuck it through, he has struggle to get financial aid, and any good job will not look twice, of course this is case by case...
    BrandonZ

--
    05 Apr 2011 09:11 PM
    No matter which service I go into I would finish my commitment. It was just one of those random questions that i wanted to ask. And i've worked in oil fields before nothing in the coast guard can be that bad lol. But the reason I was looking at the coast guard is that it would be fun and an adventure. would be a lot different and I got some friends in there too. One told me about it and I was doing research about the CG and then found this site. Has helped a lot on what its about and everything. And it still sounds fun to join. But thanks for sharing your story, it makes a lot of sense and makes one think a lot more.
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    05 Apr 2011 09:53 PM

see? that is an appropriate response.
    lots of folks here....parents, spouses, and enlisted.
    i suppose maybe even an officer or two. i understand
    all of the random questions.....i have 3 daughters. one is
    enlisted and the other two are seriously considering it. they
    have asked some really ridiculous questions......made me stop and
    think how the young brain runs rampant sometimes.
    ~Jen~
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    06 Apr 2011 03:35 PM
    I understood why you were asking....just curious, right? No harm in that. And I don't know if this will help but two of my daughters joined the CG. The oldest one put in her four years, liked it, no problem there. Her younger sister enlisted a year later and really thought it was what she wanted. She did great in boot camp, went straight to OS A School afterwards and did well there, too. Was assigned to a 378' after school and for about six months, things were still cool. In fact, I can remember her calling me once.....telling she how she'd figured out that she could make E6 in so many years and how excited she was. Then, all of a sudden, she started freakin' out. She got depressed, lonely, anxious, you name it. She was also having some issues with people at work.....nothing horrible or anything but it was bad enough that she got to the point where she didn't want to go to work anymore. The Coast Guard did their best to help her......she was temporarily reassigned to an office job at the base and they hooked her up with a psychiatrist and everything. The cutter she'd been on was preparing for a six month around the world deployment and they really needed her back so they did everything they could think of to get her squared away. But she just got it in her head that she didn't want to be there anymore. And there really is no way to tell ahead of time whether or not you're going to adjust to military life. Unless you've actually been through it, you just can't know. Anyway, they finally gave her an honorable discharge. I remember the day she went to the boat to sign her discharge papers. She noticed that on her DD214, they used a separation code for misconduct and/or dereliction of duty, something like that. She couldn't understand that because she'd never been in trouble or anything so I told her to talk with her psychiatrist, a Naval Officer, and see if he could help her. He immediately got on the phone with HQ and must have really raised a ruckus about that because less than a week later, the CG decided not to use that negative code for people who fail to adapt and I believe they actually have a separation code now that says "failure to adapt", something along those lines. Anyway, I have no idea if she could have gotten into another branch of the military after that.....she had no interest in that so we never investigated it.....but that occasional time when she feels bad about not fulfilling her committment, I always remind her that because of her and Dr K, at least other people who go through what she did don't have to worry about being booted out for misconduct and have that hanging over their heads.

Laurie
    mamav

--
    06 Apr 2011 06:23 PM
    You know this thread brings up something that my son is dealing with. Like your daughter ltate, he sailed through boot, did great at his first station, went to A school and thought that he wanted to be on a particular job path. Once he was assigned to his new duty station he discovered that he didn't enjoy what he wa doing and felt that he had made a mistake. After struggling with depression over his decision he finally went to his command and advised them (per protocol) that he wanted to drop from the program and be re-assigned. Commands answer was that they would think about it. Long story short, he is still at the station and very unhappy but wants to fulfill his committment and is trying like crazy to get re-assigned. Sad part is that he wanted to make a career out of the CG but the time he has spent at the new station has left a bad taste and now he can't wait for his time to be over. He is looking at solicitations and I'd kind of like to know what the process is for that, is there a way to get out of that station and to a better spot where he can enjoy his job and as he says "feel like I'm making a difference"??
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Apr 2011 05:39 AM
    Volunteer solicitations are only temporary, and have to approved by the command. If his is looking to transfer out on a critical fill, it also has to be approved by the command.

He reported to his unit, and he doesn't like it. I can understand that, not every unit is good for every person. But, is he doing anything to improve his time there? Is he getting his qualifications done? Completing quals makes a person valuable to the crew, shows maturity, and can lead to privileges. Does he not get along with the crew? Or, a certain crew member? Then all he has to do is wait, eventually they will leave. I guarantee it. Does he not like the location? All he has to do is wait, eventually, he will leave. I guarantee it. Does he not like his rate? In two years he can try to switch, but there is no guarantee it will happen.

If it's none of the above, he should contact his local Work-Life Office and speak with a counselor there. They have the resources to help him out.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    sardaddy

--
    07 Apr 2011 08:19 AM
    Brandonz,

Your question is good as I think a lot of people wonder but don't ask. Here is the gist. Once you are in it is nearly impossible to get out before your enlistment is over with things going your way. Over the last year there was a program allowing early out opportunities as alluded to earlier but they came and left quickly. The best you could hope for was a failure to adapt discharge which isn't that great of a thing to have on your record. If you get out with a dishonorable discharge, the rest of your life could be tough. You lose all VA benefits, many employees won't hire you with one, and it just doesn't look good. You certainly won't be going to another service after that. So if you enter the service be prepared to stay the whole commitment.

If you wanted to join another service, it is possible but, with a very few and odd exceptions, you will have to complete your obligated time with the service you are in before you switch and then there is still no guarantee that you will switch.

Some people do enter the service with rose colored glasses and once they are in find that things are not what they hoped. That is undertandable and of course nobody knows for sure how they will enjoy the service until they are there. I didn't like my job at all when I joined the Army so I was pretty frustrated for a while. But, instead of sulking for too long or trying to get out, I looked for ways to make my job better. I eventually went to flight school so I didn't have to stay in the job I enlisted for but theI decided I didn't want to be in the Army either so I applied for a commission in the CG I have now been in for about 22 years. Of course not everyone will take the same path as everyone else but there are ways to make life better if you are willing to work hard in changing where you want to be and you are willing to wait out the hard times for a little while.

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    07 Apr 2011 04:29 PM
    Well said Sar!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Lulu1234

--
    17 Feb 2013 11:25 AM
    I need some feedback. I am very depressed, 7 months into the coast guard. I am older and have my 2 degrees. I want to get out because this is not the life for me. I feel bad for trying to leave but knowing that I have about 4 years left senses me into panic mode. I spoke to my supervisor. He says I need to discuss this with a mental doctor before I make the decision. My only issue is that I was unemployed before I came in. Now when I leave I maybe unemployed again. What should I do? I'm going crazy!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    17 Feb 2013 11:27 AM
    Lulu please PM me so we can talk about this off of the forum. We have had a lot of people asking how to get out and its just not likely unless you want a messy discharge.

If you email me though we can talk about exactly what going on and see what we can do about it
    You can only make yourself look bad.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Feb 2013 11:27 AM
    What exactly are you unhappy about? Is it the unit, location, your general duties?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement