Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Critical Rating/Required time in rate question
Last Post 03 Apr 2011 08:42 PM by christopherruppel. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
christopherruppel

--
02 Apr 2011 12:50 PM
    First off, my name is Chris Ruppel.  I'm currently in DEP, and set to leave April 26th.  I have a BA in history, so I signed up to graduate basic as an E-3.  Thanks to Google, I stumbled across the following sites:

The aforementioned sites state that if one is pursuing a critical rate (IS/OS/FS) that their four month wait is waived before they can put their names on one of the three's A school lists.  My question is, does this mean that after I graduate basic, and report to my first duty station (as an E-3) that I can go ahead and put my name on a crit. rate A school list, or are there other qualifications I'd need to meet that might not be mentioned on the list?

Now I've noticed upon graduating A school, there is an obligated time in service.  Does this mean I will be unable to apply for OCS until I've met my obligation, or do the orders to OCS trump the obligated time in service?

On a side note, find it interesting that IS is a critical rate, yet has a projected wait time of over 24 months.

Thank you all in advance for any help!  This is my first post here, and I look forward to working with (well some of) you soon!

Christopher Ruppel
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Apr 2011 04:32 PM
    For critical rates the 4 month wait to put your name on the list is waived, but whether or not your name goes on the list is at command discretion.

The obligated time in service only applies to those who are close to the end of their contracts. It won't affect orders to OCS, if you get selected.

Post any questions you have about the IS rate in the appropriate thread, IS Master Chief will be able to help you out.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    christopherruppel

--
    02 Apr 2011 05:57 PM
    Roger that.  Thank you for the clarifications!

Chris
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Apr 2011 06:14 PM
    One thing to consider... Please don't take a rate just to get advanced quickly. What if it turns out you hate playing secret squirrel as an IS? What if you find staring at a screen and listening for mayday calls as an OS makes you want to jump off the flying bridge? What if you despise cooking and you want to stick your hand in a deep fat fryer as an FS? Then consider it takes 3, 4, 5 years to get picked up for OCS??? You will be absolutely miserable. Will making rate faster be worth it?

Now I'm not saying maybe one of those jobs isn't the perfect fit for you, I'm not saying you won't get picked up for OCS on the first shot... But really sit down, think about it and choose what YOU want to do, even if it takes 2 years to get there or 10! Never, ever settle!!!

This is not written with a rude thought in mind, so please don't read it that way. To be happy you might have to wait to get it but you will be rewarded far more in your personal life for it. Best of luck!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    christopherruppel

--
    03 Apr 2011 08:42 PM
    I appreciate the concern. Based on other threads I've read on this board, I can see that quick advancement tends to be the focus of a lot of new members (which I understand!). The prospect of more money and more responsibility is nice. But as you point out, it isn't worth it if you don't enjoy the work.

I am not going to be completely naive at this point and say I am in this for the long haul, but I am very career minded. I joined the Coast Guard with the intention of either making a career out of it, or having whatever job I end up in giving me enough work experience (in something I like!) to secure me a similar job upon getting out. I'm 27, a little older than most new recruits. I've been in the retail world since I graduated from college, and that isn't rewarding to me. I'm very much looking forward to contributing to a cause that contributes to our society, saves lives, and has a positive impact in the world.

And I did not take your comments as rude, again I do appreciate the advice. I've been researching all the different avenues and looking at MST/BM for the hands on aspect vs. IS (and OS) for the experience, and security clearances that might be more transferable to the civilian world. Either way I'm very excited to be joining this organization!

Thank you,
    Christopher Ruppel
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement