Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Being On base.
Last Post 08 Jun 2012 06:53 PM by Browns24. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SamuraiX

--
18 Apr 2011 06:11 PM
    Ok, here is a weird question. If I join the reserves, whats the policy of returning to the base on your non-drill days? I know that there will more than likely be no pay for whatever you do, but if i ever have an unexpected day off can i go in and do something? Anything? Get qualified, paint, just help out, whatever? I just wanted to know because i am still struggling with the whole reserves vs. active debate.

Thank you in advanced for all your help,
    Danny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    18 Apr 2011 06:48 PM
    Hi Danny! Choices, choices... they're nice to have yet difficult. Especially when both options have great benefits. Your question is an interesting one. I would like to know the answer also, because I'm going reserves. I'm also curious as to how the answer will help in your decision to go AD or reserve....
    "It's classified"
    SamuraiX

--
    18 Apr 2011 06:56 PM
    It really wont help much in the debate, it is just that at the moment I am leaning more favorably to the Reserves. I do however have an amazing wife that will support me either way, however i know she will be pissed if i get a billet in Alaska for example
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    18 Apr 2011 07:10 PM
    Yes, I understand.  I am too old to be considered for AD, but if I could go AD, moving would be very hard on my family. My husband has a great job that is not available everywhere.  So, reserves here I come 
    "It's classified"
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 Apr 2011 05:32 AM
    If I join the reserves, whats the policy of returning to the base on your non-drill days?

If you want to volunteer some time at the unit you would be able to, I would call ahead first and make sure it's approved by the CO. I wouldn't see it being a problem.

Reserves vs. Active... If I had a great job that paid well in an area that I liked I would have joined the Reserves. Since, I had an HS diploma, a job I hated, and lived in a place that was basically two sand dunes left of a Sarlacc Pit I decided to go Active so one day I can find a job that pays well in an area I like. That's my .02.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Jesus

--
    19 Apr 2011 06:13 AM
    It really depends on what you want, concerning reserve or active duty. You're the one who is going to be doing the work everyday or once a month and a couple weeks in the summer.

Gears, that description of why you went active duty is great, haha.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    19 Apr 2011 03:11 PM
    When your a reservist, you can go on base and help out if you want to. Most reserve stations will have a mandatory all hands weekend. If you have a day off of work and you want to go to the base, you can go in the morning or afternoon and be paid for that 1 drill day or half day if you arrive at noon. Your drill days do not have to be done on weekends. They can be done any day of the week, You will just have to send a drill request to whoever approves them the day you work and your good to go. I was a reserve for a year and had days where I showed up for admin things, spent half the day and counted that as half a drill.
    SamuraiX

--
    19 Apr 2011 08:59 PM
    Thank you all for your answers. As for the doing drills on weekdays, i dont mind when i do them. Just if i go into the reserves i would like to do as much as i can for them. Pay or not. Im just a little stressed cause i want to join AD, but my wife is very happy where she we are, and i dont want to make her move and give up her life here for me.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    20 Apr 2011 04:30 PM
    They will only pay you for the designated days that you have to drill, I forget the total amount. Once you pass the amount that you MUST serve, its basically all volunteer work from there till the start of the next Calender year I believe, not fiscal year.
    Firefighter_Hargrove

--
    23 May 2011 10:41 AM
    yeah but all the hours that you put in other than your required drills, they add up for retirement points and you can retire sooner.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    23 May 2011 05:26 PM
    No they don't. The only days that quailfy for points are the ones you get paid for. If you come in every day for a year, you will only get points and money for the days the CG authorized you to be there. You might get paid for additional days beyond your drill dates but you have to have orders to do so.
    uscgandrews

--
    08 Jun 2012 05:20 PM
    I'd like to add to this.

I've been told that an employer cannot hold any time you spend in the military against you.

If my unit approves me to come work on a non drill day(unpaid), will I be able to provide documentation saying that I was working on base under military orders? I get the feeling I will enjoy working on base much more than my current job, and it would be nice to spend some extra time doing something that truley matters.

Basically, work cannot hold military time against you. Does this still stand if I volunteer for unpaid work on base?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Jun 2012 05:41 PM
    Your employer only has to allow for you to complete your 48 drills per year along with any deployments. I doubt they would have any obligations other than that, but I could be wrong.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    uscgandrews

--
    08 Jun 2012 05:53 PM
    I'm in the same situation as many reservists where I have family matters that would not allow me to go active for long periods of time(at least not yet), but hopefully there are deployment opportunities with my unit so I can be a part of the coast guard a little more than a weekend a month.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    08 Jun 2012 06:53 PM
    A common misconception with the reserves is the one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year. That's the minimum that has to be done to complete your obligated drills in a year. Once you reach your 48 drill days, your basically drilling for retirement points until the next calendar year. You can drill multiple times in a month if you wanted to. If your drilling for unpaid drill days, you won't be under orders. Its volunteer work basically. You don't receive individual orders everytime you drill.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement