Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Today's music
Last Post 17 Aug 2011 04:04 PM by Iceman1978. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
21 Apr 2011 04:47 PM
    I am of the old school when it comes to music. IMO, there has not been a true musical talent since the late 60's, early 70's. Gone are the day when one needs true talent to sell records and generate a following. We live in a society where looking back a few years, Michael Jackson and Madonna are listed as the greats! Seriously?? Moody blues, Hendrix, Abba, Chubby Checker, Zeppelin, Skinyrd and Floyd....not to mention the big bands is where it was at! What doth thou say?
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    21 Apr 2011 04:54 PM
    IMO, The music kids like will always change just as they changed when you were a kid from what your parents liked. My mother was listening to Smokey Robinson, Elvis, Temptations and Bill Withers, those are the greats to her, MJl and madonna were the one's who were the most famous for my era, so to us, they are the greats for our era, just like, and I don't wanna say it, but Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga would be greats to the kids now-a-days. It will change with every decade. The bands you named were great during your era, and many people still like them but I bet your parents didn't.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    21 Apr 2011 04:58 PM
    The issue is, These bands were not of my era, Not totally anyway. I was a music kid of the 80's. Madonna was the big thing. But the music, and all its manipulation lost it's true beginning. There is nothing better than unplugged raw talent. I agree it's a generational thing, but even with that, Music has lost its true soul.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    21 Apr 2011 05:00 PM
    I am not a music nut by any stretch of the imagination, but I did not like having to listen to the music my mother played, and I cannot stand the music my kids like to listen too...so I listen to the oldies but goodies of the 80's...lol

For my fire academy graduation, I put together a DVD of the kids training and ask them to select music for it...I vetoed the first 5 songs presented last year and am cringing with the list being created for this year...my LT told me I was showing my age...lol
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Apr 2011 05:48 PM
    Music has lost its true soul.

I agree. Music today is written behind the scenes, spoon fed to the latest fad artist, and they vomit out the songs onto adoring fans who eat it up while it's still warm. The world will never have the likes of Smokey Robinson (Tracks of My Tears, greatest song ever - see the movie Platoon for confirmation on that.), Aerosmith (every album from Get a Grip back, their new stuff is rubbish), and Collective Soul (those guys just keep getting better.)

However, I do have a soft spot for Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold, they put out some great music for working out.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    21 Apr 2011 06:49 PM
    gears.......i think i speak for the majority of us "older" folk....we have no idea who those bands are.

todays music and todays movies for the most part seem to be remakes of the 80's. especially with the movies. arthur? seriously and dudley moore isn't playing the part? wtf is that?

and i understand that each generation has it's "own" thing.......but screamo music.....isn't that an oxymoron? screamo music? there are a few catchy pop tunes out there....i can go with them. hell i have gaga for my ringtone.......but where does this thug rap come from???? what is the point of it?
    ~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    21 Apr 2011 07:55 PM
    Thug rap is describing the life of inner city people. Rappers found the way into the music industry with the likes of Beastie Boys and NWA and took it from there. Early 90's was Tupac, Snoop Dog, the whole east coast/west coast fued. It's just takin over more of the mainstream music now and days. There are those rappers who have absolutely nothing good to say about anything but you do have those who talk about life in poorer inner cities. They may talk vulgar, but they are telling stories, and if ppl listen, they will just keep telling stories. The songs about money, alcohol, women, drugs, well its apparent that they are the $ makers. If you think about it, it's just different people telling similiar stories, just who has the better following, rythm and beat.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Apr 2011 09:56 PM
    I have seen Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Hatebreed, As I Lay Dying, Linkin Park, System o a Down, Alice in Chains, Velvet Revolver, The Moody Blues, Deep Purple, Joe Satriani, Thin Lizzy, Rob Zombie, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Metallica, 38 Special, Brad Paisley, Jake Owen, Trace Adkins, Sugarland... If it's music, I'll see it, listen to it, buy it... It doesn't matter to me... Music 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Colin is the same way! He has everything from Beethoven to Ozzy Ozbourne on his IPOD and he loves all of it!

I have also been to venues of 50 people to venues of thousands! Music is a wonderful thing!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    22 Apr 2011 05:45 AM
    i love music as well. and i have been to more concerts than i can shake a stick at. from the beach boys to tina turner and leann rimes to ac/dc. i have pretty much seen them all. like i said, i have listened to some of the recent stuff.....hard not to with three girls running around here. just a few types of it that make no sense to me at all. our oldest son was a musician before he passed away so goodness knows we heard plenty there as well.

as for the rap thing. i understand the history of rap even better i understand the purpose of rap. when rap first started it was not really anything like what we hear today. i am all for our constitutional rights but i do question when the music is all about violence and b*tches and ho's what kind of message are we sending to our youth. yes, the music of the 80's was all sex, drugs, and rock and roll. i understand.....however as i near as i remember the sex was consentual and the drugs were recreational. not saying that makes it ok.....but the delivery of the message can make a world of difference.
    ~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Apr 2011 06:59 AM
    the whole east coast/west coast fued.

That ended in murder! FUN!

The message of music has evolved, but that was inevitable. When the Beatles were singing about holding hands, the parents freaked. You can't hold hands! That's like 3rd base! So, naturally the envelope had to be pushed, and will continue to be pushed. As the years wear on, the outfits will get smaller, and the lyrics will get raunchier. From what I've heard every Lady Gaga song is about sex. Nothing wrong with that, unless you're a 13 year old girl/bot who is getting mixed messages from her parents, the media, retail outlets, etc, etc.

@Jen I recommend you youtube Nightmare and Dear God by Avenged Sevenfold, very catchy! And, Just Stop and 10,000 Fists by Disturbed, equally catchy.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    newms

--
    24 Apr 2011 04:57 PM

I can't listen to Popular music anymore. I can't listen to the radio anymore - even the 'oldies' stations have betrayed me! As everyone has mentioned, the music today is a brain bleaching experiencing fueled by simple rhythms layered into a 'complex', 'interesting' way. I just can't do it.

I have to go out of my way to find a band, or musician who is saying something refreshing..and it can be hard to find..sometimes I have to look through the dusty vinyl section to find it, and maybe it was written 33 years ago, but hey, I need to listen to SOMETHING of value! But I'm happy to report - there are A LOT of bands and performers out there today making music like this. You'll never hear them on the radio, but that's okay, IMO.

newms! PATFORSWA
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    25 Apr 2011 05:43 PM
    If something is going to destroy modern musical talent, it wil be...autotune!!
    Iceman1978

--
    17 Aug 2011 04:04 PM
    I really don't understand a lot of what passes as music these days. For me music has to have meaning. It has to have a positive message or have memories attached to it. Here are a few of my favorite pieces and YouTube links if you want to hear them.

"On the Beach" by Chris Rea,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOhVEqHOgIg (original)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqCi_25_R-4 (extended version) I like this one better.

"It's Probably Me" by Sting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K_pC9Szfxg

"No Woman, No Cry" by Bob Marley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4kpqDF9j6Q

"Riders on the Storm" by The Doors (hands down one of the best)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qRJIBtbc2c

"Nothin' but a Good Time" by Poison
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uywA4F7Pcwk

"Summertime" by Will Smith (this song will always remind me of high school)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA

"When I Fall in Love" by Chris Botti
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWEIPMYfZiI

"Flamenco Sketches" by Miles Davis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3W_alUuFkA

"Freddie Freeloader" by Miles Davis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPfFhfSuUZ4

"What'll I Do" performed by Chris Botti & Paula Cole
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3WXqqwQCkk

"I Never Thought I'd See the Day" by Sade (I first heard this on True Lies when Jamie Lee Curtis enters the hotel suite)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDikGMM62Ok

"Concerto No.1 C Major" by Haydn, Performed by Rostropovich (My grandmother used to take me to the symphony when I was a child and I've loved it ever since)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MCYCvgm3X4

"Jesus Christ is Risen Today" I don't know who it's by, but when I hear this at church played on the pipe organ and sung by the choir it always make me feel closer to God.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMwPEmUMP7U

I also like some Hall & Oates, Poison, Eagles, Pink Floyd, etc.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement