Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Phone tracking, progress or invasion?
Last Post 23 Apr 2011 07:20 AM by Old Guard2. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
22 Apr 2011 06:43 AM
    Apple Inc.'s iPhones and Google Inc.'s Android smartphones regularly transmit their locations back to Apple and Google, respectively, according to data and documents analyzed by The Wall Street Journal—intensifying concerns over privacy and the widening trade in personal data.
    Google and Apple are gathering location information as part of their race to build massive databases capable of pinpointing people's locations via their cellphones. These databases could help them tap the $2.9 billion market for location-based services—expected to rise to $8.3 billion in 2014, according to research firm Gartner Inc.

In the case of Google, according to new research by security analyst Samy Kamkar, an HTC Android phone collected its location every few seconds and transmitted the data to Google at least several times an hour. It also transmitted the name, location and signal strength of any nearby Wi-Fi networks, as well as a unique phone identifier.
    Google declined to comment on the findings.

Apple, meanwhile, says it "intermittently" collects location data, including GPS coordinates, of many iPhone users and nearby Wi-Fi networks and transmits that data to itself every 12 hours, according to a letter the company sent to U.S. Reps. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) and Joe Barton (R-Texas) last year. Apple didn't respond to requests for comment.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...TopStories

I have mixed feelings on this one. I understand the need to build the best service possible, but with the way that our government and states are treading on the rights of its people, how soon before this data is pulled and used against us?
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Apr 2011 08:34 AM
    Frankly, I don't like the idea of a corporation knowing where my favorite public bathroom is, I like the idea of going to that location and finding advertising that is posted based on my internet searches being displayed there. It's only a matter of time before the gov't uses the Patriot Act or some other legislation to require the corporations to release that information, "in the interest of national security." George Orwell got it right, only the gov't isn't imposing on our right to privacy we are giving up our right to privacy with every FB post, text message, app download, and google search. Welcome to the New World Order!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    22 Apr 2011 10:03 AM
    I read something similar online that said the government is indeed trying access this technology in a situation that is the reverse of Global Positioning Satellite Services, where the government developed and corporations wanted it.
    Now its the corporations who are perfecting human tracking, and the government wants in.
    I too have mixed feelings.
    Personally, I feel that short of a huge solar flare or EMP burst, technology will never EVER move backwards. Corporations do not consider the "moral" implications of what they are doing, only the bottom line. That's what corporations are meant to do after all.
    I don't like the idea of them knowing where I am every seven seconds, especially since the only reason they really do it is so that they can advertise to you.
    Anyone ever play the game Mass Effect 2? In the game, advertisements access your private info and speak to you by name. Shoot me now, if that's what we have to look forward to.
    On the other hand, from a law enforcement standpoint... if some dirtbags iphone provides the evidence that proves he was at the scene of a murder when it happened (which doesn't just happen in Law and Order from what I understand)...outstanding.
    Honestly I feel like this is where tech is leading us. We either have to get used to the idea, or toss our computers/phones out the window forever.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    22 Apr 2011 10:25 AM
    Very well said master,

I am torn. There are some great benefits using technology like this. The technology part does not scare me anywhere near as the potential uses of the information. Similar to the national records medical database. The implications of misuse are huge! At what point will corporations be able to access our medical records and determine pre-existing conditions that make them not hire? There is a lot of data floating out there. The misuse is potentially devastating.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Apr 2011 10:29 AM
    I agree when it comes to solving crimes being able to account for a person's every movement can be a great alibi or cement a conviction. Where does it stop though? A person in a relationship decides to be unfaithful can be tracked, what's to stop a person who can access the tech from revealing the infidelity to a spouse. Stalking will potentially be taken to a whole new lever. Interested in that cute chick at the coffee shop? A few key strokes later, and you'll be able to watch her every move.

People are obviously willing to give up privacy for convenience. What can you do?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Apr 2011 11:11 AM
    It is a slippery slope. We were talking about wire tapping of phones... hey, if homeland security has nothing better to do than listen to me have a pissfest about Scott to my mom or my mom moan about my dad, what do I care, I have nothing to hide. However, at what point does it stop!?!? Once the technology is there it is hard, if not impossible to go backwards at that point.

My father will not get an EZ-pass, toll tag whatever you call it in your respective states for the same reason... it shows him going through a toll booth at exit 1 at 8:00 and exiting at exit 12, 100 miles up the road in 45 minutes. Well, hmmmm... don't need to be a math whiz to figure out he was speeding. How long before they use that info to issue him a "virtual speeding ticket" based on his toll tag time?!?!?! "They" are watching us at every turn, in every aspect. Learn to live with it or put tinfoil on the windows and never go outside again.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    22 Apr 2011 02:23 PM
    haha.......and yet the lady posts after claiming she wouldn't.

well of course they are gonna get cha with an ez pass.....
    they already do with traffic cameras. i don't know how many
    people have told me....apparently i was speeding last week at such and such intersection.
    i received a ticket today in the mail!!
    ~Jen~
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Apr 2011 02:28 PM
    Ez pass isn't controversy, this and music I'll post on... anything else... nope.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Apr 2011 03:37 PM
    I love my EZ pass. It's great to drive across country and roll right past all the people reaching for cash at the toll booths. I haven't gotten any speeding tickets for it... yet.

I don't have anything to hide either. But, why should anyone in the gov't be allowed to listen to my phone calls?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Apr 2011 04:02 PM
    I don't think they should be allowed... not without VERY reliable reasons... I bought 50 tons of fertilizer and a diesel only gas station come to mind... but otherwise they shouldn't be allowed to listen in. My thing is I have nothing to hide and I can't imagine why they would want to listen to me talk about Scott being a putz or Colin and I laughing hysterically at his father (something we actually do quite often LOL). So while I don't care if they listen, I don't think they should be allowed to either.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    22 Apr 2011 08:47 PM
    EZ Pass, Toll Tags should be mandatory for all vehicles, they should be issued with drivers licenses and new cars...there was nothing worse then zipping up to the toll booth only to be stopped by a coin thrower...

Thankfully in the Dallas area they have gone to ZIP Pass on all Dallas area toll roads...no more coins or cash, you zip through , if you have the toll tag it works normal, if you do not have one then ZIP reads your license plate and they bill you...no more stopped traffic. Awesome!

Not going to be able to stop them from listening or knowing where we are so we should just get used to it. If it helps solve crimes, locate lost people and stop terrorists then why not.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    22 Apr 2011 08:48 PM

Posted By Old Guard2 on 22 Apr 2011 03:28 PM
    Ez pass isn't controversy, this and music I'll post on... anything else... nope.

Waht no Star Wars?!?!?!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Apr 2011 07:20 AM
    I hated that damn ZIP pass in Dallas. I got no bill, no bill, no bill then suddenly I was contacted by a collection agency that I owed like $300 for a .60 cent toll. I called ZIP and got that settled. But a .60 toll did end up costing me about $85.00. They are thieves in an extrodinary way! I have never had any of the toll tag things because of my gypsy blood and the way I move, they aren't necessarily good between ALL states. I would rather stop, chuck some change, know I paid and move on my merry way. I don't care if the tags pass along info on my where abouts, I just like knowing I paid and then go along down the road.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement