Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Non-existent Olympic sport.
Last Post 03 May 2011 12:41 PM by Eoghan Roe. 29 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
01 May 2011 08:57 PM
    What one sport that is not currently an Olympic sport do you wish was in the Olympics?
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    01 May 2011 09:13 PM
    i dont know but i do think curling should be taken out of the olympics
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    01 May 2011 09:38 PM
    Curling takes mastery...the precise sweeping makes or breaks the gold medal winners.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    02 May 2011 06:43 AM
    Indoor Soccer! If you've ever watched/played... SO intense.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 May 2011 06:59 AM
    Fox hunting and possibly jenga.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 May 2011 07:40 AM
    Bowling! I would have a shot at olympic gold!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 May 2011 09:30 AM
    Bowling, why don't they just make beer drinking and darts Olympic sports?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 May 2011 10:45 AM
    I'm all for darts, too! Another one I could probably medal in! Drinking in my old days, not so sure I wouldn't see th eunderside of a table early now in my life!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    02 May 2011 10:54 AM
    I know I'm probably gonna get hell for saying this but....

Bowling, darts, and golf are hobbies. They don't belong in the Olympics.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 May 2011 11:05 AM
    Hobbies!! A hobby is model planes. A hobby is cross stitching. (Something else I can win a medal at... who can sit on their bum the longest and stitch without a break.) A hobby is ceramic plate painting. Bowling is a SPORT, king of champions, SPORT! I know, it's the only way I can be considered a sportsman... because of all the time on my rump doing stitch work! HAHAHA
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    02 May 2011 11:17 AM
    Sure wish I was good enough at one of those hobbies to get paid hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars just for playing...

I love the "who can sit on their bum the longest and stitch without a break"...that would be a medal earned...lol
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    02 May 2011 12:10 PM
    Heh, don't get me wrong guys, I love bowling and darts... and billiards... golf not so much. But I just can't consider them a sport. Much like I still can't consider NASCAR or any auto racing for that matter a sport.

I was trying to think of exactly how I would define them after posting that and I'd say there are two requirements. A) If you can play it alone and B) If you can do it without breaking a sweat and still be successful.

And Capt, there are Major League Gamers (Yes they do exist) who make that much money playing video games. Is that a sport?

Now don't get me wrong, you CAN break a sweat bowling. But in most cases you won't.

I was going to go with just the first part... but then I was thinking things like... gymnastics... I would still consider that a sport.

Please challenge me on this though. I would love to enhance my definition.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    02 May 2011 12:36 PM
    Tough Mudder should be an event.
    I've yet to see an Olympic event that involves running through fire and electrified wires.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 May 2011 12:57 PM

Posted By Eoghan Roe on 02 May 2011 12:10 PM
    I was trying to think of exactly how I would define them after posting that and I'd say there are two requirements. A) If you can play it alone and B) If you can do it without breaking a sweat and still be successful.

You can't play football alone. I'm fairly certain you can't pitch, hit, field, run all alone in baseball. However, in bowling, it is only one guy that gets the 300 next to his name and if you've ever watched bowling (I know it is rather exciting and people with weak hearts should avoid that at all costs) a guy with a string of 9 strikes going into the 10th... he is sweating!!! Buckets generally! Same with a dart thrower, if you are in the singles portion of your league and all you have to do is double out and you are at 2. Any idea how hard it is to shoot that dbl 1 when you absolutely need it!

So either you missed something in your post, I misunderstood what you were saying or (and this is my favorite) I just completely disproved your theory!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    02 May 2011 01:27 PM
    I phrased it incorrectly. Basically if it meets both of those requirements it is NOT a sport. I've tried applying this to everything.

Baseball, Basketball, Football, Futbol To actually play the game it requires a team and you're going to sweat... even if it's 20 degrees outside.

Golf, even carrying your own bags, probably not going to break a sweat in 20 degree weather. XD Darts, bowling, billiards are all played indoors and can be played alone.

I suppose the sweat definition is more important than the team portion, although I should specify it needs to be from exertion, not simply being in a hot place.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 May 2011 02:58 PM
    Nope, I'm standing by my favorite option, I disproved your theory! HAHA

You can drive a NASCAR car alone but you can never win anything without your team. They get very sweaty from location and work being completed. So NASCAR is a sport. This debate I like! I can play with this and not offend anyone. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 May 2011 03:04 PM
    Swimming isn't a sport?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 May 2011 03:16 PM
    Swimming can require you to be part of a team, if you are in relay matches. But I'm fairly certain you aren't sweating when swimming! At least not so that anyone can tell!

Diving!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    02 May 2011 03:29 PM
    Well see that's why I can't figure out how to define it. Swimming is definitely a sport. Diving also.

But here's the test... you guys come up with a definition of what a sport is.

And as for NASCAR... I've always argued that IF you want to consider it a sport, you should cheer for the pit crew more than the driver.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 May 2011 04:06 PM
    They actually do have pit crew races, time trials and every week there is a poll run by Sprint that asks for fans to vote for who will be the fastest pit crew that week. However, you have to consider the pit crew can be the finest in the world, top notch, better than the best at any car task thrown at them... if the driver can't finish a race because he is incompetent, the pit crew will offer nothing more than a fancy tire changing session, if the driver even makes it until the first caution... or will he cause the first caution????

Yes, I'm a NASCAR fan, been one for a long time. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    02 May 2011 10:23 PM
    I would like to see them make some right hand turns every once in a while. Macie I was surprised you did not respond much sooner and harsher on Does NASCAR slam... :-)

Gaming is a talent Roe...one talent which I do not have, in any sense of the word. With generation Y here...gaming just might be the up coming New World Virtual Olympics. :-)

Diving...anyone can fall off a board or platform with a little grace...except for me, I would look more like a train wreck...lol.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    03 May 2011 05:43 AM
    I can see that point of view, however I suppose looking at the driver alone... I see very little difference in the concept of a NASCAR driver and you sitting in your chair knitting. They sit on their butt for a long time essentially controlling what someone else put in motion. (Yes, they press the accelerator but that's like the last stage of putting that car into motion.)

And I know gaming takes talent... trust me I know But because something takes talent doesn't make it a sport. Writing novels, painting pictures, throwing darts etc. They all take talent too.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 May 2011 07:04 AM
    +1 Roe

Sports should be defined as those competitions where the human body is pushed beyond average limits to achieve victory. Push the pedal, turn the wheel, take out that guy's left fender... not a sport.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 May 2011 07:47 AM
    Sit in a car, in 150* heat (taking into account air temp, track temp & no a/c in the vehicle), water breaks that last less than 13 seconds, no pee breaks, no television time outs, no food and no standing up stretching your legs. You are sitting there and you have to have precise calculation so at 180 mph you do not go head first into a wall and burst your car into flames. They also do right turns in road course races. There just aren't many road course races in the circuit. Compare that to football, baseball, hockey... where you actually have the opportunity to sit out half the game or just say you can't head back in and go on the DL, still getting your millions of dollars in salary. If drivers don't drive their car, for the entire race, they don't bank bucks. They also only bank the bucks for the position they win in the race. Peyton Manning is guaranteed how much money even if he sits out an entire season because he has toe cramps! They are far more taxed and stressed physically because race car drivers do not stop for 400-600 miles depending upon the race.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 May 2011 08:29 AM
    Good point. I agree the NFL has a bunch of over paid whiners on the roster. I still don't see NASCAR as a sport. It's driving a car... really fast. And, all the cars are set to the same standard. Athlete's, and I use this term loosely, train their bodies to endure physical hardships, i.e. lifting heavy weights, running long distances, using performance enhancing drugs, signing huge contracts and endorsement deals, and faking and/or milking injuries to the fullest extent.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 May 2011 09:36 AM
    This I like debating... I can't truly upset anyone. I can just say why I think NASCAR is a sport and provide some valid arguments. But I also respect people that don't view it as a sport because it is kind of a strange "sport".

I do know drivers follow very strict workout standards as do the pit crews. Also NASCAR members are generally held to a higher moral standard. You hear of a driver pulled over for DUI, you will not see him on a track again. There was a young up & coming kid a few years ago... he was pulled over. He was only 2 points over the legal limit. He had his ride pulled and he hasn't been back on a track since. There is no 2nd chance sort of thing when breaking the law. Even though NASCAR evolved from the days of moonshining, it's kind of ironic if they get a DUI they are gone. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 May 2011 09:41 AM
    This I like debating... I can't truly upset anyone.

I'm mad as hell! And, I'm not going to take it anymore!

It's nice to hear at least one.. event! HA! Has integrity. I'm not a NASCAR fan, couldn't care less. I'm not a sports fan at all. So, I like to think I can be pretty objective about all of this. What do the driver's physically do to train for a race? Olympians, not that I care about the Olympics either, train for a lifetime to hone their bodies to perfection. How hard can it be to sit and drive? I've driven for 15 hours before. I wouldn't call myself and athlete though.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    03 May 2011 09:55 AM
    I wouldn't even say it's so much a strange "sport." I respect NASCAR drivers for their skill. Again, much like I respect bowlers, dart throwers, billiards players, poker players, JEOPARDY players etc. Everyone has their own skills and apply them to their craft. I just can't bring myself to see them as sports (proper).

That said, you do bring up a few good points on the problem with some things I do consider sports. I think there should be higher standards on things like DUIs and drug use. I was watching a show on Baseball history and they were interviewing players from the 60s and 70s and they talked about how they made enough to pay rent/bills and eat and that was about it, but they were still excited because they got paid to PLAY A GAME. There was a respect there because they were playing to play and the fans loved that it was about the sport, not the money.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 May 2011 10:22 AM

How hard can it be to sit and drive? I've driven for 15 hours before. I wouldn't call myself and athlete though.

Ahhh, yes, I have driven 15 hours myself... However, I can stop whenever I like. I can eat while I drive. I might get into traffic but I'm not maintaining a 2,000 lb vehicle at speeds close to 200mph with my bumper literally up against the bumper in front of me with another pushing me from behind. I can drive with cruise control on, allowing my foot/ankle to relax. I can drive one handed while changing the radio station. I don't have to get all 4 tires changed while I sit in the car for 13 seconds and fill up with gas, adjust the breaks, clean my windshield.

Drivers go to the gym all week. You don't see 350 pound drivers. Same with pit crews. They hire trainers to have them constantly work out. It used to be your pit crew was just whatever buddy had this Sunday free to go to the track with you. They are now specially trained in their particular area of expertise, they have a very tight workout regimen. Most also have degrees in automotive and the physics of it, drivers included. So they are both brawns and brain!

i have to admit I love sports. My 2 favorites are Nascar and football. I also like hockey. I used to love baseball, then the strike happened. I thought I was mad about the strike and that's why I stopped watching. Then I watched a game and realized I didn't care about the strike... the damn sport is boring! Basketball I can't stand!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    03 May 2011 12:41 PM
    Although, we do have to account for the fact that they're driving those cars so close and so fast... but they also don't have to worry about people making a right turn without signaling. Everyone is going in the same direction and pretty close to the same speed turning the same ways. Not to mention they're driving cars with every safety feature they can feasibly fit in it and they don't have to worry about their insurance if they do screw up. AND they do have A/C. ;-) It's just the unique 2/200 A/Cs. 2 windows at 200mph... it'll keep you pretty cool.

I love sports too. Football and Baseball are by far my two favorites, but I enjoy watching just about everything. There are a few I still wish I understood a bit better, like Rugby or Cricket. I'm sure if I could watch them more I would and would understand a bit better.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement