Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Rrecruiters oponion
Last Post 25 May 2011 04:45 PM by Plgonzalezrx8. 26 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Gordon388

--
06 May 2011 11:15 AM
    Here is the deal. I am a 5 year fireman with my KY EMT-B cert. as well as confined space rescue technician, Haz-Mat operations, trench rescue, swift water rescue, vehicle extrication, and some others. i also have worked full time for 2 years in EMS, and currently work at a prison. I have never been more motivated to join, i am a new father and husband and i want to make a good life for my family. i research day and night on information about the coast guard i have even been studying the Helmsman already. I have talked to many retirees in my area and i am currently trying to set up a day to spend with the guys and girls at the Ohio Valley depot close by.

i recently talked to a recruiter on the phone to see if i even qualify with my background check being so unsatisfactory and he was a complete a-hole. he acted as if i wasn't worth the time or the effort and even hung up on me. I talked to a guy in Arlington that works for the central recruiting office and he said with my record it shouldn't be impossible to join as long as i can prove im worth it and have something to bring to the table.

I have a DUI from 4/2009, and a driving on suspended charge from January of this year. also a couple of small speeding tickets. its embarrassing enough to me that i have this. i have done everything i can to get rid of it all and spent hundreds of dollars, but every lawyer ive talked to says i have to wait 3 more years to be eligible for expungement.

Do any recruiters have any thoughts on this, helpful hints, even if its to tell me im S.O.L. Any recruiters want to help me ill fly to where ever and sign papers, as long as i can get in i dont care what it takes.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 May 2011 11:27 AM
    First things first, recruiters are not a-holes, they are over taxed for their resources. Some recruiters cover multiple states. They are responsible for all recruits... enlisted, reserve, officers, they also take care of recruits from first phone call until boarding the plane to Cape May. Maybe they aren't warm & fuzzy & wanting to hold hands but they rarely ever have time for that. So you will now have a hard time convincing a recruiter on this forum that you are worth talking to because of a 2 minute phone call and you make a snap judgement... you will find it to be a hard sell now.

Second... I don't care if you spend Donald Trump's entire wealth to expunge a record... it will not be gone. It will be there and visible to any and all military applications. So save the rest of your money and stop paying an attorney large fees that will result in the same end result for the military. You have a DUI, own up to it. You chose to drive while on a suspended license, own up to that as well. You are going to find with that sort of record you are going to have a very tough uphill battle. I won't say it can't be overcome but it will be very difficult. You really need to drop that attitude, that will stop you faster than the DUI for getting into the military.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    06 May 2011 01:05 PM
    :iamwithst doubt that works

ok it will be impossible to join with an attitude like that. you have to put your best foot forward along with taking the time to sale yourself. we dont want just anybody but we want the best availbe and you might not be that where you are
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    06 May 2011 01:08 PM
    A DUI and a suspended license charge as a firefighter/EMT...not good, please remember, Pride and Ownership of the uniform and badge, not to mention the service to our community that you as a firefighter took an oath for.

It would be 5 years minimum for you to be eligible for hire in my department with that record, and then it would be looked at and discussed under a microscope, so I would not expect any CG recruiter to look at you for a minimum of 3 years and more like 5 years and then it would be a challenging uphill battle. There is no reason to look at kids with stuff in their backgrounds like this or worse, and then try to look past those mistakes to enlist or hire them...there are simply hundreds to thousands of hard working kids right behind you with no records that are just as willing to do anything for the opportunity...they are squeaky clean…you are not. You will have a serious uphill battle I am afraid.

As Old Guard points out, an expunged record will be seen by any military, fire, police or government organization that does a thorough background investigation on you. Records do not disappear like they never happened...they will be seen. I have had so many wannabe fire recruits make that terrible mistake, thinking their traffic tickets were dismissed and no longer on their records...cost several a fire career for not listing all of their traffic citations.

Pretty sure your recruiter was not what you stated he was, however in reality with your background history, you really were not worth his time and effort...they are so extremely busy with the hundreds of thousands of kids calling and hoping for a chance to enlist…the economy is in the absolute pits…I have a couple of thoughts why he may have hung up on you, but that would be assuming so I will let that go at that.

You will need to rebuild your character and distance yourself from you background history and that takes years…unfortunately most young kids/adults do not understand this, they believe weeks to months and everything should be good…but really one needs to look at 5 to 10 years of squeaky clean life changing stuff, in hopes for a second chance with some things…and then simply some mistakes just can’t be overlooked.

I wish you the best Gordon, and please remember even when off duty you represent the fire service, and your actions directly reflect the fire service and the men and women in that service, and to me personally…Honesty, Integrity, Pride and Professionalism 24/7 not just 24/48.

Be Safe,
    Capt.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Gordon388

--
    06 May 2011 01:14 PM
    I understand that recruiters are busy and am no way saying that all of them act the same. This particular one however made me feel like there was no chance for me and hanging up in my ear is not very professional. Tell me your to busy or you don't want to fool with me.

Now that being said, no where in that post did I make an excuse for my actions or decisions. I take full responsibility for those decisions. The driving on suspended was a different story however I didn't make an excuse for it either. I just simply stated what I have on my record. It may not help me get into the military by getting that expunged but it will help with civilian jobs because I need a backup plan seeing as the CG might not happen for me. So before you judge me and tell me to be a man. There are other things in this and I have a son to take care of.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    06 May 2011 01:33 PM
    no one here will knock you for trying to take care of your son. i can promise you of that. they are just telling you straight up opinions and facts.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    06 May 2011 01:47 PM
    Your chances of gaining entry into the CG are slim at this point. From my "opinion" You have been put into a position of authority and are held to a higher standard with your present job. Even knowing you are held to a higher standard, you still received a DUI and to top it off, Driving under suspension. These actions in such a short time, elude to a disregard for authority or regulation. Notice I said allude, not an accusation. With the pattern you set forth, your best bet is to have a plan B. The CG is very selective.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Gordon388

--
    06 May 2011 07:19 PM
    Thank you for all you opinions and responses. I guess we will see Wednesday what happens.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    06 May 2011 08:44 PM
    Please keep us posted...we sincerely wish you the best.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 May 2011 08:50 PM
    Wednesday?? Does this mean you have an appointment with the a-hole recruiter that hung up in your ear?!?!?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Gordon388

--
    07 May 2011 02:28 PM
    I'll post after, I hope it goes well and I at least get better than the worst.
    And no, what makes you think I would be going back there? Negative. Also it would be much appreciated if future facetious comments were kept to yourself. I don't know why you took that comment so personal, maybe it was you I talked to I don't know and don't care to be honest. I thank all those who were upfront honest and didn't jump to conclusions about a person whom you have never met. I can make my own assumptions about you swell but I'm not going to voice anything negative about someone I do not know. That's just me.
    chukles

--
    07 May 2011 03:42 PM
    ??? Gordon, Who has attacked you? I am confused.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    ICENYC

--
    10 May 2011 08:55 PM
    Hi,
    I have a total of 6 years in the federal goverment 3 as an airport security and 3 in federal law enforcement, but i only possess a GED with a few college credits. Do i still have a chance on the DEPOT program to serve my country? Thank You for your time
    chukles

--
    10 May 2011 10:11 PM
    Ice,

you will need 15 college credits along with your GED
    ICENYC

--
    11 May 2011 08:18 AM

Thank you, I should have completed 22 credits by October when the new FY starts.

Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    12 May 2011 02:28 PM
    Posted By Gordon388 on 06 May 2011 07:19 PM
    Thank you for all you opinions and responses. I guess we will see Wednesday what happens.

Gordon...what was the outcome of Wednesday?
    zeahsiah

--
    18 May 2011 06:42 PM
    hi
    i posted a couple weeks ago...but i have a question for old guard...who are you?
    im just curious thats all, just wondering if maybe you are a retired cg or chief? its ok if you want to keep that confidential,
    but it seems like you kind of put every one down. I do appreciate your opinion on my posting, but then you told me to have a plan b...half the stuff you mentioned to me is false. Im sorry i just feel bad for the way you put Gordon out there.
    oh...by the way, im goin in active duty! There is ways to work around things. I hope this comment doesnt make anyone upset. Its just my thoughts thanks.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 May 2011 07:36 PM
    My life history is all over this forum and then some... there are others that have posted that answer for me because I am an open book. Nothing to hide... my ex-husband is a Commander in the CG, I was a Coastie wife for almost 12 years. That marriage produced a Coastie son, he is now active duty and at his father's change of command ceremony this week. I didn't put Gordon out there, Gordon put Gordon out there and I wasn't rude. Trust me, I'm a Jersey girl through and through, you want rude, I can give rude like you have never seen. I have no idea what post you are referring to and I sincerely doubt I'll even bother searching for it because I don't care (still not rude, I just don't care). Whatever you posted sounded like you were going to need a plan b in life. You got in because you worked around something, bully for you. There might be others with a similar set(s) of circumstances and they will not be able to work around it. For them, a Plan B is what will be needed. You don't like my posts, that's fine, feel free to block me. I have no problem with that. Its a free world. Do as you see fit to make you happy.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    chukles

--
    18 May 2011 08:09 PM
    zeah,
    Congrats on joining. May I ask how you got around being a single parent?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Plgonzalezrx8

--
    19 May 2011 08:41 PM
    +1 Chucles
    USCG Sector Command Center Anchorage, Alaska
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Plgonzalezrx8

--
    19 May 2011 08:44 PM
    I'm new In this forum as well, been around for a couple of months, and to the upset guy I'm sorry, if you "worked around" something, I have "something" to say..... Fraudulent enlistment is NO joke, so good luck on you career and live by the CG 3 core values. Specially Honor and Respect.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    22 May 2011 03:52 PM
    Zeah:
    Congrats on getting in, but you might want to watch the tone of your posts, especially towards very knowledgable, caring, respected members of this board who are taking their OWN time to help YOU. It won't get you very far here.
    Other than that, glad to see you got over hurdles. It's hard. Trust me, I do know that, and I congratulate you on your persaveirence.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 May 2011 07:55 AM
    Still no answer though as to how she was able to enlist as a single parent. Something tells me she wasn't able to "work around" that one. You can't just store your kids under rocks for 8 weeks.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    texascgmom

--
    23 May 2011 09:19 AM
    Maybe the grandmother "adopted" them. I have my grandkids living with me while their mother goes to college full time in another city. She comes home for the weekend and gives me a break. lol
    Proud Mom to SN Lueders - "Mom" to FN Coover - Soon to be AET's
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Plgonzalezrx8

--
    23 May 2011 01:39 PM
    Well TexasCGmom, I guess there us not dependents questions on college, hehehe.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    24 May 2011 11:33 PM
    I just wanted to throw this out there in case any single parents are reading this:

Giving up custody of your kid(s) for the purposes of enlisting is a disqualifier.

I just didn't want anyone to make any decisions that could affect them down the road.

To address the original poster...

It all comes down to being the best of the best. If a recruiting office covers 83 counties like mine does, and we can only hire 20-30 people per year, and we have 3,000 people applying for those positions, it becomes a great responsibility to choose the very best. Doing that math on just my area, less than 1% of the people that apply through my office will actually get in. It's nothing against the applicants. I'm sure that 99% of them are wonderful people. However, I've been tasked by the Coast Guard with putting in the very best applicants that I can find. I get paid to do that very job, so I take it very seriously. While I am sorry if you feel that you were treated in a less than professional manner, I will tell you that the recruiter most certainly didn't intend for you to feel that way.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Plgonzalezrx8

--
    25 May 2011 04:45 PM
    I agree with cooch
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement