Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
DUI and Coast Guard? Please give me your advice
Last Post 15 May 2011 01:31 PM by CSAYank. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cws1992

--
08 May 2011 10:40 AM
    ill make it short and sweet... so i come from a small town never did too much drinking, then i got to college and went wild. which led to my dui, possession of fake id, possession of alcohol.. worst mistake of my life and is always just ruining my mood and i sometimes get depressed.. this is gonna haunt me for the rest of my life and believe me ive learned my lesson.. 

by the time i am done with all the sanctions it will still be another 2 years or so before i try to join the coast guard.

will i still have a chance to get in and how will it affect my chances? =/
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    08 May 2011 10:52 AM
    Those are all going to be issues. Keep yourself clean for the next two years and hope for the best. The CG is the most strict of all the services for entry. Keep your head up, stay out of trouble and in two years contact a recruiter.

I wish you the best.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    cws1992

--
    08 May 2011 10:57 AM
    thank you.. i finally decided this is what i want to do in life and will do anything possible to join
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    08 May 2011 11:02 AM
    Stay focused on your goals and you can achieve them...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    cws1992

--
    09 May 2011 04:35 PM
    anybody? :/

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    09 May 2011 05:43 PM
    Anybody what? Your question was answered...
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    cws1992

--
    09 May 2011 07:33 PM
    i know i meant anybody else because i just feel like my chances are basically ruined of getting in the coast guard and i was just looking for more input
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    09 May 2011 07:37 PM
    you had a recruiter tell you to keep yourself clean and give it a shot in 2 years
    cws1992

--
    09 May 2011 07:42 PM
    didnt know that chukles was a recruiter!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    10 May 2011 09:49 AM
    Try and go on probabion and get the dui dropped to a reckless or negligent driving charge, if eventually you can get the stuff reduced, go to a recruiter when you have nothing pending and tell him your situation, your still going to have an arrest record but at least your conviction record should be reduced. Good luck. Start volunteering and doing things to makee yourself look like a good candidate.
    You can only make yourself look bad.
    cws1992

--
    10 May 2011 03:48 PM
    well im in a program called pre trial diversion where the DUI is expunged... but the military can still see it..
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    10 May 2011 05:47 PM
    Correct on that. Doesn't matter what happens it will show unless you are found not guilty
    Trooks

--
    10 May 2011 05:51 PM
    I had a DUI on my record. Got it 5 years or so ago. I also did the pre trial diversion. I told my recruiter and put it down on my e-qip. It did not dq me from getting in.
    cws1992

--
    10 May 2011 06:02 PM
    ^^ that is awesome news!! as long as i keep my head straight! which i will! i know this is gonna take hard work and dedication. ill never know if i dont try
    cws1992

--
    10 May 2011 06:03 PM
    btw what is e-qip?

Trooks

--
    10 May 2011 06:05 PM
    The e-qip is pretty much a background check for security clearances I believe. Someone correct me if it is for more than that.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    10 May 2011 08:14 PM
    Posted By cws1992 on 10 May 2011 07:02 PM
    ^^ that is awesome news!! as long as i keep my head straight! which i will! i know this is gonna take hard work and dedication. ill never know if i dont try

Exactly...however it may take a little longer than you might want like a few more years (two or more), but if dedicated and life style changing all hope is not lost.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    11 May 2011 05:13 AM
    Join Auxiliary in your area also. Keep your head straight, be honest, stay positive and donwhatever you can to make yourself stand above the other candidates
    cws1992

--
    11 May 2011 09:18 AM
    what is auxillary?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 May 2011 02:58 PM
    Try googling it.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 May 2011 03:13 PM
    CG Auxiiliary is an all volunteer organization that helps with testing, licensing and a lot of other things for the CG. Yank was in the auxiilary and has gained a lot of experience before leaving for Cape May. It's not a bad way to get your feet wet and prove to a recruiter that you want to do this and you're willing to do it as a volunteer until you can get an active duty date. Also, try googling it. There is plenty more info out there.
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    12 May 2011 08:48 AM
    If they drop the charges you'll still have an arrest record. Each handles expungements differently look up the law in your state. Some will expense it at all levels, some will delete it, some won't, some will delete it but keep a record sealed, some won't expunge it on the FBI level, some do. And its a separate process then your division program, if you have a lawyer for a fee I'm sure he'll be happy to do it for you
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    12 May 2011 08:50 AM
    Sorry that is the most grammatical errors I've ever had, I just came off of 4-8's and am sitting in medical... BORING
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    12 May 2011 01:17 PM
    I guess we will forgive you this time Bells...LOL
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    15 May 2011 01:31 PM
    + 1 what OldGuard said. It's very rewarding. You truly do make a difference, help active duty out quite a bit ( some Flotilla's do more than others ), gain very valuable information, learn a lot, make contacts, make new friends, do quit a bit of really cool stuff. Of course, it depends on you and how much time you put in to it. I've done countless vessel inspections in Ft.Lauderdale, Boca, Miami, etc. I've gone out on patrol with STA Miami Beach, STA Ft.Lauderdale, worked security patrols for Ft.Lauderdale fleet week.....the options are endless. Trust me, put time in. Meet people, learn as much as you can while you can. It's worth it!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement