Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
not married with dependents
Last Post 19 Mar 2017 04:21 PM by Bells. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
zeahsiah

--
11 May 2011 05:54 PM
    ok..im sure this question has been asked already. I've been modivated and dedicated to becoming a uscg member but i have kids. Lets just say for example, if i gave my kids to their grandma before i even made any contact with the recruiter..would i be able to go in as active duty. Then after boot camp, hope and pray i get stationed where i desire (i know there is no possibility lol) but would i be able to get  my kids back and have them live with me. And what do you think are my chances of getting stationed in an area around my kids. I know it seems like a lot, but i dont want to join the coast guard if it means i have to be away from my kids for 4 or 6 years.

I know for sure if they needed me to go out to sea or deploy i would have to give them back to their grandma. Someone please help me! I really love the coast guard but of course i want my kids to have benefits and be with me to.
    thanks
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    11 May 2011 06:04 PM
    Just tell the recruiter that you have kids and you're not married.Your recruiter will guide you with everything you need and your kids.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    11 May 2011 06:28 PM
    For Active Duty, Absolutely not, That is considered fraudulent enlistment and you can be discharged. Have you thought about the reserves, you may have a chance.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    11 May 2011 06:32 PM
    As AD, the CG will station you where they need you. Will your children be able to move with you? If you don't want or can't relocate your children, and you don't want to live apart from them, maybe AD is not your best option at this time. Have you thought about reserves? In the reserves, they will give you a unit close to where you live.

My neighbor is AD CG. He just got orders for VA, will be leaving in June.  He will be living in VA while his wife and 2 kids (3 & 5 years old) stay here, in Tampa FL for the next 4 years. 

Good luck to you! 
    "It's classified"
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 May 2011 06:39 PM
    Everyone be really careful with the advice on this one... You cannot be a single parent and enlist in the military. You must give up custody of your child/children. You cannot complete boot camp and then take them back. As chukles says, that is a fraudulent enlistment. If you become a single parent either through pregnancy or divorce after you are in, the rules are different. Again, be very, very careful when speaking on this one unless you are sure of your answer.

Chukles is best to handle this one.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    11 May 2011 08:45 PM
    Oh wow, I didn't know that. It makes sense though. I'm sorry 
    "It's classified"
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 May 2011 06:49 AM
    That's why I posted that CB, I figured you might not have known. I wasn't being rude or trying to offend, that is just a very sticky area of enlistment. That's why I wanted to add, it is best to let someone in the know as far as regs go for those sorts of questions.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    zeahsiah

--
    12 May 2011 10:01 AM
    thank you everyone for your advice, yes they did tell me that the reserves would be the best way. But i really want to make this a life long career and get all the benefits not just half. so if i did go in the reserves wouldnt it be harder to get into active duty after if i wasnt happy as a reservist? isn't there just so many loop holes that you would have to go through or even have so many recomendations just to become active duty?

Im really stuck with this. I know so many single parents though in the military and their experiences were not bad at all and they are living a happy military life with their kids. Does it maybe matter who i talk to or where i enlist?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    12 May 2011 10:27 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 12 May 2011 07:49 AM
    That's why I posted that CB, I figured you might not have known. I wasn't being rude or trying to offend, that is just a very sticky area of enlistment. That's why I wanted to add, it is best to let someone in the know as far as regs go for those sorts of questions.

No offense taken  I just removed my shoe from the inside of my throat.
    "It's classified"
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 May 2011 10:34 AM
    It not only doesn't matter who you talk to, it doesn't matter which branch of the service. You are not eligible to enlist as a single parent. You must give up full & permanent custody of your kids. This is true for all 5 branches. Single parents in the military either became that way after they were in or through a divorce. They wouldn't have been able to enlist as such. I'm really sorry. That is just the way it is. I'm not telling you to go get married tomorrow but if you were married, this wouldn't be an issue. I could be wrong even on that... you say kidS... do you currently have more than one child? Because then again, you are looking at Reserves. Active duty can only have 2 dependents, a spouse & a child for intial enlistment. You are allowed more as a reservist.

I wish you the best of luck but if you don't want reserves, you are going to need a plan b. Active duty military is just not a viable option. I'm sorry and again, I do wish you the best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    gma

--
    19 Mar 2017 02:45 PM
    hi i know this is an old post but what does happen when enlisted and you become pregnant?  What are the rules? My sons GF is enlisted and pregnant
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    19 Mar 2017 04:21 PM
    Rules as far as what? People get pregnant all the time. Here is the manual: Google search: Pregnancy in the Coast Guard, COMDTINST 1000.9 - U.S. Coast Guard
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement