Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Food at boot
Last Post 06 Aug 2011 08:34 PM by Eoghan Roe. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Delta7L

--
27 May 2011 02:19 PM
    Hi All,

I ship for DEPOT on 6/12.  My question is, I maintain a very low calorie, low fat diet.  I eat mostly vegetarian.  Will the CC's let me eat this way or when they see mostly salad on my tray will yell at me.  Thanks for the input.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheBigC1234

--
    27 May 2011 03:12 PM
    I don't know if they care what you eat or not, but I can only imagine you want to have the healthiest and most energy out of your food. You're gonna be working out day in and day out classes training everything long days. So if you can survive off of salad alone go for it. Personally I would say make sure whatever it is you eat will be able to sustain your energy. (I'm shipping June 7th, haven't gone through or heard but just my opinion.)
    It's Hammer Time!!
    Jesus

--
    28 May 2011 05:27 AM
    I'm also shipping the 7th. All the advice I've been given about filling up those trays has been to get as much as you can and eat it fast and quietly. I was also told to max out on the protein for reason stated above. I don't know how strict your diet is, like if you can eat chicken or fish, but if you eat plenty of mash potatos and rice you should be okay. I don't think any of us will be getting any fatter, haha. It would be in your best intrest to switch that low calorie too a high one. No one wants to go to bed hungry.
    Pablo

--
    28 May 2011 12:57 PM
    I graduated yesterday, and I can tell you the food in the galley is high fat high calorie. Now, there is a big salad bar and the CC's couldn't care less if you skip everything and eat just salads.

Don't forget your protien though!
    jordan85

--
    28 May 2011 02:34 PM
    you do have to be carefull what you eat even at boot. some people in my company almost didnt graduate bc they had GAINED over there max weight. The food in the galley was way better than i had hoped for, and you have to eat as much as you can as fast as you can trust me, or you will be left hungry. I think i ate a pbj with evey meal lunch and dinner the whole time as well. and an early warning, please dont take food out of the galley thinking thay you can eat it later...
    Eggnoodle

--
    29 May 2011 08:21 AM
    The first 5 weeks you will be burning ALOT of calories. Make sure you eat enough food to replenish all the energy you will be expending. After week five you really have to watch what you put in your mouth, stay away from high fat foods. I ate mostly salads, eggs, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. In the early weeks you will lose a lot of weight, later weeks you can easily gain it right back (wink wink). The food in the galley is pretty damn good, the corn fritters were amazing haha. Seriously don't get fat in boot camp, it might sound impossible but its true. I just graduated on friday

YANKEE 184
    Eggnoodle

--
    29 May 2011 08:22 AM
    0-HI-O I
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    01 Jun 2011 10:07 PM
    +1 Eggnoodle

The first couple weeks I couldn't get enough calories in my diet. Toward the end I'd come to chow and if I was hungry it was really just out of boredom and routine.

Congrats on the graduations btw Eggnoodle! One of your shipmates just reported here in Seattle to the USCGC Midgett. Good luck in the fleet.
    ipolute

--
    03 Jun 2011 12:37 PM
    haha well this is just a big reunion isnt it lol
    whats up England its Sanchez... and we just got a kid named Morgan from yankee company yesterday to CGC ELM

My advice for the food is to eat what you can if you can spare the weight... i gained 18 pounds at boot camp mostly muscle but yea i thought the food was pretty awesome but then again im not picky. As long as you put forth maximum effort in the PT and runs youll have nothing to worry about and youll come out proud of your physical ability coming out of bootcamp keep your chin up and push through it.

And remember its all about teamwork
    SURFCAPE

--
    08 Jun 2011 12:52 AM
    MY ADVISE IS TO DEF EAT YOUR PROTEINS. I WANT TO SAY I WAS TAKING IN ABOUT 3000 CALS A DAY. OF COURSE WATCH WHAT YOU EAT BUT THE SELECTION OF FOOD IS GOOD FOR B/C. I WOULD ALWAYS GET THE MOST PORTEIN AND LOWEST CARB ENTREE, ALSO I WOULD EAT ABOUT 2/3 DIFF TYPES OF VEGGIES, A PIECE OF FRUIT AND THEN SALAD ON TOP OF THAT. SOME PB AND J HERE AND THERE. DEPOT COMPANIES DON'T GET IT'ED AS HARD AS REGULAR RECRUITS SO JUST WATCH THE FAT INTAKE AND YOU'LL BE JUST FINE. IT MAKES THE DAYS GO BY FAST EVERYTIME YOU HIT THE GALLEY, YOU'LL SEE. GOOD LUCK!
    SonataRain

--
    28 Jul 2011 02:35 PM
    .... I don't eat vegetables.  Haha, I know, it's terrible, but I never have.  My dad doesn't either, so I like to blame him.  

However, I do take multivitamins every day, any chance I'll be able to keep up that habit?
    TNCoastie

--
    28 Jul 2011 02:47 PM
    Sonata, I am almost positive they give you multi-vitamins in bootcamp 
    SURFCAPE

--
    29 Jul 2011 03:19 AM
    Sonata, they don't let you take multivitamins that I know of :/ I'm the same way. All of the food provided gives you your nutrious needs. O and when you first arrive to Cape May your going to be stressing make sure you eating your apples and drink your apple juice once they allow you to drink juices. It will help. Trust me!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    29 Jul 2011 05:12 PM
    I was just reading some of the boot camp company journals.  Some of them talk about members of the company GAINING weight (not in a good way)   

I picked up the "sophomore spread" in college and worked my butt off (literally?) to lose it.  I'm about 30 lbs. lighter and eat a good bit less during the average day than I did back then.  I've learned how to balance my calorie intake in accordance with how much I burn, say whether I work out or not, what kind of workout and how difficult it is, etc.  It's pretty simple.  If I'm hungry, I eat.  If I'm not, I don't.  

I know I won't have that kind of freedom in boot camp, and that PT/IT will more than burn a good bit of calories but...these horror stories about some recruits getting bigger in boot camp have me a bit worried... I keep thinking those are the guys like me, lost the weight and got used to a certain diet, then get there and pack it in three times a day. 
    I definitely don't wanna pick up the spare tire again after losing it, those things take longer to get rid off than to find!  
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    29 Jul 2011 07:28 PM
    This might not count, but my son went to boot camp at 115 soaking wet and graduated at 120. Man I hope he doesn't find out I told you all that!

Proud Coastie Mom
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    30 Jul 2011 11:40 AM
    Posted By SURFCAPE on 08 Jun 2011 12:52 AM
    MY ADVISE IS TO DEF EAT YOUR PROTEINS. I WANT TO SAY I WAS TAKING IN ABOUT 3000 CALS A DAY. OF COURSE WATCH WHAT YOU EAT BUT THE SELECTION OF FOOD IS GOOD FOR B/C. I WOULD ALWAYS GET THE MOST PORTEIN AND LOWEST CARB ENTREE, ALSO I WOULD EAT ABOUT 2/3 DIFF TYPES OF VEGGIES, A PIECE OF FRUIT AND THEN SALAD ON TOP OF THAT. SOME PB AND J HERE AND THERE. DEPOT COMPANIES DON'T GET IT'ED AS HARD AS REGULAR RECRUITS SO JUST WATCH THE FAT INTAKE AND YOU'LL BE JUST FINE. IT MAKES THE DAYS GO BY FAST EVERYTIME YOU HIT THE GALLEY, YOU'LL SEE. GOOD LUCK!

DEPOT doesn't get IT'ed as hard as the other companies? Hmm...
    "It's classified"
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    06 Aug 2011 08:34 PM
    Heh, I won't exactly make THAT claim, but I can definitely say I never saw the DEPOT companies IT. In fact that only thing I really DID see them do was go to chow. But I suppose that's just because I didn't see them much at all.

And as for the food. I'd try to limit yourself to one meat, one starch, and lots of veggies whenever you can. It's really not that hard to control your weight during boot. We had people lose 10-15lbs. I only lost like 2... but I was already pretty small.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement