Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Health care reform
Last Post 11 Aug 2011 03:56 PM by Iceman1978. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
07 Jun 2011 06:33 PM

Once provisions of the Affordable Care Act start to kick in during 2014, at least three of every 10 employers will probably stop offering health coverage, a survey released Monday shows.

While only 7% of employees will be forced to switch to subsidized-exchange programs, at least 30% of companies say they will “definitely or probably” stop offering employer-sponsored coverage, according to the study published in McKinsey Quarterly.

The survey of 1,300 employers says those who are keenly aware of the health-reform measure probably are more likely to consider an alternative to employer-sponsored plans, with 50% to 60% in this group expected to make a change. It also found that for some, it makes more sense to switch.

A 4% economic-growth rate for 2011 now looks like a pipe dream. In that case, assumptions about corporate earnings may be high, especially with the Federal Reserve's latest bond-buying program winding down. Kelly Evans discusses.

“At least 30% of employers would gain economically from dropping coverage, even if they completely compensated employees for the change through other benefit offerings or higher salaries,” the study says.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fi...2011-06-06

How many preached this very issue during the debates! The program, IMO is nothing more than a massive hole that will cripple the health care system. What say you.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    07 Jun 2011 11:09 PM
    I concur completly that the program will cripple this great nation and I have nothing good to say about the idiot who shoved it down our throats, yet at the same time will not be using the same plan we are being forced to use, as it is not good enough for him or is family...

I sure thought this was the land of the free and we were free to make our own choices and that freedom is what all of our past and current veterans had fought for, bled for, and died for...to protect that freedom...then a bunch of people (opted to be nice here) vote a bunch of dumb butts in power who sweep all of that away...very sad I say!

Not to mention it is costing me a doctor in the family...my youngest was planning to be a doctor...thankfully he is bright enough to see what an idiotic plan this is and switched gears to electrical engineering.

I sure hope we wise up in 2012.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Jun 2011 06:27 AM
    I have no clue what my employer will do... Hell by the time 2014 rolls around I don't know if I'll still have the same employer, only time will answer that question. But if they do drop coverage I don't know what I will do. I know Scott has absolute zero for health insurance. Not working he doesn't have 2 nickles to rub together unless I give them to him. So I can't see how they can fine people that don't opt to buy insurance. What will he buy it with?? He isn't that good looking or that charming that anyone will give it to him for free. So I don't understand that sticking point of you MUST buy health insurance. How does a single, unemployed man that owns absolutely nothing, not even his own underwear afford health insurance he has to pay for? He asks for no hand outs now but no one is looking at prosecuting him for not having coverage either, not up unti lthat bill goes into effect anyway.

Wake up and smell the Dunkin Donuts America... 2012 is coming quick, let's make the right decision!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    massagegirl128

--
    08 Jun 2011 07:22 AM
    The government cannot force you to buy something, yet for some reason this administration thinks it can. The people that passed this law and actually defend it should be embarrassed by it. No one even read the thing!!! I think they should have first fixed the insurance companies by making laws and giving them heavy fines for not paying peoples medical bills when they should have. I have worked in Doctor's offices for several years now and it amazes me the things the insurance companies will do to not have to pay for someones treatment. They MUST be stopped. They are not Doctors and yet they still try to tell us how many treatments and how to treat the patients. They even try to regulate what type of massage I give people. I have to do stretches and neuromuscualr therapy for it to be covered. But, not everyone needs the same massage. Some people are not able to stretch or get deep massage but the insurance companies think they know more than me about how to treat my patients. I want insurance companies regulated better. With the size of our country we cannot afford to pay for insurance for everyone. I do not think health care is a right, it is a privelage. If people were more educated on what they were putting in there bodies they might not be in such poor health. No one ever wants to take responsibility for their actions or their health. I eat right and exercise, and guess what, I am healthy. This administration is a joke.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    08 Jun 2011 03:49 PM
    If people were more educated on what they were putting in there bodies they might not be in such poor health. No one ever wants to take responsibility for their actions or their health. I eat right and exercise, and guess what, I am healthy. This administration is a joke.

Damn right!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    10 Jun 2011 10:19 AM

Posted By massagegirl128 on 08 Jun 2011 08:22 AM
    I do not think health care is a right, it is a privelage.

Privileges are earned, right? I am curious about your theory. How does one earn health care privilege? I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you're response is going to be "get a job". So, people with jobs have earned the privilege of health care. Therefore, Old Guard's significant other, God forbid something serious happens to him, should not get treated and "hope" that he gets better. Cross his fingers and see if time will take care of him? Is this what you mean?
    "It's classified"
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Jun 2011 12:24 PM

Posted By Gears on 08 Jun 2011 04:49 PM
    If people were more educated on what they were putting in there bodies they might not be in such poor health. No one ever wants to take responsibility for their actions or their health. I eat right and exercise, and guess what, I am healthy. This administration is a joke.

Damn right!

We are all going to die. I have seen people eat nothing but bunny food, work out, perfect physical form, never a bad thing in their body... drop dead at 40 from a massive heart attack. I have also known people that smoke a cigar a day, drink a bottle of whiskey a week, eat red meat more often than shower and they live to be 102. You can take good care of your body, you can beat your body to hell... in the end we all meet the same fate. Personally, while I don't drink much at all anymore, I have never smoked a single thing in my life, I certainly do enjoy a great steak and a large ice cream cone whenever I can!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    massagegirl128

--
    10 Jun 2011 04:27 PM
    Don't get me wrong I enjoy ice cream and hotwings and pizza, but in moderation. There is a big difference in how I eat than how other people may eat. A large majority of the population eat a ton of fast food a week and wonder why they are diabetic and have heart disease. I also mainly eat organic food and I can feel and taste the diffence when I don't eat right. For some its genetics, which is why some people do all the right things and die anyway. I feel better when I eat right and exercise. I am not worried about prolonging life.
    Iceman1978

--
    11 Aug 2011 03:56 PM
    I used to live in Europe so I've had my experiences with national health care systems. In some ways they are better, but in many ways the US still has the better system. One thing that most nationalized systems do well in is in preventative medicine. Regular checkups, immunizations, etc. work very well. Where you can run into problems is when you need something major done, such as open heart surgery. For major medical treatment you want to be in the US. Also, the US is still the R&D capital of the medical industry. Our medical care system has its share of problems, but most of the major medical breakthroughs still take place in the US. Although we spend more per capita than any other nation except Switzerland, we also spend more on R&D than the rest of the world combined. People in the EU countries have a longer life expectancy, but having a universal medical system is only part of the reason for that. In Europe (and in Japan which has one of the longest life spans) people live a very different lifestyle. They eat healthier, take longer vacations, spend more time with family, and because they don't rely completely on their cars to get around, they have more physical activity throughout the day. In Berlin for example, you can walk two blocks from your house to the subway, take the subway to work, and your office is maybe another two blocks from the station. It should be noted though, that the EU countries haven't spent the same proportion of their budgets on defense like we have, so you have to take into account that during the Cold War the US military constituted a little more than 1/2 of the total NATO ground forces, and probably 2/3 of the air and sea power.

When I was in Italy it wasn't at all unusual for people to sit down as a family every night at dinner and take three hours to finish their meal. The idea of sitting in front of the TV to eat or eating meals in their cars is unheard of. Same goes for Greece, Spain and Portugal.

In France they drink red wine which counterbalances high cholesterol French food.

The Japanese, despite having high rates of smoking, have one of the healthiest diets.

One issue that needs to be addressed is when you have millions of people who rely on the ER as their primary care provider. It's the most expensive form of care there is and when people who have no insurance show up in the ER they're oftentimes so far-gone that it would have been cheaper for them to get outpatient care at a doctor's office. The cost is still passed on to the rest of us though in the form of higher insurance premiums and increased medical costs. There is one more issue that hasn't been discussed when it comes to health care, and that's how we're going to adjust to the coming shortage of doctors and nurses as the baby boomers start to retire.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement