Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Current CG joining the AUX
Last Post 27 Jun 2011 04:25 PM by VicNaz1. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Screaming seagull

--
24 Jun 2011 07:45 PM
    Hi All, I've been thinking a lot lately about joining the auxiliary.  I'm currently in the Reserves with PSU-301.   Just a few questions: -Are there a lot of current CG in the Aux?  -what is the rank structure like? -If I'm a ME2 (E-5) now, a boarding officer and I join what would I start out as?
    Tom1650

--
    24 Jun 2011 08:08 PM
    Hey.

I intend to join the Auxiliary soon as well. If all the information I have collected is true, then you would not get advanced rank, as in the Auxiliary, they use "Officer rank for designating what office is held". You would start at the entry level member like everyone else.

Basically what I believe would be the only difference is you can wear all your Coast Guard and Military decorations on the uniform.
    Screaming seagull

--
    25 Jun 2011 09:57 AM
    Posted By Tom1650 on 24 Jun 2011 08:08 PM
    Hey.

I intend to join the Auxiliary soon as well. If all the information I have collected is true, then you would not get advanced rank, as in the Auxiliary, they use "Officer rank for designating what office is held". You would start at the entry level member like everyone else.

Basically what I believe would be the only difference is you can wear all your Coast Guard and Military decorations on the uniform.

Thanks Tom
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    27 Jun 2011 04:25 PM
    Actually, by joining the Aux. you would almost certainly be asked to assume some specific duty which means letting yourself be appointed to an office. It's not very hard for folks in the Aux. to spot talent and you might very well be put in some duty immediately as a Flotilla Staff Officer (FSO) or even asked to serve at the Division level as a Division Staff Officer (SO).

FSO wear a single silver stripe on the sleeve of the bravo coat or shoulder boards or a "butter bar" insignia that looks like what an ensign wears but has a little red A in the middle. A Division Staff Officer wears one wide and one narrow silver stripe on the coat and shoulder board or a silver bar with the red A. In the Aux. there really isn't any equivalent of enlisted ranks or offices so everyone more or less wears insignia of office that looks like officer gear.

Since you're an ME-2 you're not only trained in law enforcement but I'm sure you also understand your basic life saving, navigation, etc., etc.
    ALL of that stuff, even the basics, is of immense value in the Aux. and I could easily see you quickly becoming a mentor and a Member Training officer fairly quickly. Any Aux. folks who want to go on operational patrols need the same training as your average seaman recruit. You can give that I'm sure.

You won't be doing any law enforcement as an Aux. You'll be able to tell people when they are doing something they shouldn't but you won't be able to tell them to stop. You can of course radio in to Sector or a Station to report it but the Aux. can't do any law enforcement even if you are deputized in some other way.

The long and the short of it is that you'll be very valuable to the Aux. if you join and you'll be given a lot of opportunities to advance quickly. You've already got the skills and if you show leadership and initiative you'll be wearing a couple of bars (maybe more) in only a few years.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement