Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
USCG Auxiliary questions
Last Post 17 May 2012 03:11 PM by VicNaz1. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Rollz

--
29 Jun 2011 07:56 AM

I have a friend that want's  to know about the USCG Auxiliary. I told him i would help him find the answer to his question's.

1- What exactly is the auxiliary?
    2- What do they do on a daily basis?
    3- If you were to choose between air base or small boat unit what would be best ?
    4- Between air base and small boat units which one sees more action?
    5- Is the auxiliary contract based? Meaningdo you need to do certain amount of days or something before you can stop being an auxiliary or can you quit at any day ?

6-What kind' of training are offered to the auxiliary ?
    7- If you go active duty is there any chance you can get the same unit station that you were an auxiliary right after bootcamp ? <--- I know the need of the service comes first , but still just a thought.

Me and him are aware of the auxiliary website but , somehow we dont understand it and is confusing atleast for him. So i came here.

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    29 Jun 2011 09:24 AM
    to answer number 7 first that would be NO
    1. it is the civilian side of teh Coast guard all voluntary.
    2. It really depends on where you are but they support coast guard missions
    3. That is a personal preference adn the air side would probably be a little harder to get into as the pilots own there aircraft and volunteer it to the Coast guard.
    4. It isnt the type of action you are thinking about but i would probably say small boat unit as they are doign alot of safety checks and helping civilian people out.
    5. Not sure but im sure there is some type of requirment.
    6. They have to complete PQS just like the CG members do to become Boat Crew qualified.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    29 Jun 2011 10:29 AM
    To second Southern's comments, You don't see "action" as an auxiliarist. You cannot make arrests, but you might get to go on a SAR case. Air stations don't have many auxiliarists at the station because there just aren't that many things they can do. Ours verify the flight logs and stand radio watch. They don't fly. The surface AUX folks do get some opportunities to work with the small boat stations but most own their own boats and rarely deal with the active CG units beyond getting a tasking and talking to them on the radio.

The AUX folks that do fly have their own aircraft at their home field. They also bring an observer along. So the only way you will fly is if you own an aircraft or can find an AUX pilot near you that is willing to take you as an observer.

No contracts, you can leave any time you want but there is a lot of work to get into the position so hopefully you would do it for a while. There is a lot of training involved.

Depending on what you get involved with in the AUX there is a lot of training available but before they send you they will have to know you are committed to the program.
    Rollz

--
    29 Jun 2011 02:21 PM
    By action i did not mean like arresting and stuff like that. I meant like actually going into the water

Anyways , how would it work if I had a civilian job but also wanted to be an aux ? Do they want more time than what I actually could give because of my job ? or what ?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Jun 2011 02:31 PM
    It is voluntary. If you have 5 hours a week, you give that. If you have 5 hours a month, you give that. There is no demanding of time to serve. What they do want is if you say you will be there on a given Saturday to help with a test or look at life jackets or work the radio or whatever it is they have you doing that day... you don't flake out and go fishing instead. You get the idea. If you commit to it, commit. Don't say you'll do it then not show up. That's all they require or ask of you.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    16 May 2012 03:37 PM
    Hey there Rollz,
    The long and the short of it is that you can train for virtually any qualification in the Coast Guard that doesn't involving the handling of Coast Guard money, doesn't involve shooting combat and doesn't vest you with deputized law enforcement authority. You will also not be placed in authority over other personnel except under exceptional circumstances that are very carefully vetted beforehand (pretty much never happens).

That said, you can indeed train to fly on missions with the Aux. or even train to fly on missions with the active duty. You can shoot photos for Public Affairs. You can train at a small boat station and serve on a 25' RB-S or a 41' UTB or maybe a 45' RB-M. You can get fully certified to serve as crew and even qualify as an engineer. Although you can technically qualify for things like Coxswain you cannot be 'certified' as a Cox because of the specific command authority (and Law Enforcement) that would imply. Our previous commandant Adm. Allen actually did certify an Aux. as Cox. on a 41' UTB early in his career and had to be told by higher ups that he had overstepped the bounds of his authority. The Aux. couldn't be Cox on an active duty boat (only crew). He did however make a very fine Cox. on the Auxiliary boats since he'd been so well trained.

Anyway, if you want to learn to work on boats and radar or airplane motors, that's all possible if you make the commitment and put in the time (and the CG unit OIC or commanding officer says it's OK). If you want to crew on a cutter or a small boat and go out on patrols or SAR missions, you can train for that but it all comes down to reading the regs and meeting the requirements. Remember the needs of the service come first and if the local unit commander says "no" that's the end of it. You also must make double sure to keep your own Aux. flotilla commander fully informed of what you're doing.

If you want to crew on an Aux. boat or aircraft, find an Aux. unit near you and get started. It's like becoming a volunteer fireman and the aux. units are always looking for new blood. As to flying, you can start in the aviation program for Observer and then Air Crew if you are committed and the Flotilla Commander, Aircraft Commander(s) and training officer (called the MT) think you have what it takes. If you keep at it you can get a lot of valuable training, do some very good work and meet some very interesting people.
    Collin313

--
    16 May 2012 04:47 PM
    Is there a benefit to joining the auxiliary if you are in the CG reserve other than personal fulfillment?
    Maybe the chance to work on quals?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    17 May 2012 03:11 PM
    If you are a Reservist you should (remember, limited by what the OIC or commanding officer allows) be able to work on active duty quals and get them logged in the TMT. As an Aux. my quals on active duty assets are all logged in the TMT and I use the same PQS as the active duty guys.

That said, you have a chain of command that I believe can tell you differently if they choose to do so. Make double sure you don't step on someone's toes on that since you DO have a career to think of and you DO have superiors who can COMPEL you to do things (or to not do things).

Remember also, if the OIC or commanding officer at a station or on a boat says you can qualify on something that doesn't mean he or she will necessarily 'certify' you. You'll have to do your own leg work on that question.

If you want to earn some non-operational qualifications that might be less of an issue. As an Aux. you can take most of the active duty public affairs and storekeeper and other qualifications and you might be less likely to step on someone's toes. If you're a MST and for whatever reason you want to qualify to work on boat motors or radar systems, I believe you can get qualified for that too.

For an active duty or reservist, I feel the main reason to join the Aux. would be to train on a PQS and meet people and maybe experience some neat stuff. If you're a BM2 at a small boat station and you always wanted to fly, you can join the Aux. and qualify as an AuxAir Observer or AuxAir Air Crewman and maybe even make friends with an aircraft commander who'll teach you to fly. In that circumstance you'll not be qualifying for any active duty cert. You'll be fulfilling your own desire. The same would go for a seaman on a black hull cutter who loves to ride a jet ski. You can join the aux. and have fun on your jet ski while under orders and get your fuel and maintenance costs paid for and deduct some of your other expense.

If you want to really push on active duty qualifications by way of Aux. while serving in the Reserves I would seriously first ask your chain of command if it's OK and I would also see if they would simply let you do it as part of your Reserve duty. I don't know exactly how that works but I remember when I was at Station Annapolis some Reservists occasionally came in on their own time (in addition to their regular duty) to work on quals.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement