Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Juliett 185
Last Post 24 Aug 2011 03:04 AM by LTWILLIAMS. 60 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>
Author Messages
empressclaire

--
11 Jul 2011 04:23 PM
Thank you for starting this forum. My son is in Juliet 185! His wife and family are so excited that he is part of the USCG family. I myself was a CG wife; so it is very special and exciting that our son has chosen this career. We are praying for all the men and women for endurance and strength. Already have my hotel booked, rooms are filling up fast around the area. Will be keeping up with this forum Debra Johnson
LubberNoMore

--
12 Jul 2011 07:15 AM
Juliet - 185's first weekly journal has been posted. You can read it at:

http://www.uscgbootcamp.com/go/doc/...ly-12-2011

Larry
Aigaion

--
13 Jul 2011 10:36 AM
Hello. Thanks to everyone who started this forum and who have been posting to it. I just found it - and it is so good to have a place to share our hopes and concerns. It's also great to be getting the "inside story" from Master Chief Harold. Thank you, sir, for what you are doing for Juliet 185.

My son is John Matthew Ainsworth. In his first postcard, he indicated that he would acting as the Company's writer / historian. Apparently this duty means he will be writing and coordinating articles from other Recruits that get posted on the Company's journal. The URL is as Larry posted above.

We live in New Orleans - and people from here understand better than most how important is the unique role of the USCG. When Katrina had flooded our streets and homes - and no one seemed to know what to do or how to do it - it was the Coast Guard that was here saving lives and providing aid. When our shores were threatened by the BP oil spill, it was the Coast Guard who forced the actions needed to control the damage as far as possible. We are so proud of Matt for becoming part of such a noble and vital service.

I look forward to hearing more from each of you and to meeting as many of you as possible in Cape May on 19 August.

Best,

Mike Ainsworth

FDrennan

--
13 Jul 2011 02:24 PM
Thank you to those who started and are contributing to this forum. I too am a proud dad of Juliett 185 member - James Drennan. We live along the Texas coast nearthe Surfside and Lake Jackson area. I am also eager to any photos of what is happening in Cape May.
dinochop

--
13 Jul 2011 02:49 PM
Looks like my father in-law found this right before I did. :b My husband is SR Drennan. Looking forward to seeing him again!
LubberNoMore

--
13 Jul 2011 02:57 PM
Welcome, Mike and James. Be sure you join the Facebook page for USCG Juliet 185, and after that, also join the USCG Parents, Family and Friends group. Both have very good content.

James, there are photos already posted of Juliet 185 by ETCM Joe Harold, the Company mentor, on the Juliet 185 Facebook page. Also, you can check out the Facebook page for the Blue Fish Inn which has off-base run videos. Juliet has not yet had an off-base run, but keep on the lookout there.

Mike, thank your son for being the Historian. That first two weeks he probably had about zero time to write, but please encourage him to do a daily summary of activities like some other companies do, if at all possible! I know, I know, easy enough for me to say - I am not in the thick of it!

Larry

Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
13 Jul 2011 05:51 PM
Redeemed68 and Janetta, besides the Unit FB page, there is also a closed group for mothers, USCG Moms, and an open page called USCG Parents, Family and Friends. Check them out ; there are lots of pictures on the family and friends site, lots of support and chat on the moms' site. Welcome to the ride!
Redeemed68

--
13 Jul 2011 07:50 PM
KD,
thanks for the info on other sites. We are very fortunate that the USCG encourges, and supports these sites. I have friends who's sons have joined the Navy and there are no such support sites for them. They make it feel like I'm staying connected to my son!!
Janetta72

--
13 Jul 2011 09:23 PM
Thank you for letting me know about the mom sites. Does anyone know if there is a similar site for girlfriends? My son's girlfriend is looking for some people in her situation to talk to.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
14 Jul 2011 06:46 AM
She can come here... there are a lot of girlfriends and young spouses plus a few seasoned veterans of sending off a loved one. She can also join any of those facebook groups, they'll welcome in justa bout anyone you don't have to be a parent so there are other young ladies and men that have shipped off their bf/gf/fiance/spouse.

For a forum type of thing... www.coastiechicks.net It is very informative for girlfriends/wives, it has a lot of fun and useful stuff. I was a member at that site for a while. For my personal tastes, it was just a bit whiny for me. That is me, it really is a pretty good site I'm just not a whiner very much, I internalize. A lot of the women on that site just lay their whining out for all to see. BUT they are very, very supportive of each other!!!!
Sector NY, Staten Island
Redeemed68

--
14 Jul 2011 11:36 AM
I am SO upset, My son Robert Heldrich sent mail to my parents, and they received it today, and in it he states he has not gotten ANY mail from ME. I have sent him mail almost daily since I got his address on July 5th. I KNOW I am addressing his mail properly, does anyone know if they are allowed to get mail yet? Or what I can do to find out where my son's mail is going? It's breaking my heart that he thinks I'm not writting to him!!! HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!
FDrennan

--
14 Jul 2011 11:43 AM
Does anyone know who the administrator of the Juliett 185 Facebook page is? I requested to be added to the group, but I haven't been. I think it's probably because my facebook name is Oldfat Guy, and not a well, NORMAL, name. Yeah, it's a little silly...and weird..but I did it to be able to have a Facebook page to keep track of updates from my son who was, until recently, serving in Afghanistan. Also, it helps to keep my junior high students from finding me on Facebook! Those of you who are teachers will understand trying to have a little privacy. But anyway, does anyone know how I can email that person directly and let them know I am a real person with a son currently in Juliett 185, and to please add the Oldfat Guy to the list?

Thanks!

Fred Drennan
Lake Jackson, Texas

aka Oldfat Guy
Kilo185

--
14 Jul 2011 12:37 PM
Fred;

I just send a message to one of the Juliet-185 Facebook administrators (Julie Love), reproducing your message to her. Sometimes it takes a day or so to get in, as these are just volunteer administrators, who have other duties and real jobs.

But, if you are not in by the end of the day tomorrow, post here again, and I will send messages to the other administrators (there are 7 admins for the J185 Facebook group).

Larry
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
14 Jul 2011 12:51 PM
Redeemed,

I am sure your son knows you are thinking of him. As far as mail goes, it is hard to say. Each CC operates their company differently. Some will give mail and allow it to be read every day. Some will give it but not allow it to read until Sunday. Some will hold it back unti lthe company has easrned a mailcall privilege. He will get all your letters and he will realize you were writing him all along, he just might not have been getting them all along. Be sure you put his full name and not an initial (M Smith... Michael Smith) there can be more than one M Smith and they don't know which one. Also, be certain you have the right company name and hall. It will all get to him... there isn't much beyond that. It is at the CC's discretion how mail is handled.

Please also consider he wrote to your parents, he had to get it mailed, it had to be delivered, there are days in between there. He may have received 5 letters from you the day after he sent his letter to grandma & grandpa. This is one of the hardest thing to get used to. We live in a very instant society... instant message, email, cell phone no matter where you are. This puts you back to the days of Barney & Fred, writing, stamping, mailing, waiting for delivery, writing, stamping, mailing, waiting for return.
Sector NY, Staten Island
FDrennan

--
14 Jul 2011 01:50 PM
Thank you, Larry! and thank you, Julie! I've already found him in a photo...
West Florida Parents

--
14 Jul 2011 03:07 PM
Hi Meg,
We just received our first real mail, not a postcard, from Chris. We too have been writing everyday and his latter dated July 11th says he has not received any mail also. But from what we have read the CC may be holding it until he feels the company is ready. A friend has told us he will receive all of it, maybe at once!! He will then savor the time reading all of them. Hang in there.
Pam and Bob
Aigaion

--
15 Jul 2011 07:14 AM
Larry,

I was going to pass along to Matt your suggestion that items be posted more often to the Company's web page - and I will tell him how much it means for families of his fellow recruits to read these articles. However, today, I got a letter in which he addressed this issue. He said, as historian, he is writing a report each day documenting the activities of Juliet 185 and a weekly summary of those events. He indicated - without an explanation of the reason why - that only the weekly summaries would be posted to the web. My assumption is that his access to the Internet is now limited. Hopefully as the Company advances the daily reports will also be put online.

Best,

Mike Ainsworth
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
15 Jul 2011 08:04 AM
The logs are a once a week thing. That is it. They don't have the time to post daily activities daily.
Sector NY, Staten Island
jpjobx

--
15 Jul 2011 08:58 AM
Being separated from your kids/spouses/granchilderen with no communication can be very difficult , but I would offer this as a retired Coastie. Please be patient and allow the folks at Cape May time. Don't call Cape May inquiring about mail service, because that will draw attention to your Coastie, and trust me that's not a good thing. I assure you they will receive their mail and they will send you letters. They are VERY busy during their training with little free or down time. Trust in the Company Commanders and their ability to transform these young folks into fine young men and women of the US Coast Guard.
Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
15 Jul 2011 11:15 AM
FDrennan, FB technically requires you to use your real name ; you can visit your privacy settings and control who sees anything at all on your page. To keep my students out of my business ( and also people whom my husband has arrested...) I have my privacy settings set so that I will not come up in search results even if my name is correctly searched. You may like to check that out.
The admins for the closed FB pages (for bc companies and moms, for instance) research as thoroughly as possible to keep the members of the page secure. If they can't tell from your page whether your request is legit, it's typical to post a question to current members along the lines of, "Anyone heard of...?" I'm guessing maybe no one recognizes your alter ego
nicolenic

--
15 Jul 2011 04:01 PM
HI there - I am trying to join the USCG family FB page - i have hit request - for two days now...but have not been accepted - Does anyone know anything about this???
My son arrived on Tues. to Cape May.... Kilo 185 - I cannot wait to see their Journals! I am sure it will start after next week.. ? my guess - And any info that anyone has of them, I patiently await to hear! Much Support to all the family/friends/g'friends/b'friends out there! - They are soo strong!! Lets stay strong for them!!
Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
15 Jul 2011 06:46 PM
Nicolenic, the company pages are closed pages till the 5th week ; you can join your son's company page by clicking "request to join" and waiting for a response. Same with USCG Moms FB page ; it is also closed. Be patient while an admin has time to respond and verify your identity. Check your messages ; a message from someone you are not friends with will come up under the heading "Other" in your messages. They may be waiting for you to respond, especially if your privacy settings are tight, like mine.
USCG Parents, Friends and Family is an open site, easily visited. Check that out too!
rimijohn

--
17 Jul 2011 03:52 PM
Finding all the forums and pages I can about Juliett 185. Thanks for the info on Echo grad photos. Will look through them hoping for a glance of our son, Alex(ander) D. Johnson.
rimijohn

--
17 Jul 2011 03:53 PM
thanks for all you're doing--hope to meet you at graduation.
rimijohn

--
17 Jul 2011 03:56 PM
thanks again--
rimijohn

--
17 Jul 2011 03:58 PM
My son is Alex Johnson--does that mean he's the Alpha Johnson referred to?
MCPOHarold

--
20 Jul 2011 04:54 AM

Posted By rimijohn on 17 Jul 2011 04:58 PM
My son is Alex Johnson--does that mean he's the Alpha Johnson referred to?

Yes,

When there are more than one person in the company with the same last name, they have to add their first initial. Since they are learning to use the phonetic alphabet, A = Alpha.

R,
ETCM
PRJohnsonswife

--
21 Jul 2011 02:07 PM
29 days!! 29 days!! Hope everyone is excited as I am!! Can't wait to see everyone at graduation
WayneVan

--
25 Jul 2011 08:32 PM
Father of K VanOrden here. Great finding this place. Looks like most SRs are from the SE part of USA. We're from the Daytona Beach area, but Kris lives in Tampa with wife and new baby now. He has lots of friends from TX & LA. I hope they let the Louisiana SR get to cook some cajun stuff!

Closest I got to sea was in the US Merchant Marine. Great experience. I liked the engine room, but he's more of a topside guy. Hope he gets to see the Panama canal some day. I guess there's not to many trips thru it for the USCG.

wvo
bythebeach

--
28 Jul 2011 11:10 AM
Hi All! Just found this site and the FB pages. Hopefully will be approved soon as I can't wait to look through the pictures. Got a letter from our daughter today & it said they were doing an off-base run Sunday, so hopefully that will be on the Blue Fish Inn soon. Thanks for all the updates on this site.

Also a big thanks to Master Chief Harold, I know your words of wisdom will be very helpful to all the recruits.

A very proud mom,
Trish Widell
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement