Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Hotel 185
Last Post 07 Aug 2011 01:32 AM by gdeyarmond. 26 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mitzi-Hotel 185

--
07 Jul 2011 12:56 PM
    Recieved one letter to date, must be busy. looking forward to the end of week four and getting through week five.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Jul 2011 01:55 PM
    Its hard when communication is so little to begin with then to get only 1 letter so far... you are hanging in there! Week 5 will be a good one. That's a phone call letting you know where your recruit is headed. My best piece of advice for that phone call... is just sort of be in listen only mode. Some CC's make them keep calls brief, professional and done. Others might give a little more leeway and allow them to talk a little more freely. But in case you get one of the very short, professional, here is the info, gotta go calls, be prepared to just listen. We have had people post on here after a call saying they were so nervous they didn't listen and all they heard was he got a ship... what can we tell them about it. Well the CG has a lotta boats! Otherwise you are juat about the halfway mark, from here it gets a little easier for you.

If you have any questions, let us know. Welcome aboard. I hope your recruit is enjoying his/her time in Cape May.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    rornelas

--
    07 Jul 2011 03:33 PM
    Hi Mitzi my husband is in Hotel 185. I've written a letter almost every day and so far I have received a post card saying I'm safe! and a very short letter last week. They are so incredibly busy with everything they have to learn! I will say one of the best things has been the Facebook page. I was anti facebook so I just created one when my husband left. The friends and family page has been awesome. Family members from other companies will post pictures from graduations and you can try to find your coastie! There were also some videos from the sunset parade for 4th of July. They looked so good marching in front of everyone!
    Mitzi-Hotel 185

--
    08 Jul 2011 07:09 AM
    Old Guard2 and rornelas,
    Thank you so much for the replies! I'm excited to just hear his voice and looking forward to hearing about his next adventure. I must admit June 14th was one of the hardest days of my life as a mom but each day that passes I get more and more excited for my son and his future. I love reading all the posts each week, I've gone back and learned so much from the previous Company posts. I tried joining that FB site yesterday, I'm going to check now to see if I got accepted. I can't wait to see some pictures. Talk to you all soon, Mitzi (Freddy's Mom).
    Mitzi-Hotel 185

--
    08 Jul 2011 07:22 AM
    Dear ronelas, can you send me the FB site for Hotel 185; I'm struggling to find it and I must admit I'm not real good at Facebook. Thanks again!
    rornelas

--
    08 Jul 2011 02:37 PM
    No problem! I usually get home from work around 8ish CA time so I will put the links up for you this evening!
    rornelas

--
    08 Jul 2011 08:56 PM
    Ok hopefully these links work. Here is got the company page http://www.facebook.com/groups/1004...12873?ap=1 and here is for the family page http://www.facebook.com/groups/USCGParentsandFamilies?ap=1
    Mitzi-Hotel 185

--
    09 Jul 2011 08:50 AM
    Thank you, this is a great support for us all.
    NewSong

--
    10 Jul 2011 05:31 PM
    Hey there!
    I am a recent graduate from company charlie 185. Hotel and charlie shared the same hall.
    From what i could tell... there company commanders were given it to them hard. They had Charlie trash there squadbays (for this i apologize) but as shipmates... they were supportive of eachother... and they were learning rather quickly.

All the same... boot camp is by no means easy... so be supportive... phone calls will start coming in the end of week 6 and 7 and yeah!

From my moms side of things... she says she has never known a more proud or respectful me. Maybe it will be the same for you.

I wish the best for your coasties and hope to serve with some of them someday. Thank you for being willing to let them make this decision. its huge
    Steven S. Smith

--
    11 Jul 2011 05:45 PM
    The trashing of other squadbays is a common practice and all part of the process. And there should also be very brief phone calls at the end of Week 5...this week?
    melhotel185

--
    14 Jul 2011 06:44 PM
    hi-my son is in hotel-185. its so nice to read about how their doing in week 5. wish i found this sight sooner.my husband also just retired from the C.G. after 30 years. 4 years active duty and the rest in the reserves.its history repeating itself for me. i couldnt be prouder.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Jul 2011 06:49 PM
    You do know your husband is authorized to give your son his graduation certificate.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    melhotel185

--
    16 Jul 2011 12:46 PM
    no i didnt know but thanks for telling me. he didnt want to wear his uniform because he didnt want to outshine our son on his graduation day.do u feel he should wear his uniform?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Jul 2011 12:54 PM
    He won't outshine your son. My ex is an active duty Commander. He went out and bought a brand new combo cover with the scrambled eggs and clean and perfect, he had all his ribbons, he had the most puffed out chest I have ever seen!!! He should absolutely wear the uniform and hand your son his certificate.

Colin was trained, trained, trained precisely how graduation would go. His dad had about 2 minutes of "do this, do that, then that" Colin walked up to his dad, saluted, went to shake his hand & take his certificate. Well Jim couldn't remember... he went shake on top, certificate under... wait certificate on top, shake under... never mind grab my son and hug him! The audience all gave a chuckle & an "ahhh". One of Colin's CC's told him "I'm not going to hug you!" That got Colin to give a sly little smile that no one saw. Just another in a long line of son & dad memories and mom crying. HAHA
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    melhotel185

--
    16 Jul 2011 01:04 PM
    thanks for telling me. ill tell my husband, his name is jim also.he went into active duty for four years in 1977. and retired in 2009 as a master chief. cant wait to tell him.
    melhotel185

--
    16 Jul 2011 01:07 PM
    im bringing tissues. im not normally a crier, but this could be the exception.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Jul 2011 02:44 PM
    My Jim enlisted in 1985. Went through boot camp in Cape May himself and loved the Guard so much he is still going strong. I have a feeling he'll retire when they take the keys away from him and tell him to go home and not come back! LOL I just hope my son has a career as successful! Colin wants really nothing to do with the officer side of things. He just wants to be a crusty old sea dog and maybe make Senior Chief, Master Chief would just be icing as far as he is concerned.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    melhotel185

--
    17 Jul 2011 03:34 PM
    hi. i was expecting a call today from my son eugene in hotel 185 and no call happened yet.
    melhotel185

--
    17 Jul 2011 03:41 PM
    do you think it might not happen today because they didnt earn it?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Jul 2011 04:41 PM
    This is week 5? Depends how many are in the class. I have heard of calls coming as early as Thursday & it taking until as late as Tuesday to get through some company phone calls. Hang tough, it will come. But I know waiting for that is so hard!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Jul 2011 04:41 PM
    This is week 5? Depends how many are in the class. I have heard of calls coming as early as Thursday & it taking until as late as Tuesday to get through some company phone calls. Hang tough, it will come. But I know waiting for that is so hard!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    melhotel185

--
    22 Jul 2011 09:40 PM
    my son is finally getting a few phone calls out, though they are in a sort of breathless whisper. im so glad to hear his voice.
    rornelas

--
    22 Jul 2011 11:37 PM
    I finally heard from my husband this morning. Rochester, NY woo hoo! The breathless whisper is a perfect description for how he was speaking!
    melhotel185

--
    23 Jul 2011 02:23 PM
    has anyone heard if family can visit before graduation?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Jul 2011 04:36 PM
    They get off base liberty on the Saturday before graduation. If you would like to go there for that afternoon, you most certainly can. If you mean Thursday night before graduation, no.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    24 Jul 2011 08:24 AM
    Recruit moms, there is dicussion and photos available at FB on USCG Parents, Friends and Family, and also a closed page for mothers only at USCG Moms. This forum is most excellent for solid, straight-up info ; if you'd like to chat and share photos, wander on over to FB. Best of both worlds.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    07 Aug 2011 01:32 AM
    Thanksssssssss........you have no idea how long it took to get the shaving cream off our portholes..........
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement