Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Prior Navy
Last Post 07 May 2012 02:02 PM by littleboats. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
priornavy

--
10 Jul 2011 10:17 PM
    I got out of the Navy about a year ago and I really miss the military. I'm thinking hard about the Coast Guard. When I got out I was a E-4 with 5 1/2 yrs in. I saw the CG do a credit check. My credit is bad, how big of a obstacle will that be to overcome to get in? I got out  a HM but wanting to be a YN in the Coast Guard, what are the chances of that and will I keep my same rank.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Jul 2011 07:02 AM
    Once you retake the ASVAB if you qualify for YN, you sure can put your name on the list. As for the rank thing, don't count on it. It's hard to lateral jobs over from other services to the CG. You would probably go back down to an E-3. As for the credit, they are pretty touchy about it. They don't expect it perfect without a single blemish... but no charge offs, no delinquent accounts, nothing past due, that sort of thing. All of that would have to be paid off, brought up to date and you would need to have a debt to income ratio of 30% or less.

Thanks for your time served. Good luck with everything else. Call a recruiter... what's the worse they can say, no thank you?? They don't shoot you for asking.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Active Prior Service

--
    27 Feb 2012 10:46 AM
    I came in with less than perfect credit. I just made sure everything was paid off and it wasn't a problem, didn't hurt my security clearance either. But since you are over a year out of service you may have to go through all of boot camp again. And believe me, Coast Guard boot camp is 10x harder than Navy's (it is actually molded around the USMC boot camp if that gives you an idea). I got lucky and got into the PITSTOP company, so only had to put up with a month of it. If you coming over and changing your rating then you will automatically get bumped down to E-3. It doesn't matter if you were E-4/E-5 or even a chief. But get your name on the list ASAP and be persistant. Keep trying, I even know of people writing to their congress or senators to get letters of recommendation (don't know how good it does to be honest but hey worth a shot I guess). I love the Coast Guard. Advancement process is WAY better, shoot everything is better in the Coast Guard compared to the Navy.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    28 Feb 2012 06:15 PM
    The credit score isn't the issue. Having current accounts (nothing behind) and nothing in collections is a MUST. As far as your paygrade, you would only be able to come in as an E-3. Once you get to your first unit, you would wait 4 months and then be able to put your name on the A school list of your choosing, provided that you qualify for it on the ASVAB. Currently, the YN school wait is around one year.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    littleboats

--
    07 May 2012 02:02 PM
    Esteemed Coasties,

I'm interested in transferring over as well, and I would appreciate a quick read of my information so as to determine the likelihood of a possible transfer to the USCG in 2 years' time, at my EAOS.

History:
    USN Active 1995-1999 RE-1, left as a frocked PO2 (but paygrade E-4)
    USNR-IRR 1999-2003 RE-1 (E-4)
    USNR 2009-present (currently E-4, should be retesting for E-5 next cycle -- FINALLY)

Currently I am a drilling reservist. I am up for HYT in one year due to the requirement that all reserve time (including time in the IRR!) be counted toward HYT time. But I am deeply committed to the sea services -- I served three months on the Munro (WHEC-724) and you coasties really impressed me.

I hold a BA from Rice U, magna cum laude, double majored in Classics and English, an MA from UIowa (English Lit) and will receive my PhD in English Lit from UIowa in the next two and a half years. I've been teaching high school and community college English for years, but I'd like to consider returning to the fleet in some capacity once I complete and defend my dissertation.

My PRT scores are usually in the "Good - High" or "Excellent" zones -- I'm what one would call in good shape, but I'm not 20 anymore.

Oh yeah, I'm currently a BM3(SW), testing for BM2 as previously mentioned.

Any chance I could keep BM3 at least, and not have to lateral over as a slicksleeve nonrate?
    And if I do pick up BM2, would I get knocked back down to BM3 as a coastie?
    Am I just too frickin' old?
    I really would like to go back to sea and I really like how you folks roll. That cutter was just about the finest ship I was ever on, and I did some time on some really "together" ships.

Appreciate the input, guys. Semper paratus!
    "Littleboats"
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement