Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Prior Air Force
Last Post 12 Jul 2011 11:15 PM by Love2Swim. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Love2Swim

--
11 Jul 2011 10:13 AM
    I was in the Air Force for 7 years and 5 months. Initially I joined to become a pararescuman, but upon my arrival to boot camp, I found out that my vision barred me from trying out. I was placed into the open-general pool and they gave me a dental laboratory technician job. It was an interesting job, but didn't enjoy sitting down hunched over a bench making teeth, retainers and dentures all day. Huge difference between what I wanted to do and what I was doing. What stimulated me to leave was a combination of wanting to get out of that job, my wife was(and still is)in the USCG and to see how I enjoyed school. I loved the military and Air Force, but not so much the job and thought that I may move far away from my spouse if two bases/stations are not close to each other--which is always a risk. I opted to get out early and have an Honorable Discharge with an RE-1J code.

Now, I am trying to join the Coast Guard,  because while I was sitting in class, I just didn't like it and the prospect of doing this for the next 7 years didn't bode well. I missed having a mission and the military-type organizational structure. After becoming familiar with what my wife does, it's something that I would enjoy. Even as a non-rate, E-3, I would thoroughly enjoy my experience in the USCG. Plus, I enjoy the ocean and boats, so everything seems win/win. I am a little excited to go through boot camp again too, if I am selected to join.

I do have a small hangup, I am a little frightened by the idea that a foreclosure in my past might jeopardize my entry into the USCG. It occurred when I PCS'd from Alaska to DC and couldn't afford to live in DC with my family and pay for the house in Alaska. I bought my house before the market plummeted and could not find a buyer. Trying to rent it out did not work out and the cost-difference between what someone would pay for rent was not close enough to the mortgage to keep it afloat, especially when you started to consider the cost of a property manager. Almost a year later, the bank foreclosed on my house. I don't owe any money, and I've never so much as missed a credit card payment before and after, so I am hoping that is taken into consideration.

After talking to a recruiter, we did make an appointment to talk, so I am a little optimistic about being able to join. Hopefully, it works out.
    BetioBastard

--
    12 Jul 2011 09:54 PM
    I by no means am an expert in anything but I did have the pleasure of speaking with a few recruiters. I too am prior service and I was told that as a prior all you have to do is a 3 week course and not the 8 week boot camp. Here is a link to what I was told priors do http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/Trai...school.asp You should really do your homework on things and then talk to a recruiter. Some recruiters were lost about certain things and I had to tell them about facts that were on the gocoastguard website. I was interested in CSPI and if your in college you might want to check it out. Why go in as an E when you can go O?! You will be an E while you're in college and once you graduate, you go to OCS and get bling on your collar.

Love2Swim

--
    12 Jul 2011 11:15 PM
    Fortunately, I do not mind going to an 8-week boot camp if necessary. I imagine I would be a pretty good asset to everyone I am going through boot camp with during those 8-weeks, though my wife might prefer that I attend the 3-week course-haha.

I did look at the O-route, but first, I want to try to become an AST. While in the USAF, I trained myself to bone preparing to become a pararescueman, but by the time I managed to get PRK and wait a year, was literally last year and I was no longer in the mindset to be deployed for 200+ days of the year and be shot at. If I feel that I want to become an officer later, I already meet the academic requirements for the physician assistant program that the USCG has and have an interest in medicine.  I would kick myself if I didn't try for AST as it is the type of job I have always dreamt about, something mentally and physically challenging and completely rewarding.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement