Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Is it possible an Officer and obtain a psychologist job in CG after obtaining a BA in Psychology? & more..
Last Post 11 Jul 2011 08:33 PM by cycology. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
fontilj

--
11 Jul 2011 06:45 PM
    Hi, I am very new to this forum and unfortunately do not know enough about the Coast Guard, but I hope that from this forum I could get a lot of information and hopefully have my questions answered!

I just graduated from high school last year and have not continued on to college yet due to some uncertainties.  I have always wanted to join the Coast Guard and become an Officer for quite some time now and am aware of the options on how to become one, but it is the route that I am interested in taking to become one that I am unsure of and unsure of how to proceed. 

I would like to go to a four-year college to obtain a BA in Psychology and at the same time be in a ROTC and quite possibly do the Reserves.  I am hoping that with my choice of major in Psychology I could land a job in the Coast Guard as a Psychologist or Psychotherapist.

Stating that, my first question would be, is it possible to try to obtain my choice of major (Psychology) and do a ROTC at the same time? 

The second question would be, is it possible to do the Reserves while trying to do both or one of those courses (BA in Psychology and or ROTC)? 

Thirdly, is it possible to get a Psychologist or Psychotherapist job in the CG after obtaining a BA in Psychology and or finish the ROTC? If so, then what would I need to do in order to get that job?

Looking at the Armed Forces Career site:

http://www.armedforcescareers.com/o...areers.htm

It is possible to get a Psychologist job in the CG, but I would just like more of a confirmation and possibly a little more elaboration.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you so much for answering my questions if you are!!

- Janelle

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    11 Jul 2011 06:48 PM
    Having a BA would make you eligible to apply for OCS, but the ony psychologists that serve with the Coast Guard are with the US Public Health Service. The Coast Guard does not have our own doctors. Also, the closest thing to ROTC that the Coast Guard offers is the CSPI program. That program only applies to Historically Black Colleges or Universities, Hispanic Serving Institutions, Tribal Colleges or Universities, or colleges in Puerto Rico, Guam, or the US Virgin Islands. If you went through an ROTC program, you would be obligated to serve with the service that sponsors that particular program.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    cycology

--
    11 Jul 2011 08:33 PM
    also worthy of note if you want to pursue psychology,
    a psychologist must hold a doctorate degree (Phd or PsyD) and must be licensed to practice.
    it is a long, long, road.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement