Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Kilo 185
Last Post 25 Aug 2011 04:05 PM by annafaris24. 27 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Kilo185

--
14 Jul 2011 08:12 AM
    Hello!

I am starting this forum for friends and family of Coast Guard Recruit Company KILO 185 (ship date July 12, graduation date September 2, 2011).

Please share any information here about this company!

I will start by sharing the mailing address for the company. They are in James Hall, so their address is formatted as:

SR ____________ (son's or daughter's name here)
    Recruit Company KILO 185,
    James Hall
    USCG Training Center
    1 Munro Avenue
    Cape May, NJ 08204-5083

And, about mail: No food, newspaper clippings, magazines, etc are permitted in mail. The Company Commanders will give your recruit grief if you try to send such items. Just send them letters!

A Facebook page for this company has already been established. Login to Facebook, search for "USCG Kilo 185", and you should find it. It is a "closed" group, which means you have to ask permission to join, which is done to keep out those with little relation to this Company.

Or, try this direct link:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/123979191010047

My name is Larry, and I have a son in Recruit Company J-185, which is just ahead of yours. I started the forum for that Company, and thought I would "kick start" your forum, as ours has been very successful. Perhaps one of you will return the favor when the next Company gets going.

Our forum has worked well by starting with introductions. I have given mine, who is next?

Good luck to Kilo 185.

Larry
    Kaileigh333

--
    14 Jul 2011 11:01 AM
    Hey, my name is Kaileigh and my boyfriend is in this company, how did you find this information out?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Jul 2011 11:04 AM
    It is published on the Coast Guard website.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Kilo185

--
    14 Jul 2011 12:24 PM
    Kaileigh;

As for the graduation dates and the hall they are in, that information just went up on the following two pages:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/recruit/FAQs.asp
    and
    http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/recruit/graduations.asp

I know, it is sometimes to find all the information, as there are MANY Coast Guard web sites. A FEW that I know of are:

http://www.uscg.mil/
    http://www.uscgbootcamp.com/
    http://www.gocoastguard.com/
    http://www.uscg.org/

(there are more, no doubt)

AND

add to that the "support" type websites, and you have examples like:

http://www.coastguardwives.com/
    http://coastiechicks.net/

(there are more of these as well)

AND

add to that the too-many-to-mention Facebook support groups for family and friends and for specific companies, and you start to get the idea. There is a wealth of information out there, but you need to go seek it. The Coast Guard will not just hand it out, because some of the best information is from "unofficial" sources that they cannot "bless" officially (like the Recruit Company Facebook pages).

The good news is that you have found this forum, and now have lots of links to start you on your way. I would start with the Kilo 185 Facebook page, and then the USCG Parents, Family and Friends Facebook page (you have to ask to join these groups). These are the best ones to kick start your journey through the boot camp days.

In a few days, the Kilo 185 Facebook page will really crank up, as well as this forum, once Google discovers these links, and friends start searching for "Kilo 185".

Anyway, Kaileigh, don't feel bad that you were not aware of these sites before. It is quite normal!

Larry
    nicolenic

--
    15 Jul 2011 05:17 PM
    Hi...I am Nicole - My son Brandon left w/ the rest of our members tHANK YOU SOOO MUCH LARRY !! I am just seeing how the letters go in order for the company and was waiting for something like this..... I am soo excited! AND - I am trying to get FB USCG Family - but i request to be a friend...but then nothing.. ?? any word on that!? - I am going to FB now to get to K 185 - nothing was there earlier today....THANK YOU AGAIN!!! this is great!! and look forward to meeting you all in NJ in 8 weeks!! Hope everyone is doing Fine..But most of all - Hope our FAMILY Is doing GREAT Today- I am thinking today was last day for Medical for them!! I miss my son soo much!!
    niky2150

--
    15 Jul 2011 05:38 PM
    Thank you so much for all the information! I finally got to see my bf today in one of the pic from the fb page!! Im soo happy! I miss him so much!
    Kaileigh333

--
    15 Jul 2011 06:37 PM
    Thank you so much Larry! You've been a great help!
    One more question, me nor my boyfriends mom has received a phone call.. Shouldn't he have called already?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jul 2011 06:53 PM
    Hie first phone call won't be until the 5th week. So nope, no call yet.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ajamindar

--
    16 Jul 2011 02:09 AM
    Thank you so much. My bf is in the same company. I'm glad to know that I am not alone. Thank you for setting up the facebook group.
    ajamindar

--
    16 Jul 2011 02:14 AM
    By the way I'm Abbi. I def have to say this the fear of the unknown. I have never been in these shows before. I mailed my first letter my bf today. Is he gonna be allowed to read my letters yet? I miss him so much. I want him to know that I am here supporting him in every way possible.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Jul 2011 06:58 AM
    If they are doing extremely well and proving themselves, they might get mail soon. If not, it might take a while. Mail call is a CC's discretion. Sometimes they will give them mail but tell then they aren't allowed to read it. So don't be surprised if you get a letter saying he hasn't received anything from you. It takes a couple days for it all to move around the USPS, the base, the CC saying ok to read... it isn't as easy as typing an email & hitting send.

The good thing... It's just 8 weeks! Then your life resumes to a new sort of normal and you don't have to rely solely on snail mail.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    nicolenic

--
    16 Jul 2011 12:30 PM
    where ??? of our guys ?? plz help me...I cannot find anything on FB on K185 - any help would be GREATLY appreciated.....
    ajamindar

--
    16 Jul 2011 09:00 PM
    rimijohn

--
    17 Jul 2011 04:52 PM
    "It's Just 8 Weeks" on Coast Guard Channel @ youtube.com was good for me to watch. Highly recommend.
    ajamindar

--
    20 Jul 2011 01:40 PM
    Hey I just received my first letter from mark! It's short, just few lines but it's a relief to finally hear from him. Hope everyone else's letters are on their way.
    lisaobeji

--
    23 Jul 2011 04:24 PM
    Hi, my son is in K185. I am so proud of him. This is our second go around. My older son did the same 3 years ago. We went for graduation and what a wonderful event. I am looking forward to meeting you all.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    24 Jul 2011 08:20 AM
    Good morning, lisaobeji! If you haven't already found it, I invite you to check out USCG Moms, a closed page on FB. Also USCG Parents, Friends and Family ....
    dbarrios

--
    28 Jul 2011 06:12 PM
    Thanks to Larry for starting this for the KILO-185..My son has been in since 2008 and I have a good friends whose son is in KILO-185. I told her about this site and she said that she has checked it out. So keep up the good work. To those who have a love one in right now stay strong and be ready for graduation it is the greatest thing to see..

Semper Paratus

Welcome to the Coast Guard Family
    sgraham

--
    09 Aug 2011 08:31 PM
    Hello every one. My name is Stephanie and my husband is in Kilo 185. I'm excited boot camp is almost over and am very proud of him. Look forward to seeing every one at graduation.
    dbarrios

--
    10 Aug 2011 08:47 PM
    Kilo 185 Family..well, you all have reached that 5th week so that means the phone calles will be coming. There is not a specific time or day that you could get that call but be ready for it..It will not be a long one so listen good to them and enjoy. I can't wait to hear where your Coasties will be going. This call will help lift you through to Graduation... Good Luck..
    LillyOC

--
    12 Aug 2011 08:22 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Yes, it's about three more weeks until graduation, yippee! Is anybody staying in Cape May? It happens to be Labor Day weekend, right?

Does anyone know whether the new graduates would be able to stay off the TRACEN after graduation for a night or two? I'm hoping that my son will be able to spend the night with us.

I'm very new to this forum and facebook stuff....is there alot of information on facebook about Kilo-185?

I read Juliett-185's forum....and it was very useful! That Company has a mentor, Master Chief Harold. Does anyone know whether Kilo-185 has a Mentor?

Thank you for reading through my many, many questions...but allow me one last one: has anyone received a letter from your recruit this week? I got used to receiving one letter per week, and this week I received n o t h i n g

Am I worried? Now that's one question I can answer: y e s

Thank you! I look forward to meeting you on Friday, September Second

Signed........excited, worried, nervous, mom
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Aug 2011 08:34 AM
    Welcome aboard. After graduation your recruit is free to go wherever he like. So absolutely he can spend the night with you, head for home, take a break on a tropical beach if he would like. He will not have to stay on the base in Cape May.

All companies have a mentor. If they are as involved as Master Chief is another story, they are there for the company and Master Chief is the first I have seen take such an active role in the parents/spouses lives as he has! The mentor is generally there at graduation and you might have the opportunity to speak to him/her at that time. I met Colin's (my son) mentor very briefly at graduation.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    LillyOC

--
    12 Aug 2011 10:30 AM
    Wow....yes the Master Chief is very special. He let me know that Kilo-185 received their orders yesterday......so time to start getting those phone calls, and I will quote the Master Chief: "You should be getting a call from [your Recruit] very soon to let you know [his/her orders]. You won't be able to say anything back, as they are instructed to just give you the information and that is it. In a little while they will be able to call and talk longer when they get on base liberty."

Keep those phone lines open
    dbarrios

--
    17 Aug 2011 08:28 AM
    You all should have gotten your phone calls, please post where your Coastie will be going..It is exciting to see where there next adventure will be. My friends son is going to Station Grand Isle, which is in Louisiana. We live about an hour and half away so he won't be far from home.
    LunaSea

--
    24 Aug 2011 12:02 PM
    does nayone know of a hotel or motel in the area of Cape May for the night before graduation?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Aug 2011 01:34 PM
    Hi LunaSea,

Here is a link to another area on the forum... this has reviews and opinions of several places people have stayed.

http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/5773.aspx

I hope that helps.

Macie
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    LunaSea

--
    24 Aug 2011 02:05 PM
    Thanks for the info Old Guard2
    annafaris24

--
    25 Aug 2011 04:05 PM
    HURRICANE IRENE:
    TRACEN Cape May WILL be evacuating on 8/26 at 8 am. Here is the official release. Please do NOT call the base.

Information for family and friends of recruits at Coast Guard Training Center Cape May for hurricane
    The staff of Coast Guard Training Center Cape May are closely monitoring the approach of hurricane Irene and making preparations for its passage and potential landfall. There is a strong probability that our facility will be affected to some extent. Even if the hurricane passes offshore, we expect strong winds and rain. This will likely have storm impacts to the area such as localized flooding, loss of power and downed trees.

The safety and well-being of all personnel assigned here, be they recruits in training, uniformed permanent-party staff or civilian employees and contractors, is our highest priority. We are currently planning to secure the facility against high winds and rains and ensuring that all personnel have adequate food, shelter and medical care in the event of major storm impact. Should our command deem it necessary, or should the county declare a mandatory evacuation, we are prepared to move all personnel to our alternate location at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst located 18 miles southeast of Trenton, N.J.

In the event of an evacuation, recruits will still have minimal ability to independently contact their families and friends. Please rest assured that the safety of your loved ones is our first priority, and that we will do everything we can to update you as to the location and disposition of all training center personnel as quickly as possible. You may call our public affairs office at (609)898-6362 with any specific questions or concerns. You can also email our current public affairs officer, Lt. j.g Michael H. Cole at michael.h.cole@uscg.mil with any questions.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement