Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BC medical testing
Last Post 30 Jul 2011 11:52 AM by TNCoastie. 28 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
suddenlysinister

--
19 Jul 2011 10:04 PM
    Can one of you good ppl tell me what all medical testing occurs once arriving at Cape May. I DEPed in and would like to know how it compares to MEPS testing. Beyond immunizations, urinalysis, and an eye examination with the issurance of glasses (for those in need) what else do recruits undergo? Thanks.
    JA1991

--
    20 Jul 2011 07:10 AM
    I'm also curious about this, if anyone could let us know that would be awesome
    sean.shannon87

--
    23 Jul 2011 09:19 PM
    im sure we will just have to find out.. thats the fun of basic training. not knowing what to expect.
    JH726

--
    24 Jul 2011 06:42 AM
    There isn't a whole lot to it. A lot of the time is spent in dental getting xrays of your teeth and having a doctor look you over quick to see what dental work needs to be done before you leave Cape May. You will fill out more forms about your medical history that are almost exactly the same as previous forms. You will also briefly meet with doctors who will ask you a few questions about your physical and mental health. Other than that its the stuff you listed, most of the time is spent waiting in lines.
    Russolini

--
    24 Jul 2011 10:49 AM
    aside from cavities that they find in BC, can you be dq'd for too many past cavities?
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    24 Jul 2011 11:52 AM
    No, and they will take care of your current cavities and wisdom teeth...no worries.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Russolini

--
    24 Jul 2011 12:37 PM
    i did see that 6 or more cavities will have you packing your bags though? i haven't been to the dentist in some time so ill have to get that done before i go. i think i have insurance for my teeth i just havent been, it would be better to get them done before i go so cape may doesnt wreck my face?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Jul 2011 01:15 PM
    What makes you think Cape May would wreck your face? The dentists there are trained, licensed, caring doctors of dental medicine. They will take very good care of all Coasties. They aren't out to ruin anyone, they are there to improve.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    suddenlysinister

--
    24 Jul 2011 01:30 PM
    thank you JH.
    Russolini

--
    24 Jul 2011 08:56 PM
    sorry didnt mean it like that. i meant it in a general sense that if i had cavities they would be doing all sorts of extra poking prodding numbing and drilling that i would rather not have done in BC and get done before hand.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    24 Jul 2011 11:40 PM
    It is free in boot camp...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Tree

--
    25 Jul 2011 08:33 AM
    so they fix cavaties? How painful would that be doing IT with tissues stuck in your mouth after multiple root canals? haha
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Jul 2011 08:54 AM
    Root canals & cavities are 2 different horses. If you need root canals I would check with your recruiter what the process is. Also, I have, in my lifetime, had 5 root canals. I have never had any pain and by the time the novocain wore off, I was ready to eat dinner. There was no bleeding, pain, tenderness... nothing. It was done and that was that.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    25 Jul 2011 09:14 AM
    Besides...IT helps take the mind off the teeth... :-)
    mncoastie

--
    26 Jul 2011 07:40 PM
    JH726
    Other than that its the stuff you listed, most of the time is spent waiting in lines.

Sounds like MEPS x10

Who knows, maybe we'll get to duck walk again.
    Shipping Sept 13
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    26 Jul 2011 09:54 PM
    I have a dental phobia. Yeah, I said it. And the dentists at Cape May were the best dentists I have ever been to. Don't worry! I even got my wisdom teeth pulled (my biggest fear in life - seriously!). And you will be with the docs all of an hour, maybe 2 in those three days. Be prepared to do a lot of nothing because everyone else needs their hour with the docs too.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    projekt83

--
    28 Jul 2011 03:10 AM
    FloridaGirl, Did you have to Be away from your company long? Also did you have to do any if the IT/PT while your gums were still healing? I have really good dental insurance currently and I'm debating whether I should pull my wisdoms now or wait until Cape May.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Jul 2011 06:14 AM
    When is your ship date? If you are close, WAIT! Something like that can delay your ship date should you encounter any problems. Dry socket, infection, the area still be open and considered in the healing process... all that can get you temp DQ'ed and sent home until such time as there is a later spot available for you to return. It is NOT that bad! My son had his out, he got a day in medical and then back to his company. Trust me, that is all you need.

In December I had 2 teeth pulled, they imploded with a massive infection, never knew I had it. Just woke up to a swollen jaw and pain like I hadn't felt since childbirth. I was back at work that next day. It is not a big deal. People make it much worse than it is. And I too have a severe dental phobia. I cried the entire time they were pulling my 2 teeth, I never felt a thing, they were sweet, gentle, kind... but in my mind, I would have been safer being pushed out of a plane at 10,000 feet with no parachute. Don't make dental issues into something they are not.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    TNCoastie

--
    28 Jul 2011 01:41 PM
    I too have a dental phobia...will they pull your wisdom teeth regardless? Mine have not caused any problems, as far as overcrowding is concerned.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Jul 2011 01:55 PM
    They may, they may not. It all depends what the dentists in Cape May see. Keep in mind as a civilian if you suddenly get a toothache or like myself, wake up to a throbbing face & swollen jawline and a tooth that is about to implode under the skin... Simple call to the office "Not coming in, I'm sick". Simple call to the dentist "I am coming in, I'm sick". All is taken care of. Now let's see it for you side... You are a Coastie going through the Panama Canal chasing a submarine of drugs coming out of Costa Rica and there is no dentist! Then what??? You are now in pain and a burden to your shipmates.

What teeth are the ones that will more than likely give you problems? Wisdom teeth! So in a lot of cases, out they come. It truly is not that bad!!!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    28 Jul 2011 02:14 PM
    Let's not forget about the possibility of being in the middle of the Bearing Sea in 40 foot waves and the prefect storm whirling the wind through your hair, leaving you no way to to get to a dentists office...
    TNCoastie

--
    28 Jul 2011 03:07 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 28 Jul 2011 02:55 PM
    They may, they may not. It all depends what the dentists in Cape May see. Keep in mind as a civilian if you suddenly get a toothache or like myself, wake up to a throbbing face & swollen jawline and a tooth that is about to implode under the skin... Simple call to the office "Not coming in, I'm sick". Simple call to the dentist "I am coming in, I'm sick". All is taken care of. Now let's see it for you side... You are a Coastie going through the Panama Canal chasing a submarine of drugs coming out of Costa Rica and there is no dentist! Then what??? You are now in pain and a burden to your shipmates.

What teeth are the ones that will more than likely give you problems? Wisdom teeth! So in a lot of cases, out they come. It truly is not that bad!!!!!
    Thanks for the response! I figured they'd be pulled anyway just in case of the instances you mentioned. Although I am very phobic of the dentist,  I'm sure I'd be able to deal with it. But would you happen to know at what point they would extract them, and if it would put me behind schedule as far as graduation is concerned? Or would it not be considered a medical issue to hold me back from graduating with my company?

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Jul 2011 03:17 PM
    If it held people back no one would graduate on time. LOL You'll get a day in medical and then back to your company you go. I have heard some going as early as week 3, some as late as the day before graduation. It all depends upon the schedule at dental... just keep repeating "needs of the service" that will apply to almost everything. I imagine if you got dry socket or an infection no one could have predicted or your lower mandible just falls off... sure, that might delay you a bit. But a simple yanky, cranky, tooth fairy pays you a visit... nope, you will be right on schedule and wonderful.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    TNCoastie

--
    28 Jul 2011 03:40 PM
    You make an excellent point-no one would graduate on time if that were the case. Thanks again!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    28 Jul 2011 05:48 PM
    Macie, when I was there the dentist told me that if you had wisdom teeth, they now come out. You will not leave Cape May without having them pulled. What they told me is just having them makes you "unfit for worldwide transfer" or some such nonsense. My teeth were perfectly fine, came in straight, no overcrowding, and they came out. Whether or not this is actually policy now or its just what I was told I have no idea.

TN, believe it or not, your CCs will understand about your dental work or if you get sick or hurt or whatever. They are actually nice people with hearts deep down, I swear. By week 6 or 7, you will love them.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Jul 2011 06:12 PM
    I hadn't heard that, interesting.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    28 Jul 2011 09:33 PM
    Yes...my son had a grand total of one wisdom tooth left in his head. The others were all very straightforward in-office extractions before he left ; our conservative dentist said to leave the other for a year, and it would be easier, and anyway, wasn't causing problems. At Cape May though, out it came! J. said it was completely worth it--he got a long nap, spent the night in the ward where he was allowed to visit quietly with other recruits, and was awakened the next morning by a kind nurse with a quiet voice. He would have happily traded all four wisdom teeth for this experience at that point in boot!
    DrCSK

--
    29 Jul 2011 06:28 PM
    Once again not all teeth are taken out in Cape May. I just transfered from there and my job was taking those teeth. On average 40% of the company get there teeth out.
    TNCoastie

--
    30 Jul 2011 11:52 AM
    Posted By KD on 28 Jul 2011 10:33 PM
    Yes...my son had a grand total of one wisdom tooth left in his head. The others were all very straightforward in-office extractions before he left ; our conservative dentist said to leave the other for a year, and it would be easier, and anyway, wasn't causing problems. At Cape May though, out it came! J. said it was completely worth it--he got a long nap, spent the night in the ward where he was allowed to visit quietly with other recruits, and was awakened the next morning by a kind nurse with a quiet voice. He would have happily traded all four wisdom teeth for this experience at that point in boot!

That's very reassuring 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement