Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
7 Coast Guardsmen punished for hazing on cutter
Last Post 25 Jul 2011 03:42 PM by Old Guard2. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
jchen012

--
20 Jul 2011 08:34 PM

I don't know if this was ever posted, but it is interesting... I was shocked that a Chief was involved. Maybe I am just naive to these things since I am a MST reservist and never had to serve on a cutter.

Seven crew members of the medium-endurance cutter Venturous have been punished for hazing fellow Coast Guardsmen in this ship’s berthing area, service officials announced.

One of the crew members was convicted of abusive sexual contact and must register as a sex offender. He and two other Coast Guardsmen are being kicked out of the service as a result of the two-year investigation, the Coast Guard announced Friday.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/...s-062711w/

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Jul 2011 06:06 AM
    There are people that will do things to an extreme in every work place, every facet of life... I can't believe an 8 year old little boy was dismembered and stuffed in a freezer in Brooklyn. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I'm sure there was misconduct, the military tries not to overreact to things but until you are there let's not pass judgement on the Chief or any of the other sailors. I know you aren't Chen, I know you just posted the article, that's fine. I just don't want to start a major all out assault on the character of these sailors... we weren't there, plain and simple, we don't know all of what went on.

Discuss it if you like... keep it civil and remember they are/were Coasties.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    21 Jul 2011 04:52 PM
    the act of "hazing" is absolutely not allowed and as old guard stated you are always gonna have someone who takes things to extremes. i believe now on most of the ships when certain "rites of passage" occur they do some silly or fun ceremonial stuff......but the old school stuff isn't supposed to be happening.
    ~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    25 Jul 2011 03:32 PM
    I was in a fraternity in college. What we did during pledging was all voluntary and NEVER physically abusive or demeaning. That being said, by it's on the books definition (anything that makes a person physically, emotionally, or mentally uncomfortable) some of what we did could be considered hazing. Any prison can opt out at any time, any person could theoretically bail and press charges, even long after it was over and done with. Part of acceptance into the fold was enduring these trials, most of which were minor and purely symbolic. By the end of it all, a trust was built between fraters that lasts for a lifetime. Part of that trust comes from the shared hardship (which in hindsight, was actually the most fun I had in college). I'm not trying to justify hazing. Sometimes we had people go on a power trip and abuse the process. They were dealt with, swiftly. However, I do feel there is a place for "fraternal" bonds forged from shared trial, "initiation" if you will, like what Jen was talking about. I don't know the full extent of what happened here. If sexual abuse was involved, that is unacceptable anywhere.
    When that stuff gets involved it can kill off the stuff Jen was talking about, the ceremonial rites of passage that bond fraters (and shipmates) together.
    Just my humble 2 cents.

Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Jul 2011 03:42 PM
    My ex was pledge master for ZBT in his frat days. As a Commander now if he did some of the things he did as a pledge master... Oh I shudder to think where his career would be! LOL But like you said Master, it was always all in fun. It was never to actually physically hurt someone or sexually abuse someone. Mentally pick on them, physically feel the pain after being made to climb the waterfalls... sure. But never to truly hurt, I don't think Jimmy has it in him to tell you the truth! As pledge master at one event I actually watched Jim run down, lose his balance and then plummet the rest of the way down the falls. He told his pledges they didn't have a hair on their chest if they didn't do it as graceful as he did! LOL I just stood there thinking "I'm dating this guy, why???" I think that was our 3rd date. HAHAHA
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement