Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Free cell phones are now a civil right???
Last Post 18 Jan 2012 03:26 PM by Gandler. 29 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
02 Aug 2011 06:09 PM
    http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/capit...z1TrgxELho

Recently, a federal government program called the Universal Service Fund came to the Keystone State and some residents are thrilled because it means they can enjoy 250 minutes a month and a handset for free, just because they don't have the money to pay for it. Through Assurance Wireless and SafeLink from Tracfone Wireless these folks get to reach out and touch someone while the cost of their service is paid for by everyone else. You see, the telecommunications companies are funding the Universal Service Fund to the tune of $4 billion a year because the feds said they have to and in order to recoup their money, the companies turn around and hike their fees to paying customers. But those of use paying for the free service for the poor, should be happy about this infuriating situation, says Gary Carter, manager of national partnerships for Assurance, because "the program is about peace of mind." Free cell service means "one less bill that someone has to pay, so they can pay their rent or for day care...it is a right to have peace of mind," Cater explained.

Wow! Right or privelage? What do you think?
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    02 Aug 2011 07:48 PM
    Privilege 100%. I could maybe see a house phone with free local calling MAYBE......
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    02 Aug 2011 07:56 PM
    "one less bill that someone has to pay, so they can spend their social security on necessities like Olde English Forties and frozen pizza"
    And honestly, I don't think anyone anywhere at anytime could ever say with a straight face that "peace of mind" is a friggin RIGHT. Most of the hardest working Americans around don't have peace of mind and haven't for a few years now!
    I don't buy it, someones pockets got lined with this deal. If it's Universal Service my money says new towers probably had to be built, and that someone on the Hill owns a LOT of stock in said contractors.
    I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but this wreaks of backroom deals.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Aug 2011 09:00 PM
    The absolute only reason I agree with it is for someone like my mother-in-law (sort of MIL anyway). She has never owned a cell phone, she can't absorb another bill, she is retired, her hubby is retired. With all of their medications and insurance supplemental that alone is about $700-900 a month for them. Her husband fell outside a couple of months ago & fractured his leg. She was a little scrambled for a few minutes not knowing what to do and then from the hospital she had no way to call any of us for help... For that reason, seniors on a limited economy, they can't afford it but they worked their whole life and contributed their part... I am totally in agreeance with it. Some baby momma that don't know no baby daddy and is too damn fly to get off her fat butt and get a J-O-B... to hell with her, him, them, whatever!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Aug 2011 09:04 PM
    OH, as a PS, I put her on my cell phone plan and got her a phone. I pay for it every month, I doubt she'll ever use it unless she absolutely has to... for that "peace of mind" should she end up in a situation where she needs us and she isn't at home.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    03 Aug 2011 11:18 AM
    Macie didnt think about that.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Aug 2011 11:35 AM
    That's why we port & report. Free to just a 20-something too lazy to pay for T-Mobile or AT&T or Sprint... well Kiss my Grits! And of course on the commercials, I've seen them a number of times here in Wisconsin, they only show these younger kids getting the phones!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    04 Aug 2011 05:37 PM
    Here's an idea.. Let's not stop at free cell phones. If someone doesn't want to work or go to college... they shouldn't have to. The Constitution SPELLS OUT the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. For some pursuing happiness is through hard work and achievement which in some small way benefits their fellow countrymen and women. For others, it's being able to spend their lives drifting aimlessly in search of validation for their existence. And, by God.. they should be allowed to pursue it, and the government should pay for it via the taxes of the working individual.

Or.. we could just save billions by stopping entitlement programs which will force people to work who are fully capable of doing so... But, then someone might get upset, and we can't have that!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    04 Aug 2011 08:27 PM
    Actually, I'm pretty sure you won't find "peace of mind" listed anywhere in the Constitution...
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Aug 2011 11:50 AM
    Just to clarify.. my entire first paragraph was pure, dripping sarcasm..
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    05 Aug 2011 10:35 PM
    Sarcasm? Really? I thought you were dead serious. >_>

Back on topic, this is ridiculous. I really do understand the idea of trying to help the poor or needy, but first this undermines the people who are busting their butt to get their own privileges just so you can GIVE those same privileges to someone else. Second, a rather large chunk of people in these situations are just flat out not trying because lawmakers will ensure that they don't have to try.

Yes, there are situations where someone could use the help, as Macie mentioned, however even in those cases, their are more economical solutions which won't cost as much to other civilians. I.e. those "I've fallen and can't get up buttons." Or even the little phones I saw a few years back that would hold (and only call) like 6 numbers for just such emergencies. Macie said it herself, her MIL will hardly ever use the phone. The cost of something simpler would help eliminate the waste.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Aug 2011 07:08 AM
    The "help I've fallen and can't get up button" still wouldn't have allowed her to get in touch with any of us from the hospital. She has several kids, between Scott, me, his brother & wife, her husbands kids... but none of us live all that close and we are almost all long distance calls. Not to mention, in the hospital without her little phone book (can you imagine paper & pencil phone book sitting next to a phone) she doesn't know any of our numbers anyway. Even more so when you are in the hospital & frazzled. And like I said, for her to absorb another bil... that would be difficult at best. They have their pension but believe me it is fairly paltry. Luckily the house is 100% paid off and their only BILL is their medical.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    06 Aug 2011 08:05 AM
    Oh my how that little button can be severely abused...I shutter at the thought of handing those out to any and all.

Cell phones are a privilege a convenience and in no way a right...if someone needs a cell phone as in Macie's case then just like Macie did the family should take care of it not the tax payer or the govt.

Now phone companies toss old out dated phones out by who knows how many plus make billions in profits...what a nice communications gesture it would be on their part to set up a used/old phone charity program for those that might qualify on a pro bono basis.

I say no as a right.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    06 Aug 2011 10:02 AM
    That's why I mentioned the other thing Macie. I want to say it was called a Firebug or something like that. It was a phone that could be programmed at a wireless provider with a handful of numbers. It didn't even have a traditional number pad, just a set of 6 keys that each automatically called whatever set number was programed for it. Not only would she not have to look up the numbers, but she wouldn't even have to key them it. One button and she has you, another and she has her son, another and she has someone else, etc.

But again, I only suggest that for people in her situation. Not for everyone.

And just to add on to capt's post, I could even see the wireless providers maybe setting up special plans for families trying to provide communication to their older or even disabled members. But agreed, not out of the tax payer's pockets.
    Iceman1978

--
    11 Aug 2011 01:25 PM
    I could see having a program like this for people who are permanently disabled, or who are retired and on a fixed income and unable to afford a telephone. Even then, I would limit them only to calling three people, which would be their doctor, immediate family member or 911 if they have an emergency.

But for the general public? If they're entitled to having a free cell phone then can I assume I'm entitled to free HBO?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Aug 2011 07:58 PM
    If they're entitled to having a free cell phone then can I assume I'm entitled to free HBO?

If you want free HBO I hear prisoners get it pumped into their cells. It's amazing how hard working Americans are left hanging in the wind. But, if you don't feel like working the government will wrap you in it's warm embrace.
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    06 Sep 2011 09:47 PM
    i am usually very conservative and very much against entitlements......however, i will say this.

as the mother of a pregnant 18 year old.....who just got out of a residential juvenile program. who is living on her own, attempting to find work. not enrolled in college because she graduated a year early unexpectantly.......i will say i am grateful for this program. my daughter needs the "leg up" and a number for people to call when she submits an application. in addition to the security of knowing she can call 911 if she needs to. she has burned her bridges with me......but i am grateful there is a program out there to "help". 230 minutes isn't much time.....but it is enough to set up interviews and dr appts. jmo
    ~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Sep 2011 06:57 AM
    In cases like that.. It's a worthwhile program. Giving someone a leg up, to help them out is one thing. Providing for people who flat out refuse to work, and feel entitled to gov't assistance is a waste of money and resources.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Sep 2011 09:50 PM
    I need a free 80 inch TV. My 42 inch isn't cutting it anymore. I need to get my congressman on that.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    10 Sep 2011 09:48 PM

lol u just made chief.......go buy one. haha it's still government money!!! hahahahaha
    ~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    10 Sep 2011 10:56 PM
    True, but I thought we were talking about handouts? I want one!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    10 Sep 2011 10:57 PM
    True, but I thought we were talking about handouts? I want one!
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    11 Sep 2011 05:43 PM
    What type of phone are you getting with this... a basic phone or like an android/iphone?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Sep 2011 05:52 PM
    You get an IPhone 5 before they're released to the public, complete with a direct line to the White House, unlimited talk, text, data, and a Bat Signal.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Sep 2011 07:54 PM
    It is a basic cell phone. No apps or android or smart... just a text & dial phone. The keypad is a normal phone, no no slide out keyboard or anything. The same phone you can get for free of $10 with no contract. The same kind everyone buys at walmart for a cheese-o throw away. There is nothing fun & sexy about it, generic to get you through.

What I want to know is you get 250 free minutes a month. What happens when you reach the 251st minute? Do you get a bill? Does the phone just sut out until next month rolls around? I'm not even sure if those phones have texting capabilities. If so, how many do you get and/or what's the cost/overage?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    12 Sep 2011 09:46 PM
    i am not sure about txt but i believe the phone just doesn't work for calls......like a pre-paid. when it's done its done.
    ~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    30 Sep 2011 05:03 PM
    i have to say i hate the idea of handouts. maci i understand where the idea of for older people come in but like you said you added to yoru account. Most people can do this as i have my mom and grandmother on my account. my mom uses a good bit but i think my grandmother has used 30 minutes in the last 6 months
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    13 Jan 2012 05:17 PM
    this is upsetting to me. nobody is entitled to anything other than their life and their freedom. The government should not give anyone anything.
    jdash86

--
    15 Jan 2012 05:45 PM
    I can see both sides here. However, not everyone senior has a family to support them. Not every struggling pregnant woman has a loving mother to care for her. This is a great program under proper use. There should be a screening process, sure. But it's certainly not a bad thing to "hand-out" a little help to certain people. And nobody is entitled to anything? Not education? Not military protection? There was more to the founding of our country than a single line in the Constitution.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    18 Jan 2012 03:26 PM

Posted By jdash86 on 15 Jan 2012 05:45 PM
    I can see both sides here. However, not everyone senior has a family to support them. Not every struggling pregnant woman has a loving mother to care for her. This is a great program under proper use. There should be a screening process, sure. But it's certainly not a bad thing to "hand-out" a little help to certain people. And nobody is entitled to anything? Not education? Not military protection? There was more to the founding of our country than a single line in the Constitution.

A cell phone is far from a necessity. nobody needs a cell phone to live. I am not against helping people in need (although I am against most handouts). But what is next, the government will deem TVs are a human right. Comeon, its starting to get ridiculous. As Ron Paul says, you are entitled to your life and your liberty, but nothing else.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement