Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Non-Rate units
Last Post 18 Aug 2011 08:50 AM by woodywamp. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Landstander

--
07 Aug 2011 09:26 PM
    I meet with my recruiter to set up MEPS and what not and he suggested looking around for what I may want to put down on my dream sheet. 
    My first question is what stations are non-rates able to go to? 
    Second, can I game it so I'm get on a cutter that is about to be deployed? 
    Third, anyone know anything about small boat station Seattle?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Aug 2011 06:27 AM
    Non-rates are at about 98% of all Coast Guard stations. To tell you which cutter is about to get underway would be a violation of OPSEC, not to mention, I don't know what cutters are about to get underway because it would be a violation of OPSEC.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Landstander

--
    08 Aug 2011 10:13 AM
    I understand OPSEC. On the dream sheet you could Put say "cutter from Portsmouth due to be underway"
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Aug 2011 10:34 AM
    You could... I'm fairly certain it would get a good chuckle out of the detailer. I don't know that it would get you much more than that. Just keep saying to yourself "Needs of the service". If all the cutters in the Portsmouth area just filled up with non-rates in the last 4 boot camp companies, there might not be anything available. Or they might need a boat load of non-rates (pun intended) and you'll get precisley what you want. This is something almost totally out of your control. So you would just have to sort of roll with whatever...
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Luisells

--
    08 Aug 2011 04:28 PM
    for starters i am USCG newbie, what is NON-Rates?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Aug 2011 06:48 AM
    A non-rate is what you are upon completion of boot camp. You are a Coastie but you haven't gone to A School for your rating yet... so you are a non-rate. Seaman Apprentice (E-2) and Seaman (E-3) are considered non-rates. Once you go to A school, graduate and put on your crows (the collar devices) then you are a Petty Officer and no longer a non. Petty Officer 3rd Class (E-4),
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Luisells

--
    09 Aug 2011 06:16 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 09 Aug 2011 07:48 AM
    A non-rate is what you are upon completion of boot camp. You are a Coastie but you haven't gone to A School for your rating yet... so you are a non-rate. Seaman Apprentice (E-2) and Seaman (E-3) are considered non-rates. Once you go to A school, graduate and put on your crows (the collar devices) then you are a Petty Officer and no longer a non. Petty Officer 3rd Class (E-4),

Well hopefully the time in between wont be long lol, thank you for the schoolin
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    13 Aug 2011 08:32 AM
    The wait will be at least 1 year, maybe 2.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    jabberwookie

--
    14 Aug 2011 08:50 PM
    When I filled out my dream sheet, I put west coast shore station (yes, I requested a shore station...before anyone starts screaming, I have a special needs situation in my family that requires I don't spend a large amount of time away from home). I ended up with Station Monterey, so...exactly what I asked for. Just be general and don't get your hopes set on one particular boat or station.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jchen012

--
    16 Aug 2011 03:21 PM
    Also note that if you don't want to be a non-rate, you can go directly to A-School for critical ratings. I know OS is a critical rate right now. And they even have a signing bonus. I think FS is another one, but I could be mistaken. Just giving you options if you don't want to clean toilets and mow the lawn.

As for Station Seattle, what do you want to know? I'm at Sector Puget Sound, which is on the same base as Station Seattle. We do use station assets, especially the Sector VBST.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    17 Aug 2011 10:05 PM
    OS is not a critical rate any longer. It hasn't been a guaranteed school for a while. People keeping saying "You can go right to OS school!" when that hasn't been the case for some time. It is true that up until the last class list, the wait was incredibly short and you didn't have to wait 4 months to put your name on the list. Now expect to wait up to a year. It has slowed down a lot. No more double classes and the classes are farther apart. And we do NOT have a signing bonus. We have a critical skills training bonus which means you can get a bonus if you agree to stay an OS for 4 years after the completion of school. FS is the only guaranteed a-school available as of this time.

FS is the only guaranteed a-school. But don't pick it or any other rate to avoid being a non-rate. Its not worth it if its not what you want to do. But if you want to be a cook more than anything, by all means go for it.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    woodywamp

--
    18 Aug 2011 08:50 AM
    Just to clarify, if you go to "A" School, you can, and some will leave as an E-3. This would make you a rated E-3. So your title would be for example, FNMK or SNFS. This happens a lot because of schools with little to none on the waiting list.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement