Hi there, I just picked a random zip code in the Boston Area and did a quick search a the Aux. unit finder web page http://cgaux.org/units.php
Take a look at each of them. The one closest to you might not actually be the one you want to serve with. You want to choose a flotilla that's got several things going for it.
1. Good chemistry. If you seem to fit in, that's better than being the odd man out. If you're the only Pittsburgh Pirates fan in room full of BoSox fans, things could get 'funny'.
2. Unit that operates where you want to go. You want to double check and see if the flotilla goes out on regular patrols in areas you want to go. Some flotillas are mostly education and boat inspections/safety. Some are all-aviation. Ask questions!
3. Unit that has a connection to an active duty station. Some flotillas operate on-their-own without much, or any interaction with regular CG forces. I don't think that's the case in Boston much but I'd double check. To get the maximum possible benefit of experience out of the Aux. you may want to make sure that your flotilla can offer you some chance to work with and learn from the active duty.
4. Convenience is important. If you choose a flotilla that meets walking distance from your home (or your boat) that's always good but double and triple check. Many flotillas have only temporary arrangements with a business owner or school in order to meet once a month and these can change without showing up in the Auxiliary Flotilla Finder immediately. Some units are privileged to have permanent homes and facilities. Most do not.
5. The need of the unit for YOU! Do your best to figure out if a particular flotilla needs YOU more than another. Remember, you're trying to find a way to contribute. If you find 2 flotillas that both suit your desires and needs but one happens to be desperate for a Ham Radio expert and the other really needs an IT guy (and you happen to be a HAM) maybe you should think about that a bit. Same goes for you if you have a boat that you want to register as an "operational facility" for CG Aux. use. If you find a flotilla that is down to only 1 boat, maybe they need you more than the others.
eMail me at VicNaz1@aol.com if you come up dry on these issues and I'll do what I can to find someone up in 1st District to help you out (I'm down here near Washington DC, 5th District).
Nearest USCGAUX Flotillas to 02128
Flotilla 51 - WINTHROP FLOTILLA http://a0130501.uscgaux.info/
Flotilla 58 - OLD COLONY FLOTILLA http://a0130508.uscgaux.info/
Flotilla 53 - CONSTITUTION FLOTILLA http://a0130503.uscgaux.info/
Flotilla 5-25 - MYSTIC RIVER FLOTILLA http://a0130525.uscgaux.info/
Flotilla 49 - LYNN FLOTILLA http://dev02.cgaux.org/generic/index.php?flo=013-04-09
Flotilla 43 - MARBLEHEAD FLOTILLA http://a0130403.uscgaux.info/
Flotilla 12-5 - BRAINTREE FLOTILLA http://dev02.cgaux.org/generic/index.php?flo=013-12-05
Flotilla 12-3 - PT ALLERTON FLOTILLA http://a0131203.uscgaux.info/
Flotilla 4-15 - DANVERSPORT http://home.comcast.net/~flot415-1nr/