Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Finally meeting with a recruiter tomorrow!
Last Post 08 Sep 2012 06:37 PM by rhbmwb. 23 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ebee

--
15 Aug 2011 04:58 PM
    I've been surfing and posting on the boards for a week or two now, but I'm so excited to finally be meeting with a recruiter tomorrow!!

A little info on me - 27, BA and master's degree. My professional background is in public administration and program eval, so nothing that translates into a CG rate. Would love to go Officer, but from what I hear that is extremely competitive. Sooo, I am also looking in to enlisted active duty and reserves, with the hope of eventually getting an opportunity for OCS. Any of these options would give me a chance to serve my country, learn some new skills, and be a part of something bigger than myself, which is ultimately what I'm looking for.

The advantage I see with active duty is obviously being able to fully immerse myself and getting the chance to move somewhere new.
    The advantage I see with reserves is that I can likely go to A School much sooner and get into a specialty, and I can stay at home which has its own advantages.

I will be completely honest here and I hope no coasties take offense (maybe there's someone out there in a similar situation who can provide some insight??), one of my "reservations" with active duty is that I am 27 and I have 4 years of professional experience + grad school, and I don't want to feel like I'm selling myself short of anything professionally or personally. Then again, I could just think of it as doing things a little backwards. 

Anyway, I've really been going back and forth on my options a lot the last few weeks. One day I'm pumped for reserves, and the next I'm ready for active duty. Hopefully talking to a recruiter will help clear things up.  In the meantime, any advice or well-wishes are appreciated. Thanks everyone, and looking forward to sticking around for a while!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    15 Aug 2011 10:49 PM
    Welcome Aboard ebee!
    I recently graduated college, and to pass the time between whenever I ship and now, I scrounge between digging holes and replacing windows for a living.  I don't have as much profession experience or advanced schooling as you, but I've had plenty of people tell me I'm being silly enlisting in the Coast Guard instead of going for a commission in another branch. Here's the rub:  It's what I WANT to do. OCS later? Maybe.  Right now, it's enlistment for me.  It's not like it was when I was in high school, where you enlist out of high school, or you commission out of college.  Times have changed.  But even if times were the same, the breadth of what you could do as an enlisted person in the Coast Guard is great.  It's an outstanding opportunity, no doubt about it.
    If I were in your boots, I'd enlist while applying for OCS.  That way, if OCS can happen sooner for you (if thats what you want to do) then it will.  If not, well you're still a Coastie, still gaining experience, and can go right ahead and apply again. Kind of a win/win in my book, really.
    As far as Reserves and Active duty go, I'm going active duty and never really thought about reserves. That one I can't help you with

Good Luck with whatever you decide! Wow that recruiter tomorrow!
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    16 Aug 2011 07:40 AM
    Thanks for the insight, MG. Hopefully the recruiter can give me a better idea of timelines and chances for OCS. I'm definitely leaning towards active duty today though so will go into the meeting getting as much info about the OCS process and active duty.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    16 Aug 2011 03:10 PM
    Had my meeting today. The reserves vs active duty question was answered pretty quickly as even for reserves the recruiter said that even for reserves I would have a 2 year wait for IS A School. I might still consider another rate, but I think that active duty with OCS apps will be a better option for me to be honest. If I'm gonna do it, I wanna do it all the way.

Unfortunately I can't really move forward in the process (ASVAB and MEPS) until I get doc records for my broked wrist back when I was like 12. I called my doc as soon as I got home and had to leave a voicemail so hopefully I can get that straightened out in the next couple days. (I actually hope they don't keep records more than 7 years or whatever it is, then I can just have them write a letter saying as much).

In the meantime, I'm going to start looking over OCS application materials and do some studying for the ASVAB. He said he had a woman recently who had two BA degrees and she scored a 35 on it. Whoops! I will not let that be me!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    14 Sep 2011 01:59 PM
    Wow my last post has a lot of typing errors. Haha. Anyway, my mind is still changing every day about what I want to do. It doesn't help that I'm in the process of trying to find a new job and my current job gets extremely busy this time of year. So I'm going to call my recruiter tomorrow and send over my medical stuff which is hopefully enough, then see if I can get MEPS/ASVAB scheduled ASAP before I can no longer take time off from work.

And yea, right now I'm actually looking at going in to FS enlisted. I actually really enjoy cooking, and it sounds like FS also provides some really good opportunities in terms of management (getting in to budgeting, meal planning, purchasing, etc). I'm still also looking at OCS.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Sep 2011 02:04 PM
    My son LOVES to cook, he is a great cook, he is an imaginative cook but the last thing he wants is FS. The reason is because cooking for him is a release, a labor of love for him. If it suddenly becomes his full time job and he HAS to cook, the passion, the fun, the relaxation will be gone for him. That is something to lightly consider. You may want to make a career out of professional chef and that is a great thing. His girlfriend's dad is a professional chef. He loves getting together with him and make crazy dishes together. As a full time job, he might not enjoy it as much (my son). Just a thought, maybe something you hadn't thought about. When a hobby becomes a profession the bloom may fall off the rose, as it were.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    14 Sep 2011 11:06 PM
    My cousin was FS and loved it. He is always quick to point out to me that as FS aboard a cutter he still got to go on boardings and other such fun stuff. He really likes to cook as well and as FS he didn't lose his love for it. Everyone is different though. If you're going FS for any reason other than you WANT to go FS, I say don't do it. If you want to do it, go for it, but get some time in first so you see what FS does at your first unit and decide then if it's what you want.
    Like you (and my cousin) said, FS is much more than just cooking, but that is obviously the biggest part of it.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    20 Sep 2011 01:13 PM
    Thanks both for the FS advice! Knowing that they get to do more than "just cook" is reassuring. I admit that part of the appeal of the CG is getting to be "in the action" in a sense, and FS ensures that I will always have something to do, and it seems like FS aboard a cutter especially will ensure that I get to try out a variety of things. I'm tired of desk jobs!!!!

Another thing that appeals to me with FS is the impact that you can have on everyone's morale. Especially if we're out to sea, a good meal can make a big difference, and I have always been one to try to improve morale whether I'm working in an office or on a group project at school.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    29 Mar 2012 12:22 PM
    Well it's been a while but I'm happy to be back and once again working on the process of (hopefully) enlisting in the USCG reserves.

Some job changes (got a new job!!) and personal stuff held me up previously, but I'm meeting with a new recruiter in a couple weeks (looking at reserves; previously spoke to the recruiter for Baltimore, but want to be in DC).

From my first time around, I already have a letter from the doc's office that dealt with my broken arm saying they no longer have my records. Anyone know if it matters that the letter is dated from October?

I still would like to go FS, but the recruiter didn't mention it as an available reserve rate when I e-mailed him, so I'm getting more info on a few others (SK, IS, YN, ME).

Regardless, very happy to be back in the swing. This board is so extremely helpful!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    29 Mar 2012 02:00 PM
    Welcome back, we wish you the best. Do not see a problem at all with the dated letter...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    19 Jun 2012 02:37 PM
    Bumping my own post just to vent that the wait while I try to get my medical records is getting extremely frustrating  Still staying the course, but man it is not a simple task trying to get records from hometown doctors you visited 25 years ago. Even when they know they don't have the records anymore, it's a long, complicated process to get a letter saying as much!

/vent
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    big_dumb_monkey

--
    19 Jun 2012 02:56 PM
    Part of being in the military is waiting.

When you go to MEPS you wait. When you send for records you wait. When you pee in a cup you wait.

Hurry up and wait really sums it all up.

Personally I look at it like fishing. You cast your line and let the bobber sit there. When it goes under yank. Otherwise, drink a beer and enjoy the sun.

-BMD
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    17 Aug 2012 06:48 AM
    Another step forward! Finally got my date for MEPS, including the ASVAB.

Got less than 2 weeks to study up!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    17 Aug 2012 08:13 AM
    Yay! There ya go, one step forward. Good luck on your next two steps.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    17 Aug 2012 09:46 AM
    Totally awesome...stay focused on your goal and you shall achieve it!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    17 Aug 2012 11:19 AM
    @ebee--I have two study books in PDF format I could email to you if you need some extra study material.
    But I've got promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Robert Frost
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    17 Aug 2012 11:39 AM
    Thanks guys! cgilliam - You actually already sent them to me a few weeks back after I saw you make the offer to another poster Used one of them today actually!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    17 Aug 2012 05:17 PM
    I've sent them to so many people that I just can't keep track
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    30 Aug 2012 06:38 AM
    Posted By cgilliam on 17 Aug 2012 06:17 PM
    I've sent them to so many people that I just can't keep track

Thanks so much for the books!! Helped me study and take practice tests bc I could print out pages and use them on the bus or during my lunch break. Much easier than ripping the pages out of the book that I purchased And I ended up getting a 98 on the AFQT so they definitely helped!!

Hram025541

--
    30 Aug 2012 09:38 AM
    saw that there is PDF study material and was wondering if someone would be able to send them to me? Truly appreciate the help.

-ebee congrats on the great score!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    30 Aug 2012 02:44 PM
    @Hram--If you'll send me a PM with your email address I'll be more than happy to send them to you!
    rhbmwb

--
    04 Sep 2012 07:43 PM
    I have a comment if anyone can help on this same topic. My son also has been waiting a year. His recruiter told him his ideal weight on the phone so he lost weight. Then he finally had his apt. with the recruiter back early March. He kept steady contact but inadvertently didnt check 2 boxes on his physical form so apparantly that sat 2 months on some Dr's desk. It was finally e-mailed to my son to correct and the recruiter of course re-filed it. My son checked yes about asthma as a child, and I told him that was incorrect. He was a rule/ out asthma at one time and diagnosed with environmental allergies. This too couldnt be changed on the original form and we had to get info from his pediatric chart to back this up. The recruiter told my son that it could just be brought to the MEPS day. Next, after much time my son was finally given a MEPS date of Aug 21st and told everything was in order. Well, 2 weeks ago the morning of the 21st, as he was packing with an overnight bag and ready to leave the house, he received a call saying his paperwork was not in order and he couldnt come that day. It was a petty-officer from the recruiting office that called. My son went down there and the main recruiter told him that as far as he was concerned it was all set. The petty officer is now in charge and finally got back to my son saying it was because of the asthma mention. Next thing is his original paperwork has now expired and last week he had to file all new forms. They even made him check the asthma again even though he told them it was an error originally. Now we wait some more to see if the office will actually expedite this to get him to the sept 11th MEPS day. He is 23, a college grad and got a 93 on his high school ASVAB. He is ready to retest at any time because it was all general knowledge for him.

If anyone out there, especially with experience in the USCG can help us could you please respond to me? We are so very frustrated and this is all he wants for his life right now. He feels like he has been in limbo for close to a year. I feel that this is in God's hands now as there is nothing we can do... thank you for reading
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    04 Sep 2012 09:40 PM
    MEPS SUCKS plain and simple...They will stall and delay, in my opinion to get you to give up, they will make the asthma situation extremely difficult and may even delay things more...If I was your son I would immediately make an appointment with a pulmonolgist and have all the tests run to show without a doubt he has no asthma problems, having that paperwork in hand on the MEPS visit on the 11th, have duplicates filed away safe. Having asthma checked will be very tough indeed, but having current documentation from a specialist showing he is good to go will be the best chance of getting past MEPS. I can share more in PM. I truly understand y'alls frustrations and feel for your son, I wish him all the best!
    rhbmwb

--
    08 Sep 2012 06:37 PM
    thank you sir,  also I would like to know if the Coast Guard does request all of a recruits civilian medical records or if they only want those that back up the controversial issue at hand; one way or the other.  i.e. the asthma?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement