Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Papa 185
Last Post 03 Sep 2011 02:18 PM by Old Guard2. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
stifflv

--
19 Aug 2011 11:15 AM
    Hello all! My name is Dwayne and my daughter has just entered USCG Boot Camp on 16 August 2011. Based on the pattern of the recruit company naming, she should be in Papa 185. So instead of waiting, I have taken the initiative to start a post to allow others that have a loved one that entered on this date to start posting questions, concerns and just some general support and encouragement for wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, siblings and children. I am a former US Navy Submariner and know what boot camp can be llike for these young people. It will be stressful, hard and at times a little painful on their newly forming muscles. However, there have been thousands that have come before them and made it, so keep faith and encouragement. Write them as often as you can (when we get their address). Those letters from home mean more to them right now than anything in their world and will help their motivation and drive.

I look forward to meeting you all on graduation day.

Dwayne (Las Vegas, NV)
    stifflv

--
    19 Aug 2011 11:25 AM
    Here are some other websites that may be useful for everyone:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/recruit/FAQs.asp" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/recruit/FAQs.asp
    http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/recruit/graduations.asp" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/recr...ations.asp

A ggod one to see weekly posts from a designated member of their company each week will be (just look for anything with Papa 185 in the heading):
    http://www.uscgbootcamp.com/go/doctype/763/49039/?offset=10" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.uscgbootcamp.com/go/doct...?offset=10

I know, it is sometimes difficult to find information, since there are MANY Coast Guard web sites. A FEW that I know of are:

http://www.uscg.mil/
    http://www.uscgbootcamp.com/
    http://www.gocoastguard.com/
    http://www.uscg.org/

"support" type websites:

http://www.coastguardwives.com/
    http://coastiechicks.net/

(there are more of these as well)

I have also discovered that there will be a Facebook Page set up for the company:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/191927040850723/#!/groups/197116696994120/

In a week or so, the Papa 185 Facebook page will crank up, as well as this forum, once Google discovers these links, and friends start searching for "Papa 185".

Dwayne
    stifflv

--
    19 Aug 2011 11:50 AM
    I have just discovered that they will be in James Hall so the address will be:

SR ____________ (son's or daughter's name here)
    Recruit Company PAPA 185,
    James Hall
    USCG Training Center
    1 Munro Avenue
    Cape May, NJ 08204-5083

Graduation will be 7 Oct 2011
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Aug 2011 12:01 PM
    Welcome aboard! You hardly need us at all! LOL If we can help in any way, let us know. It looks like you have it under control but you never know. Congrats on your daughter enlisting. As a Navy man & submariner, what did you think when she said Coast Guard?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    stifflv

--
    19 Aug 2011 12:55 PM
    Thanks Old Guard2,

I am now an IT Director in the civilian world, so finding information on the web is second nature to me....lol. Also, thanks to the lessons I learned about "Attention to Detail" in the Navy is really helps.

As far as her going Coastie....I am all for it. This is something she has been looking forward to for some time. The USCG is a great service with a great mission! Any service to this country is highly appreciated in our family. Her uncle is full-time Army National Guard and has been to both Saudi Arabia (Gulf I) and Iraq (Gulf II). Her boyfriend will enter boot camp in 3 weeks for Army National Guard.
    Buckeye

--
    20 Aug 2011 03:12 PM

Hello I'm Ken from Ohio and my son just entered CG training with Papa 185. I Read your post and look forward to staying in touch with you other parents. Just received a letter today from CG with address and company information. The information I received was

SR----------
    PAPA 185 James Hall
    USCG Tracen Cape May
    One Munro Ave
    Cape May NJ 08204-5083

They said Initials and then last name after SR

stifflv

--
    20 Aug 2011 07:31 PM
    Hey Ken,

Welcome! I am Dwayne from Las Vegas, NV. My daughter is Brittni and she is Papa 185 also. I went out to check our mail as soon as my wife saw your post and...yes....we got our letter also. Thanks for joining the Papa 185 Forum and we look forward to keeping in touch with you and all the other family members till we meet at graduation day. GO PAPA 185!
    the5ofus

--
    20 Aug 2011 07:37 PM
    Hi all- my name is Stacy, from SC. My son also just entered CG training with Papa 185. My son was actually kind enough to pint out several of these sites before he left. Knowing his mom all too well, he knew that I would need support I think I'm finally over the initial shock and the swelling on my poor eyelids has gone down. This was just much harder than I thought. This is our oldest (21) of our three children, and I'm truly blessed to be so very close to him. Don't get me wrong....I could not be more PROUD and we are behind him 110%! I look forward to keeping in touch, getting to know some of you, and last but not least, finally meeting you when we come together to celebrate our USCG grads

And, yes Buckeye, I received the same letter. My son had also copied that info for me before he left. But, mine states the following:

SR "last name" , 1st & 2nd. initial the rest is just as you have it above.
    Buckeye

--
    20 Aug 2011 08:24 PM
    Thanks Dwayne my son is Adam , we are from Marion Ohio. Yes Stacy it is hard especially for the first one to leave home! This is what Adam has always wanted to do and we also are very proud that he has made this decision. Adam graduated from High School this year and then was off too training! Go Papa 185! Semper Paratus ! October 7th can't come soon enough but when it does there will be a large group of proud "Momma's" and Papa's! and of course some impressive well trained patriots ready to serve!
    stifflv

--
    21 Aug 2011 12:41 AM
    Welcome to the forum Stacy! Buckeye is right, the first to leave is very hard to take for a while. Brittni is our oldest and first to leave. I was in the Navy and my mother was here in town tonight reminding me of the time when I left and how difficult it was for her those first few days and even weeks. Rest assured it does get easier. We all must write them and keep it positive for their motivation to overcome the stress of boot camp and homesickness. When we see them October 7th, they will be walking taller and standing prouder than we have ever seen them and see the true adults that they have become. If you need to talk just post here as my wife and I will be checking as often as possible.

We were checking out the USCG Parents, Family and Friends on Facebook and someone posted a great set of pictures from Juliet 185's graduation this past Friday and noticed Oscar 185, which is the company directly before Papa 185 in the pictures. So I am hoping that someone from the next graduating company posts such great pictures that we can hopefully catch a glimps of our future Guardians!

Buckeye is right October 7th cannot come soon enough!

GO PAPA 185...Semper Peratus!
    tomhbeatle

--
    21 Aug 2011 11:04 AM
    Hi Dwayne, I am sending you a page from my web site. Its a site about my time in the Coast Guard in 1966,when my shipmates and me went on a fantastic voyage.
    This page should be very helpful in answering any questions you may have. I am very proud that I served in the US Coast Guard. It was great then, but now,its even Better... If you visit my site please take the time to go through it, its got a lot of history of the USCG, such as the Northwest Passage and so on.
    Be very proud of your Daughter, she MADE THE RIGHT DECISION !!!
    Take care,
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze12hp0j/id56.html

Tom Hough Spar wlb-403/1966
    8/21/2011
    the5ofus

--
    21 Aug 2011 11:09 AM
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I was happy to find FB pages, and very surprised to see that a page for PAPA 185 was already up & running I cant wait to see a journal post or picture....I did want to ask a question about mail. My sons girlfriend read that it may take 12 days for them to receive our letters, any insight on this? Also, any particular dos & don'ts (other than common sense no-nos & positive support) when writing?

Thanks so much! Stacy

GO PAPA 185........we are so very proud!!
    stifflv

--
    21 Aug 2011 09:31 PM
    Stacy, I'm not sure how long it takes them to get their letters, but, like everything in boot camp, they must "earn" it by performing well as a team. The only real do's and don'ts would be to send them letters and maybe a small picture if you like. The cards that make music could cause them a bit of grief from their CC's as they will be a distraction.

On a side not, I see that your family lives in Summerville, SC. That is were I lived when I was stationed in Charleston for the Navy...so many years ago. I loved that area! The only real thing I remember (other than Charleston's great historic sites) is spending a lot of time at the Summerville speedway watching the Winston Cup series. Before that I lived in Ladson.

My wife and son are both working on their first letters to Brittni tonight. I've been writing mine every day since the day she left for MEPS....lol
    stifflv

--
    22 Aug 2011 12:56 PM
    Correction. I was in Goose Creek before Summerville. Told you it was a long time ago...lol.
    annafaris24

--
    25 Aug 2011 04:03 PM
    HURRICANE IRENE:
    TRACEN Cape May WILL be evacuating on 8/26 at 8 am. Here is the official release. Please do NOT call the base.

Information for family and friends of recruits at Coast Guard Training Center Cape May for hurricane
    The staff of Coast Guard Training Center Cape May are closely monitoring the approach of hurricane Irene and making preparations for its passage and potential landfall. There is a strong probability that our facility will be affected to some extent. Even if the hurricane passes offshore, we expect strong winds and rain. This will likely have storm impacts to the area such as localized flooding, loss of power and downed trees.

The safety and well-being of all personnel assigned here, be they recruits in training, uniformed permanent-party staff or civilian employees and contractors, is our highest priority. We are currently planning to secure the facility against high winds and rains and ensuring that all personnel have adequate food, shelter and medical care in the event of major storm impact. Should our command deem it necessary, or should the county declare a mandatory evacuation, we are prepared to move all personnel to our alternate location at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst located 18 miles southeast of Trenton, N.J.

In the event of an evacuation, recruits will still have minimal ability to independently contact their families and friends. Please rest assured that the safety of your loved ones is our first priority, and that we will do everything we can to update you as to the location and disposition of all training center personnel as quickly as possible. You may call our public affairs office at (609)898-6362 with any specific questions or concerns. You can also email our current public affairs officer, Lt. j.g Michael H. Cole at michael.h.cole@uscg.mil with any questions.

calkm01

--
    03 Sep 2011 06:59 AM
    Hello to everyone, My name is Ken. My wife and I have a daughter,Rachel in papa-185. We are from a small suburb just outside of Chicago.
    This is our first experience with the military and are very proud of Rachel, we look foward to seeing her and learning about her time at boot camp. We understand the tentative date of graduation is October 7th.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Sep 2011 02:18 PM
    Welcome aboard. I'm from Beolit, WI. My son and ex-husband are both active duty Coast Guard. If you have any questions, let us know. There is always someone around to help. October 7th is the date unless another hurricane upsets things. LOL I doubt that will happen.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement