Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Collar devices for non-rated personnel
Last Post 22 Aug 2011 07:08 PM by Cooch. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
19 Aug 2011 01:00 PM
    I posted a voting poll on the military.com forums.  I am trying to see what the general concensus might be for members in the E-2 or E-3 paygrades having a collar device.  We are the only branch that doesn't have some kind of visual identifier on the E-2 or E-3 uniform, so that we can distinguish between the two.  This poll is for those that are in the Coast Guard only, as I don't want the voting to get dilluted from outside participants (no offense or anything).  The voting is split down the middle so far, and no E-3 or below have voted on it yet.  For those in the Coast Guard, if you get a free minute to help me out, I would appreciate it.  I am trying to determine whether or not it is worth submitting to the uniform board next year.  Here is the link, and thanks in advance:

http://forums.military.com/eve/foru...lresults/Y

Kevin
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    19 Aug 2011 05:11 PM
    i would say no from taking the time and being a non rate forever. It was very rewarding when i pinned on 3rd. i think that would be something that is missed out on.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    19 Aug 2011 09:58 PM
    I haven't voted yet but these are my initial thoughts. I get my crows Wednesday. While I never really hit the fleet, it's definitely a source of pride for me to get my crows. However, it is kind of embarrassing when service members of other branches are wondering why you don't have a collar device. It made me feel out of place these E-2s and E-3s had collar devices and we as E-3s did not.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    19 Aug 2011 10:08 PM
    One of my main thoughts is that there should be something that distinguishes a Coast Guard E-3 from an E-1. I don't know exactly what should be on the collar, but there should be something that helps identify them. As of right now, there is no self-pride when someone gets advanced from E-2 to E-3. While it may not be the most significant milestone in your career, there should be some level of fanfare and pride associated with it, rather than just a crummy certificate and an almost unnoticeable bump in pay. I don't think I would like to see the non-rate hat pin used as a collar device, but I have heard others bring up the idea of using the shield without the chevrons for those advancing to E-3. I think I can support that idea. Southern, I see your point, and I lived through that too back in my day. I don't think you would miss out on the special feeling though, since you would get a chevron and get to sew your crow on your bravo jacket. The biggest deal for me was getting to be called 'Petty Officer' rather than 'Non-rate'. Non-rate was literally my first name for two years. I was even on a softball team with some of the Petty Officers, and I would hear things like "nice catch non-rate". I hated that name. I just think there should be a little more respect for the junior enlisted, and this would help instill some more pride in those members. We have to keep in mind that they are going to be our future Chiefs. If we can build the pride early on, it should grow stronger and carry forward through the different paygrades.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    19 Aug 2011 11:03 PM
    yay cooch

From my perspective, I would say I could go either way. Our E-2's don't get different treatment from E-3's. They do all the same work.

I would think it would be ok to have the 2 slashes as a collar designation for e-2 and then 3 slashes for e-3, just like how it is on the bravo jacket.

Something that I would like to see is a separate designation for designated nonrates. Ya we get to wear a designator on our bravos, but not on our covers or collars. I am going to wait way longer to make E-4 waiting on a striker list than someone that learns all the material in several weeks after they waited on the A-school list. Not really fair.

And it's also not fair that I taught myself over the course of 6 months, studied on my own for the tests, and the DWO, but yet, I have to wait a year to make E-4 after going on the list while someone at a-school is spoon fed everything and after their last test they make it. bull. seriously.

Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    20 Aug 2011 11:17 AM
    I didn't see a survey posted by you cooch. I only saw one from some goof who liked the Red Sox. So Dolphindriver didn't respond.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    20 Aug 2011 11:42 AM
    +1 Sardaddy!,
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    20 Aug 2011 08:17 PM
    Sounds like the guy that posted the poll has incredible taste. He's probably really good looking too.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    21 Aug 2011 09:28 AM
    I would say no for the same reasons southern said but it would be nice to designate between a new E2 and a more experienced E3. Maybe something on the cover but not the collars. I was talking to a few friends of mind, it is funny how differently you get treated when you have something on your collar.

Bells, why didn't you add your name to the A school list and strike? I don't see much hate for someone who went to A school, say they were at a sector or air station where striking wasn't an option? What if they had a really crappy deck department who wouldn't help them strike?

ps added my vote to the other forum but i just troll there.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Aug 2011 10:00 AM
    +1 E

I went to "A" school after a year on a 270'. I sure as hell earned my seat. The information was spoon fed, but I still had to study, complete the course work, and put up with the pain in the ass of being attached to a Tracen for 12 weeks. I could have struck MK, but I didn't want to stay in VA.

Try not to hate Bells... I know it's frustrating, in the end you'll be a better BM for all of your hard work.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    21 Aug 2011 10:35 AM
    "good looking" is subjective.....
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    22 Aug 2011 07:08 PM
    Posted By chukles on 21 Aug 2011 11:35 AM
    "good looking" is subjective.....

Jealousy is an ugly color on you Chuck.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement