Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
PDQ'ed
Last Post 07 Aug 2018 03:32 PM by CPORJM. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
micapama

--
22 Aug 2011 06:21 PM
    So I just got the news today from my recruiter. I was PDQ'ed because of inhaler use/reactive airway disease. It sucks, I only used my inhaler for a week! My recruiter told me I could possibly take a test to prove i dont have asthma, but he isnt helping me with it. Help anyone? Oh and I have Kaiser if that helps in any way. Worse comes to worst, I'd join the Army or Marines. I really want to join the Military, and there's no other career I'd settle for. I heard waivers are available for the other branches. Never heard of my situation for the USCG.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    22 Aug 2011 07:11 PM
    Your only option would be to go to an allergist and have a pulmonary function test done to see if you have the condition or not. The cost of the test would be out of pocket for you unfortunately. Good luck.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    micapama

--
    22 Aug 2011 07:29 PM
    Thank you. I called my doctor at Kaiser and she's setting me an appointment. HOPEFULLY I wouldn't have to pay much. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that when I do pass, MEPS will accept it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    22 Aug 2011 08:04 PM
    I went through a similar situation although the doctors at MEPS didn't decide to DQ me when they got my first prescreen. That doesn't mean much, some docs are more DQ happy than others. Mine just happened to be in a good mood that day.
    The test is expensive, but my insurance covered the majority of the cost.
    They'll hook you into a machine and have you breath funny. Deep breaths, rapid exhale, breathing through a valve, etc. I can tell you that if you have no current breathing issues, you should be just fine taking the test.
    Those results cleared me for MEPS and its been smooth sailing since. I hope the same is true for you!
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    22 Aug 2011 09:19 PM
    Sent you a friends requests with my thoughts...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    micapama

--
    25 Aug 2011 05:17 PM
    @captkyguy Thank you sooo much for all that information!

I'm going to take a Pulmonary Function Test this Tuesday. After, it's just a matter of time. I'm praying that MEPS will review it quick enough.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    25 Aug 2011 07:34 PM
    You are most welcome...praying with you!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    micapama

--
    15 Sep 2011 05:33 PM
    Looks like it's the waiting game all over again. Took the PFT, passed. Got a doctor's note saying that I don't have reactive airway disease or asthma. How long do you think it'll take, assuming my recruiter turns in my papers next week?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    15 Sep 2011 06:57 PM
    If it is only a few papers to add, then it will take about one week from the date of submission. Just be patient because your recruiter and your MEPS liaison are also handling dozens of other applicants at the same time. Best of luck.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    16 Sep 2011 09:39 PM
    The waiting game is much better then the disqualified game...great news on the no asthma...hoping for the best.
    micapama

--
    18 Sep 2011 12:53 PM
    I know I might be thinking a little too much, but let's just say I still got PDQ....am I able to try to join another branch?

-------I want to say thank you to everyone on this forum who has answered numerous questions and has given support to all future coasties! I really don't know what I'd do without all of you!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Sep 2011 01:33 PM
    A PDQ isn't for the Coast Guard, it is for the military! So if you are DQ'ed, it is an all military thing. Don't get ahead of yourself... let your recruiter submit the paperwork, don't stress over this... it is what it is and it will work out one way or another. Best of luck, just hang in there.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    18 Sep 2011 02:24 PM
    As Macie states, a PDQ is for all branches and you should not get to far ahead in the what if game...however if MEPS proves to be a road block, you may find that another branch just might be willing to request a waiver for you, I would not stop short until each and every branch said thanks but no thanks. I would walk into each and every branches recruiting office (most are right next door to each other), provided you are serious about serving your country and being apart of something greater then yourself, and then sell yourself to them, show them you are squared away, have everything in order and are worthy of their time and effort.

Fingers crossed for you, your additional medical documentation should be very helpful for you, let’s see what news your recruiter brings back to you.
    MSTMate145

--
    07 Aug 2018 03:09 PM
    Any updates on this?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Aug 2018 03:32 PM
    Posted By MSTMate145 on 07 Aug 2018 04:09 PM
    Any updates on this?

You are aware that the latest post on this was nearly 7 years ago.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement