Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Show and Tell: USCG
Last Post 19 Sep 2011 09:10 PM by Cooch. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cecilomar

--
04 Sep 2011 11:05 PM
    My Background: I'm a seaman serving onboard a cutter. I'm currently on leave back in my hometown.

The Problem: My cousin is an elementary school teacher and she wants me to talk to her students next Thursday about the Coast Guard and what we do... I'm not very good with children, but I'm very happy to help her, but I really don't know where to start.

My Questions:
  • Does anyone had a similar experience?
  • What should I talk about?
  • What shouldn't I talk about?
  • Can I wear my uniform? I always travel with my uniform, just in case.
  • Any suggestions?

• Thank you.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    04 Sep 2011 11:24 PM
    My mom is a 3rd grade teacher and I spoke to her class last spring. I am also a seaman and at the time was serving on an MEC. Don't sweat it too much, also, don't get mad when they confuse the uniform with another branch. I wore my Bravos and asked both my Chief and 1LT if this was ok and both said it was. As for worrying about them, just tell them what you do. Boardings, boat lowering, even painting. Talk about the places you have been and what you have gotten to see. Mostly, have them as questions. Most of what they want to know they will ask. Also, don't stress, little kids are easily entertained. Most of them instantly look up to you when they see you in uniform. Good luck! I also took pictures and videos to show them!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Sep 2011 07:18 AM
    Cecil,

My dad portray Abraham Lincoln, he is actually one of the foremost authorities on Lincoln. He LOVES doing schools, especially the little kids. They really want to learn. They don't always sit still or listen too well but they really are interested. Like cougar suggested, just tell them some of the fun stuff you do, the places visited, what its like to drive a really big boat. You can teach them some new words... bathroom, hallway, water fountain... Just be yourself, talk to them like you would anyone else, breathe & smile. They'll love you. If you know how many kids, maybe you can call your recruiter and see if he has some pens or something that you can hand out to the kids. If you are doing many classes, that might not be possible but if it's one class, you never know. Most of all, just have fun wuth them. They really do want to drink up what they are taught, just let them.

Macie
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Sep 2011 07:36 AM
    I do presentations for schools as often as I can. So...

Give a little history on the CG and you. Tailor it to your audience, if you use sailor speak translate it, and don't use acronyms.

If you have access to a laptop google "An average day in the Coast Guard" so you have some visual aids. If you have a local CG unit nearby I have no doubt they will offer some ideas and support if you ask.

Don't talk about anything that could be OPSEC. If you don't think you should talk about it, don't.

Bottom line, have fun with it. You're going to be the expert on the CG.. tell a couple sea stories, talk about your unit and shipmates, and answers their questions.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    05 Sep 2011 08:36 AM
    Cecil kids are awesome at this age, they will be so excited you are coming to visit with them, to them you are a hero, they will adore you, so talking and visiting will be easier then you might think. Share exciting things with them, even painting, chipping and cleaning can be exciting when shared with energy and excitment and importance, let them know about fire drills on board, they do fire drills in school and will have one coming up in October, share with them about the boat racing off for a SAR, how the crew works as a team, answer their questions, if very young their questions most of the time turn into stories about their friends friends friend or family relatives, you may need to real that in and remind them about questions...have fun with with them, give them the WOW factor so that they will remember what you shared and perhaps even want to be just like you...most importantly imo is to share how important school is to becoming a coastie, how important staying out of trouble is to being a good coastie, be sure to shake all of their hands before leaving, some may want to hug you, as a firefighter at show an tells that was a very rewarding moment because you know you just inspired this young person...HAVE A TOTAL BLAST!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Sep 2011 01:16 PM
    And being that these kids are young and impressionable, use this time to talk about the dangers of drugs and how the Coast Guard tries to keep drugs out of the country. Focus on the positives at all times. Remember, they're just kids, so keeping them entertained and interested is the most important part. You can even go online and print out some Coast Guard coloring book-type pictures that you can leave them with at the end of class. Google things like "Coastie the robot" and it will lead you there.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Sep 2011 01:20 PM
    I almost forgot...

Get in touch with the local recruiting office. They might have some goodies for you to give away such as pencils, stickers, etc. This time of year we are low on everything, but it can't hurt to ask.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    05 Sep 2011 07:59 PM
    Questions you will be guaranteed to be asked. I have yet to be in a setting like that and not be asked these questions:

1. Do you have a gun?

2. Have you killed anyone?

3. Is it scary to jump out of helicopters?
    cecilomar

--
    19 Sep 2011 08:14 PM
    Thanks to all. It was very special. Definitively a great experience! I was kind of scared at first. The best part was that they actually asked me questions that I wasn't expecting them to ask. Of coarse, they asked about dolphins, whales and sharks.

Again, thank you guys for giving me he confidence I needed.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 Sep 2011 09:06 PM
    dolphins, whales and sharks

They are all very tasty, indeed!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    19 Sep 2011 09:10 PM
    Endangered is my favorite flavor.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement