Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Cutter question
Last Post 14 Nov 2012 08:52 AM by GM1USCG_RET. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
saltlife97

--
24 Sep 2011 06:26 PM

Hey, i got a question(s), What is it like being on a cutter in port and at sea? Is it hard to get a positon as a BTM on a cutter? Im mainly asking about the cutter in the mobile, Al district. Im already started working out and training myself in marksmenship (ive been around guns all my life) and stressful situations. Im 14 so i got some time. Any information on life on the cutter will help. And thanks for you who have serverd and are serving in the U.S military

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Sep 2011 07:43 PM
    Welcome to our forum. I am aexperience former wife to a Coastie and a mom to my other Coastie. I don't have any first hand practical experience to answer your questions. However, you have come to the right place, we have many Coasties on here in many different situations and hopefully one of them will be along soon to answer your questions. I do wonder though... why are you only looking at the Mobile, AL cutter(s)?? There are many in the fleet and what can't be accomplished at one unit, can certainly be tackled at another. I was just curious.

At 14 you have some time before you can enlist, if that is something you might be thinking about. If you are, just remember to get good grades, stay out of trouble, keep yourself in shape and speak to a recruiter in a few years.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    saltlife97

--
    24 Sep 2011 09:27 PM
    I live in Alabama and think it would be cool to be based in my on state but ill go anywhere. Thanks for the reply
    GM1USCG_RET

--
    12 Nov 2012 09:14 AM
    Its good to see someone your age with an interest in the CG and its missions.  I was a Firearms Instructor in the Coast Guard for 19 of my 22 years in.  I have 4 kids...  All born in different states!  My oldest is now 21 and is in her 3rd year of studying Mechanical Engineering in college.  My son is the youngest and is 13.  He likes playing video games.  I once had orders to the Ocean-going Buoy Tender (WLB) that was stationed in Mobile (USCGC Salvia), but they were cancelled and I went somewhere else.  If you want to know more about CG units, go to www.uscg.mil  and look for Units on the CG mainpage.  That should tell you what is in Mobile.  For larger cutters, you may have to look at LANTAREA cutters or District cutters.  

If you have ANY questions at all...  Don't hesitate to write back anytime...  I'm RETIRED!!!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    12 Nov 2012 10:35 AM
    Welcome! My son talked of nothing but the CG from the age of 10; we began visiting with our nearest recruiters (two hours away) with him when he was 15.
    He has been in the USCG now since August 2010, and is living an amazing life for young guy not yet 21.

Our advice, based on his experience: research the fitness standards, and start working out at levels appropriate to your development. Don't overdo weights-- your frame is still developing! Play sports, especially ones that involve endurance. Try not to get hurt; it complicates things later.

Get good grades; cultivate self-discipline early.
    Stay out of trouble: the CG , unlike other military services, is law enforcement as welll as military. Their expectations are higher.
    Go to www.gocoastguard.com and make an account. There's tons of good info, and on your 17th birthday, you may get an email from a recruiter inviting you to contact them.
    Make an account on www.military.com as well. Take advantage of their online practice ASVABS later, maybe in your junior year.

Eat real food. Choose the company you keep with care. Have fun and be a kid till the last minute.
    And visit here frequently. This is a great place to ask questions.
    GM1USCG_RET

--
    14 Nov 2012 08:52 AM
    All great advice for a Young Coastie.  I second KD's suggestions!  Above all, STAY OUT OF TROUBLE!  Swimming is a great way to stay in shape and is the best exercise.  It will also help you in boot camp.  When you're 16 or 17, don't just talk to the recruiter.  Contact the nearest CG unit and get a tour of the place.  Ask the unit XO if you can talk to the newest member of the unit.  They would be the best source of recent info about boot camp and the good and bad about what he or she has experiences since then.  If the XO is hesitant to let you talk to this person, it may be because that person may have made some "poor choices" and isn't doing well.  In that case, ask to talk to the "Leading Seaman" of the unit.  That will be the most "squared away" non-rate there and probably departing the unit soon to go to "A" School or is set to advance from striking in the near future.  

I did more "stuff" before I turned 21 than ANY of my high school classmates.  This happened because of the choices I made after joining the Coast Guard.  I had more fun in 22 years in the Coast Guard than most people I know have in a lifetime.  I retired in 2005 with medical disability.  Over the years of having a bit "Too much Fun", I acquired a few spinal injuries.  "Stuff" Happens.  I have very few regrets from my 22 years of service.  If you are married or planning to get married and have kids while you're in, be prepared for it.  Its not easy.  All four of my kids were born in different states.  I would suggest marrying someone familiar with "The Life" already.  My Spousal Unit's father was retired from the Navy.  When I met her, she still had a dependent's ID card.  If you are married to someone not familiar with the "Life", there are organizations for Spouses to acquaint them with military life.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement