Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Coast Guard Live Chat
Last Post 02 Jun 2013 01:39 PM by Cooch. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
25 Sep 2011 04:37 PM
    The CG recruiting site now has a live chat feature for applicants looking to ask questions or get more information. 

If you log onto www.gocoastguard.com and click on Chat now, you will be able to live chat with a recruiter in the chat center.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    25 Sep 2011 05:41 PM
    If you use the Chat feature, please let us know what you thought of it! Only by getting feedback, both positive and negative, can we make it a better product!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    cycology

--
    26 Sep 2011 08:45 PM
    AWESOME!

Chatted with "Russ", he was helpful and friendly, love this new chat feature!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Landstander

--
    26 Sep 2011 08:45 PM
    I tried it... The process to get to the chat was long and I actually gave up because I got a phone call. I did not enter the chat but I will try again at a later time.
    cycology

--
    26 Sep 2011 08:50 PM
    The intro is a bit redundant if you have submitted your info to the site before.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Landstander

--
    28 Sep 2011 03:27 PM
    after using the chat I can say it's a great tool. It allows real time answers to questions and allows one to ask a number of questions at once. I found that after one question was answered I would have one more and the chat did allow, like I said real time. Point, it was good because it was more like a conversation. Also that hours are good, I was able to log on at 2200 est, which was a plus.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    28 Sep 2011 07:07 PM
    Cooch/Chuckles are actual CG recruiters manning these or who is on the other side of the screen?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Sep 2011 08:37 PM
    Me... HAHAHA

I would hope it was an actual recruiter but that is an interesting question!
    USCGC Midgett
    chukles

--
    29 Sep 2011 01:10 PM
    I had to stand down from the chat due to personal reasons. Yes the chat center is manned by actual CG recruiters.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    29 Sep 2011 05:12 PM
    wow at 2200 eastern people were getting chatted with. That means either thats a recruiter from Guam or recruiters have night chat duty!
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    29 Sep 2011 05:13 PM
    Sorry for the double post but the whole chat idea is a great idea. I remember doing the AF chat when I was considering AF and it got a lot of questions answered without the pressure of being recruited from a local recruiter. This also helps potential people get questions answered rather than waiting to get in contact with a recrutier.
    chukles

--
    29 Sep 2011 05:28 PM
    Recruiters are working through midnight. There hours are varied but we set it up to have good coverage.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Sep 2011 11:42 AM
    We man the chat center from 1200 to 0000 (there's no such time as 2400 lol) during the week, and there are slightly different hours on the weekends. I was there this past week. The entire thing is manned from Coast Guard Recruiting Command in Arlington, VA. It was interesting. In my opinion, the greatest value comes with the fact that an applicant can find out instantly if they are disqualified or not, provided that they are 100% honest during the prescreening questionaire. The ones that were not weren't doing any favors for themselves or the recruiter they were chatting with. It is a great tool, and I recommend that all interested applicants (that aren't already speaking to a recruiter) utilize it.

To address an earlier comment, yes, the process to get to the chat can take a minute, but that is only because you have to fill out the prescreen first. You have two options 'GENERAL' and 'RECRUITING'. If you want to join the CG, select RECRUITING. Otherwise, your information will not be sent to a recruiting office to begin the process. Once you fill out the prescreen, you are instantly connected to a recruiter, so there is no time delay.
    jbrow148

--
    02 Oct 2011 07:25 PM
    Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but I can't find the Chat Now button anywhere. Where is it located?
    Leah272

--
    08 Oct 2011 04:23 PM
    did It get removed?
    February 14 , 2012 =)
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Oct 2011 09:32 PM
    The trial period has ended. It will come back in the future if we have good feedback from the test group.
    SweetCosmicPope

--
    11 Oct 2011 10:56 AM
    I actually used the chat when I started this whole adventure to get some advice. I was put on with the regional director over Texas recruiting, and he was extremely helpful at answering my questions. I honestly believe that it expedited the process, because I got my questions answered the first day, and I knew how I had to prepare and what was expected of me with the recruiter, and everything has been pain-free, so far.
    lighter812

--
    11 Nov 2011 07:04 PM
    Is there any position about golf please? thank you.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Nov 2011 07:06 PM
    Not sure I understand your question. I'm sorry. Any position about golf????
    USCGC Midgett
    pmpj21

--
    14 Jan 2012 05:48 PM
    hello, my name is juan and I'm 18 years old. Ive been thinking about joining the coast guard for about 6months now . i wanted to do the reserve cause i will graduate in june 2012 from high school . i don't know whether to join after i get my assosicate degree or do the reserve . i also have a couple questions
    will they pay for my college expenses after i join college and than join the coast guard afterwards?
    is it better going in as an officer? 

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Jan 2012 06:40 PM
    Hi Juan,

First piece of advice, post this as a new thread. Most people will read this but this is about a live chat feature we are attempting to create on the forum. Your questions have nothing to do with that and if you want answers, you might be better served starting your own thread. That is just a piece of advice, I'm certainly not yelling at you or telling you were wrong. I just think you could get better responses if you go with your own post.

Anyway... If you go reserves, you will have to sign a 6 year contract and you will not be able to switch to active duty or if you can it is very, very difficult! So you might want to think about reserves a little more. As for college reimbursement, the Coast Guard does not have any plan like that. If you go to college, then join the CG, you pay for college. If you join the CG and THEN want to go to college, you can use tuition assistance while you are on active duty, you can use your GI Bill after you get out of the CG. Another thing to consider.

Is officer better??? That's a tough question to answer. It certainly depends upon your end goal. Officer is an excellent path, enlisted can be just as rewarding and have as great a career! You can make officer from the enlisted ranks and you will have the best of both sides of life.

Your best bet... go have a sit down with a recruiter. You have some great questions. The answers all come down to what would make you happy and give you the best opportunities in your life. A sit down with a recruiter that can help give you answers will really go a long way for your understanding of what happens. Keep asking us some questions, we are happy to help. Just remember, start your own thread, make sure you get exposure on the forum and get all the answers you can get.
    USCGC Midgett
    willekg

--
    17 Jan 2012 05:46 PM
    is there any update as to when the live chat will come back? have a bunch of questions i'm writing down for when i can. thank you.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    17 Jan 2012 05:48 PM
    Most questions can get answered here since there are recruiters on the board.
    cameran

--
    21 May 2013 07:02 AM
    i really really want to join the coast gaurd but i dont know how im about to be 15 and am planning to join once im 18 or age appropriat but i dont know how. thank you
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    02 Jun 2013 01:39 PM
    Posted By cameran on 21 May 2013 08:02 AM
    i really really want to join the coast gaurd but i dont know how im about to be 15 and am planning to join once im 18 or age appropriat but i dont know how. thank you

Once you are about to graduate high school, give your closest recruiter a call. You can find them on www.gocoastguard.com.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement