Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Cornrows in basic
Last Post 05 Dec 2018 04:20 PM by CPORJM. 26 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
PinkSeas

--
03 Oct 2011 04:11 PM
    Im worried about what to do with my hair during basic. As you can see from my pic I am a woman of color. The easiest solution for me would be confide or braids. Are you allowed to have braids if it's within the guidelines?
    fixed

--
    03 Oct 2011 06:01 PM
    I haven't gone to basic yet but I'm sure that if they were simple braids with no designs and were above the collar, they'd be okay. Don't take my word for it though.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    03 Oct 2011 06:10 PM
    fixed, it's easier for you to not give an answer if you don't know the answer for sure.
    fixed

--
    03 Oct 2011 06:17 PM
    I read it in the uniform manual, in the 'Grooming Standards' section. http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/...020_6F.pdf

"Haircuts and styles will present a balanced appearance. The hair may touch, but not fall below a horizontal line level with the bottom edge of the back of the collar.
    All ponytails and long hair, including braids, must be neatly and inconspicuously fastened, pinned or secured to the head and must not fall below the lower edge of the collar. No portion of the bulk of the hair as measured from the scalp will exceed two inches.
    Braided hairstyles, such as cornrows, are authorized and will be conservative and conform to the guidelines listed herein. When a hairstyle of multiple braids is worn, braids will be of uniform dimension, small in diameter and tightly interwoven in symmetrical fore and aft rows that minimize scalp exposure and present a neat, professional, well-groomed appearance."
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    03 Oct 2011 07:53 PM
    Right up until your Company Commander says to take them out. They will never ever do anything illegal, but hair gel drills wouldn't be as fun if you have corn rows... Also, as per uniform regulations, you don't have to wear white underwear under a uniform, however at basic, you better be wearing plain, white undies. Manuals are excellent after boot camp, but until then, you are at the company commanders whim. Again, if you don't know the answer, it is better to wait for someone who does.
    PinkSeas

--
    03 Oct 2011 08:09 PM
    Those hair gel drills are for real! I thought that was one persons horror story. Dang, I was really hoping to get braids to skip maintenance -just wake up and go. I think I will get them and my cc says they gotta go then o be it. I will take the chance. Thanks!
    potassium

--
    03 Oct 2011 09:36 PM
    I've skimmed over the uniform manual and through this site a good bit. So minus the cornrows, what's the preferable hair style a woman should have going into boot? Right now, my hair is almost shoulder length (growing out an ugly pixie cut). It's long enough to put up in a ponytail, but not long enough for a bun. I'm not sure if the 2 in rule applies... but it is longer than a 2 in ponytail. I still have a couple months and I'd like to keep growing it out, but I'm willing to cut it back to chin length if that will make things easier.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bahchic

--
    03 Oct 2011 11:03 PM
    Pinkseas why would you want to go to bootcamp and end up on the CC's radar straight off the bus. Cornrows are not authorized, a girl in my company had them and they made her take them out.Besides
    All females have to wash their hair every night so cornrows would be a waste of time plus you wont have time to rebraid it.
    PinkSeas

--
    04 Oct 2011 03:21 PM
    So cornrows aren't allowed in bc, you mean. Thanks, then I won't get them. Again, I'm a women of color and I was just trying to find ways that are easy maintenance. Don't want my hair turning into a tangled mess. I will manage. Thanks for all the advice
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    04 Oct 2011 04:48 PM
    Training centers usually have different policies on grooming standards.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    04 Oct 2011 09:02 PM
    im with E on this. a training center can add requirments to there uniform policy just like nay other unit. just like i said if you dont like them there is no one making you join. if you think you can do all the stuff that you are complaining about then join if not just turn around and leave. I just have a short fuse when it comes to people that believe they are entitled to things.

on the one person that asked about a pony tail it isnt authorized at cape may as when i left there. it is a bun or have it real short one of the two
    potassium

--
    04 Oct 2011 09:18 PM
    Southern, not sure if your referring to my question or not. Either way, thanks for the answer. Short ponytail it is!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    04 Oct 2011 09:20 PM
    I said ponytails are not authroized at cape may as of when i left. you can have short hair that doesnt touch yoru collar or you can wear a bun
    potassium

--
    04 Oct 2011 09:25 PM
    Oh... guess I read that wrong. Hmm... ok. Let's hope it grows enough before I leave then.
    PinkSeas

--
    05 Oct 2011 11:57 AM
    Southern,
    Who is complaining? This is a forum correct? I am simply thinking aloud and asking questions that come to mind.  Why are you trying to deter me from joining. I'm well aware of what I am getting myself into. I just asking about the misc. items.  Besides, i thought this forum was created for those who are willing to share information and advice.  But I thank you for your reply and taking the time out to answer my questions and concerns.
    PinkSeas

--
    05 Oct 2011 12:01 PM
    Entitled?  For your information i am prior service -  each branch has different regulations, I'm just want to be well aware in order to conduct and follow.  I fought for my country and willing to continue on.
    Excuse me but I have a short fuse for people who assume.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    05 Oct 2011 07:46 PM
    im not trying to deter you at all of joining. im just saying if you dont believe you can handle what is set forward dont join. if you can please join and keep serving. I have meet a lot of people that feel they are entitled and im not going to go into to much depth of this. but if you can so be it enjoy botcamp and serving
    PinkSeas

--
    06 Oct 2011 12:56 PM
    more assumptions i see... so anyway... *rolling eyes*
    To stay on the safe side and reading everyone's comments - i will not do cornrows in bootcamp, just going to sport a bun and buy lots and lots of conditioner.  Thanks for the advice.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    06 Oct 2011 02:16 PM
    My oldest daughter joined the CG back in 06 and I think she still has occasional nightmares about the hair thing. hehe She has longer hair and never really wore it up at home....maybe the occasional ponytail but that's it. So she wasn't very adept with the bun thing. Then, just her luck, she gets a female Company Commander who is super intense about how the females do their hair and she was constantly getting yelled at, even if she only had one hair out of place. That's definitely where the gel comes in handy. I can't remember what brand they sell at the exchange....or if it's even the same now....but if you see the blue stuff, get that! You'll end up with helmet head but at least it'll stay in place.

When my younger daughter enlisted a year later, she wasn't about to go through all that so she chopped her hair off really short. All she ended up having to do is put a bit of gel on it to keep it out of her face and that's it. Her CC's weren't quite as particular about that sort of thing, though. She had two male CC's....both had been up there awhile....just weren't as intense as some of them can be.

Anyway, thank you for your prior service and best of luck to you!

Laurie
    PinkSeas

--
    06 Oct 2011 03:30 PM
    LOL! Your post made me laugh because  I probably will go thru the same nightmare as your eldest daughter. I too have long hair - that is super thick and curly and it gets tangled very easily.  A little bit of water or humidity...POOF! Really, just trying to find a way for my hair not to be an issue, dont want to fuss over it and more importantly dont want my CC fussing over it, I must stay under the radar.  Thanks for the tip - if i see any blue gel, i will buy a couple of jars.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Oct 2011 03:52 PM
    You could just shave your head. That'll take care of the problem, BUT may not allow you to fly under the radar. Decisions, decisions...
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    06 Oct 2011 05:16 PM
    we had one girl in our company that almost got a high and tight for the last week. Then another girl they threated to give her a buzz cut because she could not keep her hair in order
    PinkSeas

--
    06 Oct 2011 06:05 PM
    LOL! i could rock the G.I. Jane look...
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Oct 2011 11:26 PM
    You can wear the braid there. Period. I have had applicants go with the braids, and I have verified ahead of time that it was authorized. You will be fine.

- Chief
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    jkc96

--
    07 Oct 2011 08:52 AM
    PinkSeas: Congratulations on your excellent career choice, and your positive attitude will go far. Welcome aboard!
    PinkSeas

--
    07 Oct 2011 10:52 AM
    Thank you for your warm welcome jkc! I'm looking forward to the new experience. I'm nervous and excited
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    05 Dec 2018 04:20 PM
    Posted By lizzyjam on 05 Dec 2018 03:57 PM
    Cornrows are great! A lot of ideas here https://africanamericanhairstyling.com/cornrow-braid-styles/

As long as they fall within the CG grooming standards
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement