Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
The Famous 5th Week Phone Call Home
Last Post 29 Feb 2016 11:00 AM by Old Guard2. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
NewbieMom

--
10 Oct 2011 04:57 PM
    I haven't seen any questions about this, so maybe I'm the only one worried about it.  When recruits get their 5 minute call home to tell their family the duty station, if the call goes to voice mail, is that their only option, or can they try a different number or tray again later?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Oct 2011 06:44 PM
    If it goes to voice mail, they will be allowed to try calling back. If you can, forward your phone to your cell. Then if your recruit calls home or cell, mom or dad, it will ring at your phone. So you will get the chance to speak to your recruit. That's a great phone call.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    NewbieMom

--
    10 Oct 2011 06:48 PM
    Thanks for the info, Old Guard 2.  I feel better knowing that we wouldn't have to settle for just a voice mail!  Forwarding is a good idea.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    11 Oct 2011 03:22 PM
    In my company, if you got the voicemail, too bad so sad. That was your one shot. So I guess it depends on your CCs. We had a plan. I called my mom's cell for everything, and she made sure it was never more than 3 feet away from her for 8 weeks.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    LeahCorrine

--
    12 Oct 2011 01:47 AM
    I've been sort of worried about this also.
    The fifth week I am moving into my mom and dads, so I don't have to pay another months rent. Problem is there is NO cell service for about half hours drive around their house. I'm not sure if I should just try and hang out in town all week. -Really hard to do with a 3 month old baby. Or if I should just have him call my parents.
    Is the call typically at the beginning or end of the week?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    12 Oct 2011 06:39 PM
    LeahCorrine,
    That's a tough one. I don't know how far along your husband is in boot camp, but if there is time maybe you could send him a letter with instructions to call your parent's house? If you miss the call, you'll have to wait until the following week when he has another chance to call.... on-base liberty is at the end of week 6, I think. The calls can come anytime between mid week of week 5, to mid week of week 6 (that's when mine came).
    Proud Coastie Mom
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    13 Oct 2011 11:14 AM
    I never considered the whole voicemail thing. My dad sucks about answering his phone and my mom lives on the other side of the country from him (the two don't speak...that'll be fun at graduation), she's not home half the time and her rinky-dink cell isn't the most reliable in terms of service. Might be better off sending smoke signals or using two soup cans and some string.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Oct 2011 12:26 PM
    Well nothing says you HAVE to call your parents. You can always call a significant other, a friend, an aunt or uncle you know will answer & pass along messages to everyone. Try telling your dad "Around this particular date, if you see a call from 609 area code... ANSWER THE PHONE!" mom and a rinky dink cell, well that one I don't have an answer for.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    NewbieMom

--
    14 Oct 2011 07:03 AM
    MasterGuns, I'm so sorry you have to face that situation.  But I love your sense of humor, it will serve you well.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    16 Oct 2011 08:44 PM
    Not sure if it is still true but when my son was in boot camp [whiskey 182] we were probably the first group of parents that really had an active facebook page. Turns out the CC also monitored our page. When our week 5 came I missed the call-I was at work and my son did not know my cell number. My sons CC had him attempt another call on a Sunday am and suggested he get my cell number...it certainly helped that I had mentioned on the facebook page that I would be at work on Sunday am and would have my cell phone handy and hoped he would use that number...I really appreciated that CC's help...my son couldn't figure out why the CC told him to get the number and had him make the call that am!
    foreverxkatelyn

--
    29 Oct 2011 07:10 PM
    ahh! my boyfriend just left this past Tuesday. time is going by sooo slow! but i can't wait for the infamous 5 week phone call! i'm so nervous that i might miss it too! does anybody know what day they usually call or what time or is it just randomly??
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Oct 2011 08:39 PM
    Your week 5 call is going to get tricky!! Week 5 for your bf's company is the Friday after Thanksgiving. So orders might actually come a little eariler in the week or they might not arrive until Monday, the start of week 6. However, if his company earns it, they will participate in Operation Fireside for Thanksgiving. What that is... Local families in Cape May will "adopt" a Coastie for the day. They will pick up their Coastie and take them home for football, food, a day of relaxation. ALmost all Coasties are given the chance to use the host families phone to call home. SSo you should be getting a phone call on Thanksgiving and then you'll get a call shortly sometime after that with his orders. Don't worry about how long it seems to be taking right now, it does get quicker. Also, you'll realize that the days really do seem to drag by but the weeks will just fly by and it will be over before you really realize.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    foreverxkatelyn

--
    30 Oct 2011 12:43 PM
    ahh! that is kinda scary. but i'm just hoping that if i'm at work, i still can answer!! and yeahh, i've heard about the operation fireside for thanksgiving! what an amazing idea! i'm hoping that he'll get that and be able to call! can't wait and i know.. i'm trying to keep myself busy but it's just so hard. it hasn't even been a week! i'm hoping it will start to fly by soon!
    jenbethg

--
    02 Nov 2011 06:20 PM
    I know just how you feel! The days seem so long!!! But now it is week 2!! Only 6 more weeks to go! Its hard not being able to talk to them. I am glad I finally get to write letters though. I just can't wait till I get one from him and hear how he is doing.
    Harkink1

--
    27 Feb 2016 09:41 AM
    Random question.. But when they do call from basic will there be a caller ID number coming up on my cell? Just wondering because I missed a phone call this morning that said "no caller ID" and I want to cry if I missed it haha.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Feb 2016 04:53 PM
    That PROBABLY wasn't it. The payphones, if there are any even left, will come up with a 609 area code. But I know most have been using their cell phones for these calls. Either way a message would have been left and a second chance is almost always given at a slightly later time.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    27 Feb 2016 06:22 PM
    My son called his mom today and she almost didn't answer the call because it had no ID.

He is now in week six.
    Loronus

--
    28 Feb 2016 08:49 AM
    They no longer have Payphones at the Training Center from what I remember and they don't use their cell phones. We used the office phones of the Company Commanders and our Company Commanders prioritized Married Couples first to allow them to start making plans. I didn't even call home about my orders but that was also because I already knew I was going straight to 'A' after boot camp.
    hooligan

--
    28 Feb 2016 10:52 AM
    It may not seem funny now.... but trust me, these are going to be the things you laugh about later. This is the good stuff, as difficult as it can seem now, trust me, please, remember it.

We were all told to bring certain items 'in a small bag' and, unexpectedly, as soon as we got our uniform issue, our 'small bags' were shipped home from Cape May. My dear departed Mom loved to tell the story of how she panicked when my small gym bag arrived in the mail, she didn't know what in the world to think, 'what's his bag doing here and what have they done with my son?' It's a question that works on a few levels.

Funny now.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Feb 2016 11:00 AM
    Hooligan, how long ago was that? I've never heard anyone having personal effects sent home. They are just locked up and returned upon graduation. Although, as a mom that sent her son to boot, yep, I can imagine your mother's reaction! That had to be priceless!! They have to return more than this to me, I'm his mom!!!! LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement