Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Occupy Wall Street
Last Post 22 May 2012 04:53 AM by LauraDK. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Gears

--
17 Oct 2011 02:04 PM
    By now you've all seen the reports coming in from the Occupy Wall Street campaign. The movement has gone global, which I find most impressive.

So, I ask... Where do you stand? Do you think this show of civil disobedience is going to accomplish anything, or is this just an excuse for the unwashed masses to get off the couch?

The floor is wide open...
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    17 Oct 2011 03:33 PM
    Well I might be the only one out here who has not seen or know anything about this other then people are out protesting for some reason...and I do not care enough to care. But no I do not think it will accomplish much of anything. My wife shared that she heard people were quitting their jobs to go protest, crazy. Didn't they used to do a bunch of this type of stuff in the 60's?

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Oct 2011 08:31 PM
    They used to spit on soldiers in the 60's, too... Guess what they're doing in Boston! Spitting on Coasties... well at least one. I still find it dispicable.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    17 Oct 2011 10:54 PM
    Yes indeed, that is extremely dispicable and should be punishable with deportation to another country without the freedom to return.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    massagegirl128

--
    23 Oct 2011 09:27 AM
    I don't get why these protesters aren't in DC protesting. That is where the regulations are made that allow these loopholes for banks to get richer and richer. Also, our government bailed them out! I have no problem with rich people. I do have a problem with the tax laws. I like to earn my money. Many people in our countrygovernment feel they are entitled to things other people have without earning it. A lot of these people are college students too who think since they have a degree they should come right out of school making a ton of money with no experience. Those people are delusional. You usually start at the bottom degree or no degree, and besides it builds character.
    massagegirl128

--
    23 Oct 2011 09:33 AM
    Not sure how the word countrygovernment got in there but I was typing on my phone LOL. Oh and I also think that this protesting is a watse of time, it will not solve anything. If those people want to fix something they should try voting for a change.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    23 Oct 2011 12:10 PM
    Three words: Campaign Finance Reform.
    On that topic, I pretty much agree with the sane non-hippy element of OWS.
    As far as everything else, well...they spit on a Coastie and just passing the buck by saying "oh they weren't with us, WE would never do that" doesn't cut the mustard. The acts of one or two individuals reflect on the whole. If they don't police their own and keep the riff raff out, then it's on them.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Oct 2011 07:14 PM
    If those people want to fix something they should try voting for a change.

I agree. It's the BEST way to change the things we don't like. People can protest all they want it doesn't change a thing, it just garners attention. If the protesters want to inspire change then they'll put down their signs, do a little research and vote accordingly. Tired of the same ol' same 'ol? Vote for the other guy/gal.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    24 Oct 2011 08:20 PM
    I definitely agree with Campaign Finance Reform.

As for the Occupy Wall Street movement, I just don't really get a strong sense that they are striving for any one thing. It's like "We want change... not sure what, but we want it." It's like they are protesting for the sake of protesting. Or pretty close to it.
    Iceman1978

--
    24 Oct 2011 09:40 PM
    There are legitimate reasons to be upset with the financial sector. You had investors who bundled subprime mortgages and then turned around and sold them to banks such as Wachovia. (Saturday Night Live did a great skit on that one) Also I think it was long overdue that the credit card companies be reigned in when it came to hiking people's interest rates for no reason. I get that people are angry at Bank of America, but if they're that upset why not leave them? I closed my account with them ten years ago and have no regrets. Credit unions are the way to go.

But these people don't seem to have a message other than anger. What exactly do they want? Do they have concrete ideas on how to change the ways in which Wall St and the financial industry are regulated? Are they demanding a Congressional investigation into the corrupt activities and demanding that some people have an extended stay at Uncle Sam's B&B? So far the only thing I've heard them demanding is that corporations not be allowed to give unlimited campaign money, which I completely agree with.

Any sympathy I had for them went out the window though after what happened in Boston.

Seriously? What did the Coast Guard ever do to you? I thought they were angry at Wall St.
    Rustylark

--
    15 Dec 2011 04:23 PM
    I've always quoted my father...."If you don't vote, don't complain."

That said, something must be done about the inequity regarding taxes. This may not cause immediate change but it at least makes it a daily conversation....thus gives me hope.
    Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. Adlai E. Stevenson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    26 Dec 2011 05:46 PM
    Thing is, the top earning 1% pay over 70% of taxes already. They simply pay less of one type than another. So there isn't a disparity in the classes, since that's just silly class warfare. I do see an issue with those who got rich illegitimately or screwed others over - ie BoA etc. That I agree with in the occupy movement, but its drowned out by the cries of "we aren't given enough money so we hate you", along with the violence and other crimes.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    30 Dec 2011 09:27 AM
    Some good ideals, but an overall bad approach towards getting them.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    01 Jan 2012 09:09 PM
    all I can say is that I'm glad that they are now out of the mainstream media's spotlight and are petering out. I think when the tv cameras turned away from them and they get kicked out of everywhere they force their way into, they lost a ton of steam. Good riddance I say.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    02 Jan 2012 07:52 AM
    looked to me like a lot of the media momentum they got was focused around their defiance of lawful eviction from privately owned public spaces. Took the focus away from the message (some of which was good, I must admit) and put it on "Protesters vs. Police." That may have garnered the sympathy of some bleeding hearts who think all cops are jerks with badges, but I think most of America thought this was pretty pitiful. I certainly was one of them.
    But what really made me realize how full of it these people are is when they decided to try and shut down our ports. Real bright idea, guys...make it so that some REAL blue collar working men/women (unlike 99% of the the occupiers) can't go to work and earn a paycheck so that you can make a statement and become felons. Classy.
    Iceman1978

--
    06 Jan 2012 03:06 PM
    There are ways for people to get their point across without resorting to these kinds of tactics. Even in circumstances in which they would have a lot of people agreeing with them, when people act this way their message loses credibility among the general public. In many ways we have done this to ourselves by not holding businesses accountable for their practices. Some of the big box retailers (I won't name names) were scheduling employees to come in at Midnight on Black Friday, which means they had to spend most of the afternoon sleeping, which means they had less time to spend with their families. Some people, such as myself, find this immoral. But if consumers were really outraged at this type of behavior then it's simple..don't shop there. When enough people take it upon themselves to make a statement they're going to get the message, but instead it was the exact opposite.

Not only were the stores packed but people were trampling over each other and even going so far as to use pepper spray near the sale items and firearms in the parking lot. We've come a long way from when Christmas was about the smell of cinnamon, pine and spending time with family to the smell of gunpowder, cayenne and trampling over one another to save a few bucks. It's very telling as to how greedy and self-centered some people in our society have become. A friend of mine used to work delivering pizzas when he was in college and he said you meet some interesting people along the way, and there was one thing he said that I found very interesting. Everyone knew which households were bad at tipping in a given area, but there was always one constant about a particular group who always tipped well. He knew that if he saw a military decal on the car sitting in the driveway that there would be a good tip. Didn't matter if the people lived in a mansion or in squalor, if they were current or retired military they always tipped.

Now there was a time when people were required to serve in the armed forces. Some people would say this was a good thing, some would say bad, I would fall somewhere in the middle. But I do believe that requiring service meant that young people were instilled with a sense of patriotism and an acknowledgement that there was more to this world than just themselves. As I was in the grocery store the other day I'm overhearing an argument between a teenager and their parents. The kid was angry because mom and dad wouldn't shell out $500 for him to get the latest cell phone, and I thought to myself, this kids parents should tell him if he wants the phone so bad, then perform 500 hours of service with say..Habitat for Humanity, let him see that there are people who really are struggling and that there are things more important than getting the next gadget to impress people. Service to ones country, whether it be in the armed forces or performing duties in civilian work, is no longer required, but perhaps it should be?

http://www.rangerup.com/45hoodie.html

The link posted above is to an article called "The 0.45% Hoodie" and it's very well written. It sums up a lot of what I'm trying to say.

For all the talk coming from the occupy movement about greed at the top, I could just as easily say that greed crosses over all socio-economic groups. Some of the same people who will lash out at bankers and stock brokers will not even bother to think twice when they give their business to companies that have reputations of underpaying their employees and resorting to the use of sweat shop labor in China to keep prices low.

To the occupy movement I would say that greed works in both directions. At some point you've got to ask yourself, do I really need this? Do I really need to continue filling up my house with cheaply made consumer goods, spending money I don't have, to get things I don't need, for the purpose of impressing people that, in the grand scheme of things, I don't really care about anyway?

Sorry to go on and on, but it's a big pet peeve of mine to see people who don't appreciate what they have.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Jan 2012 05:16 PM
    +1 Iceman

I am particularly fond of your last two paragraphs.
    Iceman1978

--
    07 Jan 2012 08:45 AM
    Thanks Gears
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    13 Jan 2012 04:10 PM

Posted By Old Guard2 on 17 Oct 2011 09:31 PM
    They used to spit on soldiers in the 60's, too... Guess what they're doing in Boston! Spitting on Coasties... well at least one. I still find it dispicable.

that only happened once and it was unclear if that was actually one of the protestors (it was positively not an official organizer or staff member of the event). So I don't think that is a fair portrayal of the millions of people who have participated over the last few months. And I know several people who support the movement including some active duty military members. So the movement is by no means anti-military.
    But that said. I don't agree with them 100%. I am very against the government using tax dollars to bail out private corporations (I don't care what the reasoning is, it should never be done). And multi-billion dollar companies should not be exempt from paying millions in owed taxes when the IRS will hound me up the butt for being 3 dollars off one year. But some of their other more liberal viewpoints I don't agree with.
    Mad_Miller20

--
    24 Jan 2012 03:23 PM
    A lot of grassroots movements have gone global in the past. I just wish that they had a set agenda which it doesn't appear that they do. The issues with crimes like rape, drug use, and assault are despicable as well. I know, I know this all happened in the 60s too but, it is extremely unorganized and hasn't gained any ground with the media as far as support so, although it has lasted a long time, I don't foresee them making any changes.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    24 Jan 2012 03:32 PM
    They have a general assembly who recently decided to freeze spending. I think they're slightly more organized than they want us (or much of the occupiers) to know. That said, organization does not necessarily mean coherence.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    22 May 2012 04:53 AM
    I personaly dont think it's accomplishing anything. At this point (In Raleigh, NC anyway) The protesters have simply set up what we called 'tent city' since people just started to ignore them completely, but they invested too much effort into the protest so they felt the couldnt go home... assuming they had one in the first place. I'm not saying the economy doesnt suck, it does. Its one of the reasons I joined the military. But unless something massive happens then nobody's really going to care.
    Honestly, I think the people who make the most impact on things like this are comedians. People listen to entertainers like John Stewart and Lewis Black because they tell you the truth about what's going on with a sheen of humor over it. I've heard more valid points about what's going on in the world on The Daily Show, than I ever did on FOX or CNN.
    Bottom line, the Occupy (insert city/street here) People need to get organized and really do something impactful, or they're going to fade by the wayside like the homeless bumms they're camping next to.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement