Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Whiskey 185 Families (10/18 Boot Camp Start Date)
Last Post 06 Dec 2011 11:23 AM by mariposa32. 46 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
SCCoastieMom

--
24 Oct 2011 11:01 AM
    Thought it'd be nice to start a thread to connect with those of you who have a loved one in my son's recruit class. I could use the support!
    CoastieFamily

--
    24 Oct 2011 11:24 AM
    I am right here with you. My son left from San Antonio, Texas on October 18th. I can't help but worry. At least I know you are on board and have someone to console with.
    SCCoastieMom

--
    24 Oct 2011 12:15 PM
    Very nice to connect with you. We are from Columbia, SC. I read everything I could get my hands on before he left and I still feel like there is so much I don't know. Looking foward to sharing.
    wicoastiemom

--
    24 Oct 2011 12:26 PM
    Hi, I'm kinda new here too. My son left on the 18th from Wisconsin. Trying to learn as much as possible about the CG and boot camp.
    CoastieFamily

--
    24 Oct 2011 12:34 PM
    I have a son-in-law in the USCG stationed in Kenosha Wisconsin. My son just left from Texas. Big difference in weather.
    SCCoastieMom

--
    24 Oct 2011 12:44 PM
    wicoastiemom, we'll figure all this out together!

CoastieFamily, so you do have some knowledge with another Coastie in the family. :-) You're right, that is a big difference. I'm anxious to see where my son will be stationed.

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Oct 2011 01:20 PM
    I live in Beloit, Wisconsin now and moved here a year ago from Ft Worth, Texas. My Coastie child is in Boston, Mass and my Coastie ex is in Texas City, TX.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    GoldenThreads

--
    24 Oct 2011 01:23 PM
    My young fella is a roomie from FL. Has anyone got the post card form letter that is sent when they check in saying they got there ok?
    SCCoastieMom

--
    24 Oct 2011 01:39 PM
    I got a phone call from my son when he got to the USO in Philly on the 18th. I haven't received anything in the mail but my son's recruiter said he wouldn't be able to write until the first Sunday which was yesterday. I just sent a letter off to the address provided by Old Guard2 who is a wealth of knowledge and a comfort. :-)
    CoastieFamily

--
    24 Oct 2011 02:05 PM
    We were stationed in Boston, my husband was on the Seneca. Loved Boston, lived in Coast Guard housing in North Beverly area.
    timengle

--
    24 Oct 2011 03:04 PM
    My son left from California. Very much looking forward to that first letter. I understand they have a Facebook page up, but I am having trouble locating it. If anyone has the info, could you post, or send me the link?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Oct 2011 03:28 PM
    CoastieFamily, I saw you mentioned that on another thread. My son loves the Seneca. He lives on the ship or at his girlfriend's apartment over by Fenway. No married housing for them just yet.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    SCCoastieMom

--
    24 Oct 2011 07:13 PM
    I received my "form" letter in today's mail. Lots of basic information but I was excited just to see my son's handwriting on the envelope. :-)
    karensaxon

--
    24 Oct 2011 08:13 PM
    Here are the facebook links. They are all closed groups, you have to be invited. Mom's page http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/1...47548539/. Whiskey 185 http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/1...45846054/. Family and friends http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/U...ndfamily/. It's good to see you all on this page. I hope these links help!
    timengle

--
    24 Oct 2011 08:13 PM
    Here are links to 2 facebook sites for whiskey 185.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/142223745846054/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/USCGParentsandfamily#!/groups/USCGParentsandfamily/

CoastieFamily

--
    24 Oct 2011 08:41 PM
    karensaxon and timengle thank you for the facebook links, every little thing helps.
    CoastieFamily

--
    24 Oct 2011 08:44 PM
    Thank you for starting this thread
    Posted By SCCoastieMom on 24 Oct 2011 12:01 PM
    Thought it'd be nice to start a thread to connect with those of you who have a loved one in my son's recruit class. I could use the support!

SCCoastieMom

--
    25 Oct 2011 08:28 AM
    I know I'm looking WAY ahead but I'm a little confused about the leave after boot camp. I know my son will get five days but if I'm thinking correctly it will really only mean three days with us because two of those five he'll be traveling. If he graduates on time on December 9th and his leave starts December 10th, then he'll fly home on the 10th, be home the 11, 12 and 13th, and will have to fly back to Cape May on the 14th to leave for his duty station on the 15th. Is that right?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Oct 2011 08:44 AM
    He graduates on the 9th, he can fly home on the 9th. There is no delay in leaving Cape May... as a matter of fact most new Coasties can't get out of there fast enough. So travel home on the 9th. Then there is no need to ever go back to Cape May again unless they chose to or are assigned there. He can leave from home to his new duty station. Depending upon where the station is from Cape May, if he is driving, he will be given a travel day for every 350 miles. So if he is going to Washington state he will get I think it is 7 days additional time. If he is flying, then he is expected to report on that first day he is no longer on leave (Thursday). Colin received no travel time, Boston was under the 350 miles from Cape May. I drove him. He reported to the ship on Thursday. So Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed leave, all spent at my mom & dad's house, then reported in on Thursday to his ship. I spent Wednesday & Thursday nights in Boston, drove home to mom & dad's on Friday, flew back to Texas on Saturday.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    SCCoastieMom

--
    25 Oct 2011 08:55 AM
    Thank you! For some reason, I was under the impression that he had to leave for his duty station from Cape May. That makes me feel a little better. I want all the time I can get!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Oct 2011 09:15 AM
    Nope, once they are dismissed from graduation they are free to leave and never return. Colin's graduation from boot was Jim's first trip back to Cape May in 24 years. It was funny because as we were walking around I asked him "Where is the parade ground?" He said "How do I know? It's been 24 years since I've been here, who remembers............. that way." And he pointed towards the parade ground. He was trying to act all non-chalant about it but even after 24 years I think he could still smell the barracks in his head! LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    SCCoastieMom

--
    25 Oct 2011 09:19 AM
    :-) I'm sure their time there is something they NEVER forget!
    retrocouple

--
    25 Oct 2011 10:09 AM
    So happy to have found this page. My son, Justin, left October 18 and is in Whiskey 185. Got the form letter yesterday, excited just to see his handwritting. Miss him sooooo much!
    SCCoastieMom

--
    25 Oct 2011 10:25 AM
    retrocouple, I know exactly what you mean. My daughter got the letter our of the mailbox last night and came waving it saying "This is Braden's handwriting!" I knew it was the form letter but it still filled my eyes with tears. It's the little things :-)
    jvauto

--
    26 Oct 2011 06:50 PM
    Thank you coastie mom for starting the thread !!!MARIPOSA 32 [MOM and Jvauto [dad] !!Our son left on the 18th and its tough not getting a phone call at least !!! We did receive the letter . We are from CORAL SPRINGS FLA
    SCCoastieMom

--
    26 Oct 2011 11:12 PM
    Good to connect with you Mariposa 32 and Jvauto!
    mariposa32

--
    27 Oct 2011 10:15 AM
    I felt the same way, just seeing his handwriting brought many tears to me eyes
    uscgwife85

--
    28 Oct 2011 08:53 PM
    my husband left from nashville on the 18th as well.we are expecting a bay girl anyday now. i was excited as well to receive my spouse survival booklet in the mail with his handwriting on the envelope, but i still havent received a personal letter yet, guess i need to give him more time. i hope he gets to write me back before i have the baby since i wrote him four letters already =~0
    retrocouple

--
    30 Oct 2011 01:50 PM
    Sure hope we hear from our son, Justin, coming into the third week, so anxious. Just want to know he is doing good! Counting the days. Has anyone heard from W-185?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Oct 2011 05:05 PM
    I know this sounds impossible to believe but... no news is really good news. Some news isn't necessarily bad but if you aren't hearing anything, he is just trucking right along and doing marvelous. Keep writing to him, he might not have much time to write but he has all the time in the world to hear his name yelled out during mail call. Even if he doesn't have time to read it all, just to hear his name and know there is someone thinking about that, ahhhhh, relief.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement