Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
X-ray 185 - shipped on October 24, 2011
Last Post 08 Dec 2011 08:10 AM by CajunCoastiePop. 63 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>
Author Messages
RobinWatson

--
10 Nov 2011 08:37 AM
Well what did everyone think of the weekly journal?
tchef

--
10 Nov 2011 08:37 AM
Weekly journal was a very interesting read. Really helped bring me up to speed on what they are doing.
RobinWatson

--
10 Nov 2011 09:05 AM
I agree, it let me get a look into what they are going through.
tx2stay@yahoo.com

--
10 Nov 2011 10:36 AM

Posted By RobinWatson on 10 Nov 2011 09:37 AM
Well what did everyone think of the weekly journal?

Made me feel closer yet so far away, but really enjoyed reading, it lets me know what they are going through. Like I said on the facebook page, does anyone know who writes these journals ? Do they pick a recruit out of the company and that's their job or how does that work?
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
10 Nov 2011 11:13 AM
Someone either volunteers or someone is volun-told it is their job. It is written by a recruit in that particular company. It is considered a collateral duty and yes, a job of sorts.
Sector NY, Staten Island
tx2stay@yahoo.com

--
10 Nov 2011 01:06 PM
TY OldGuard 2 I was just curious, didn't think it was son lol, love the volun-told jobs, still get them in the real world too. Whoever wrote them, they are doing a great job.
ser4th

--
10 Nov 2011 02:31 PM
My Stepdaughter is in Xray 185 and we finally got our first letter yesterday and can't wait to hear more.
tx2stay@yahoo.com

--
10 Nov 2011 06:52 PM
glad to hear, got second one today but my son sent his son his first one today. He can't even talk.lol guess something to save for him in his baby book Wish Joshua was more of a letter writer because he doesn't reveal too much of anything, like if the foods good, if he met any buddies, shoot not even how the weather is just he's doing ok and that he loves us more. Guess that's really all I need to know He's definitely sounding better. Did she let you know anything? I wanted to know how he did on the swim test, classes, and cycling. Bet, after graduation, he'll want to have one of our late midnight talks that last for hours
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
10 Nov 2011 07:30 PM
One mom had a suggestion a while back... Write a letter that is all questions. Leave an area open for answers. Then he can return that to you. It gives you the opportunity to ask questions and he can send you the info you want in a nice letter.
Sector NY, Staten Island
tx2stay@yahoo.com

--
11 Nov 2011 12:49 PM
That's an excellent idea I'll Work on it tonight. So I can get it out by tommarow mail, TY Then he won't have to think what to write and and it won't take him as long A fill-in blank letter. He can even add anything else at the bottom and send it back home

And I want to say Thank you To all the veterans. We are free because of your sacrifices. Happy Veterans Day!!
ser4th

--
11 Nov 2011 03:20 PM
My daughter hasn't said too much in her letters about their tests but she did say that the eggs suck I'm not sure how much they are allowed to tell us about what they are doing. I want to know everything but understand if they can't.
RobinWatson

--
11 Nov 2011 03:46 PM
Lol..ser4th...my son said the food is great...I think that is so funny, when he was home he hated certain things, I bet he will eat whatever they put in front of him after the PT they do. Love his letters though, never get tired of hearing I Love You or I Miss You.

Happy Veterans Day everyone!!
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
11 Nov 2011 07:12 PM
They can pretty much tell you anything they like... the time constraint is what keeps them from telling you more. But that's ok, trust me the stories are much better in person shared over a big family dinner.
Sector NY, Staten Island
shanarenae

--
11 Nov 2011 10:34 PM
My lovely boyfriend shipped out then. I recieved 2 letters as of yesterday and I was super pumped!!! I gotta question on their address is it Monroe ave or is it Munro Ave. my boyfriend loves to confuse me with that one lol.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
12 Nov 2011 09:55 AM
It Munro. It is after Signalman Douglas Munro, the only US Coast Guardsman to be awarded the Medal of Honor. So while Monroe would seem correct, it is not. It is in effect Munro.

Welcome aboard. Don't let that tricky Coastie fool you with anything... you ask us, we'll let you know. LOL
Sector NY, Staten Island
shanarenae

--
13 Nov 2011 02:42 PM
Thank you so much!! he had monroe on the first one but the second one had it corret. will that effect the way t gets to him? will he not recieve that letter bc it has monroe on it?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
13 Nov 2011 06:40 PM
No, it will be fine. He might get razzed a bit about it being misspelled but it will still get delivered. No worries.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Tet

--
13 Nov 2011 08:36 PM
I plan to attend the graduation on Dec 16, and spend the rest of that day in town cape may before flying back home on the 17th. But what if my son's flight out to his duty station is later on the 16th? I much prefer to be on the same plane he'd be on going home on 5 days leave. What should I do? Can recruits negotitate with detailers as far as flight dates and airline? Will they be reimbursed for the air fare if they choose to arrange their own transportation from cape may to hometown and finally to the location of their cutter homeport?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
14 Nov 2011 12:14 PM
The detailer has nothing to do with flight arrangements. The detailer simply tells the Coastie "You are being assigned to ______." The conversation pretty much wraps up there for the detailer. As far as hanging around... I would speak to your Coastie about that. Most of them want to beat feet out of there. They have been there for 8 weeks of forced fun and just want to sleep in their own beds, take a shower, see family & friends... hanging out for a day might not sound like an ideal situation. You can always get there a day early and do some sight seeing prior to graduation.

Airfare and how it is paid gets tricky. The CG does not pay for him to go home, as far as they are concerned they are at home in Cape May. That is the first duty assignment for a Coastie, the CG already picked up the tab from home to boot. They pay to get them to their next assignment. If "home" happens to be on the way to that duty station, then it can be greatly discounted to get home. If "home" is way out of the way, they are 100% on their own like any other person going home for vacation. This will all be explained in great detail to your son. But I would really double check that hanging around Cape May for a day. Not to mention in December the weather can turn on a dime. So you might stay Friday, attempt to fly out on Saturday and not leave until Monday! So really think about that staying after graduation.

My son shipped from Texas. My family lives in NJ, so we just stayed there because there was no family and very few friends in Texas that Colin cared about. He was assigned to Boston. Had he wanted to come home to Texas, he would have had to pay for the entire bill. Cape May to NJ... Texas is not on the way there. Since we simply drove from NJ to Boston, they paid him mileage for the drive. Since it was only about 325 miles, he didn't make very much money at all.
Sector NY, Staten Island
shanarenae

--
14 Nov 2011 12:59 PM
Will they have to do extra P.T. if its spelled wrong or push up or something for me not spelling the address right? I sent him like 7 letters and I feel really bad now. But its his fault thats what he said on his first letter and i wrote plenty in between and I didnt get another letter till a week later. I would feel really bad lol
tx2stay@yahoo.com

--
15 Nov 2011 09:32 AM
Journals posted. Up and downs, just like push ups and us.
tx2stay@yahoo.com

--
15 Nov 2011 09:32 AM
Journals posted. Up and downs, just like push ups and us.
laurahut77

--
16 Nov 2011 01:56 PM
Hey X-ray 185 Family and Freinds attending graduation on December 16th. Don't forget to sign up to come to the Meet N'Greet the night before graduation around 7:00pm -11:00pm at Cabanas Beach Bar and Grill in Cape May, NJ. It is scheduled for 7:00pm as to not interfere with dinner on base. If you will be late getting to town for the dinner plan to come abd stop by. Very informal. You can order supper their if you want to.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.ph...2632299534
SCCoastieMom

--
19 Nov 2011 02:06 PM
Hello everyone. My son just called to say he'd been reverted a week. He'll be in X-RAY now.
tx2stay@yahoo.com

--
19 Nov 2011 08:23 PM

Posted By SCCoastieMom on 19 Nov 2011 03:06 PM
Hello everyone. My son just called to say he'd been reverted a week. He'll be in X-RAY now.

Welcome to our company and family. Sorry that he has a little extra time especially to see you but it will all work out. Check the FB page especially tomarrow because Off base run pictures will be posted also doc. on Meet and greet and recruit and families info. Great group. But then again I have learned the whole USCG family is a special one to be part of
RobinWatson

--
19 Nov 2011 10:04 PM
Welcome SCCoastieMom,
Nice to meet you, so to speak..lol..make sure to look on Facebook, alot of us are on there and it's a great group of people.
SCCoastieMom

--
21 Nov 2011 10:18 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I'm sad that he'll be there longer, but know he's learned something he'll never forget again. :-)
wicoastiemom

--
21 Nov 2011 02:07 PM
SCCoastie Mom - sorry to hear your son was reverted. My son said he had the rack right next to him and said he was a real cool guy.
Tet

--
21 Nov 2011 10:42 PM
We're coming from hawaii and interested with attending the meet 'n greet event on dec 15th. However, may not be able to make it because we're meeting up with our Maryland friends enroute and they're also traveling with us to the graduation ... so other plans might be different and conflicting.
shanarenae

--
01 Dec 2011 01:26 AM
i know they are suposed to get paid on the 1st and the 15th. right? what if they didnt get piad on one of those days and he was suposed to what do i need to do?
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement