Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Coast Guard Alaska Premier!
Last Post 17 Sep 2012 09:20 AM by DTBM2. 44 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
iking3i

--
02 Nov 2011 11:17 AM
    Hey guys, I was just looking through weather.com, and i happen to see a banner for a new Coast Guard Series premiering Nov 9th at 9pm on the weather channel! Ive provided a link on the bottom. It looks like they are following our Kodiak team. What an honor it is, and i look forward to watching.. Everyone set thier DVR's!

http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/coast-guard-alaska?role=
    Evan

--
    02 Nov 2011 01:49 PM
    I saw that on the Weather Channel website the other day and almost posted it up here. Hopefully it'll be an accurate, compelling view of the USCG! Unfortunately I don't have a TV, so here's to hoping it'll be online. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    tallmans mom

--
    10 Nov 2011 08:21 AM
    Anyone watch the premier? DVR'd it and stayed up late to watch it with Cy. I thought it was pretty good. I hope they look at different aspects, not just the AST ratings there. Scenery was beautiful.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Nov 2011 08:44 AM
    I have it recorded on the DVR and we'll watch it tonight. My son watched it and he had an opinion but I'll keep that reserved until I watch it myself. My mom thought it was a bit boring.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    10 Nov 2011 08:13 PM
    I miss everything. I hear 9/8C and I turn on the tv at 850 to see I missed the episode. Darn Central time!!!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Nov 2011 05:17 AM
    I'm sure it will be repeated... it was on again at 11 and at 2. I recorded the 11 o'clock episode. That is central time... so I'll check to see if it is on again. It will be on every week, this was just episode one.

As suspected I drove poor Scott crazy... Pause - "see that building, do you know what it is?" "non" "well, that's the Administration BUilding and if you could look right over here (me jumping up and running across living room pointing at a spot away from the screen) that's exactly where our house was!" watch, watch, watch Pause - "do you know what that building is?" "no" "that used to be the package store, not sure if it still is or not but if you went in this door over here, that was the door to the MSD where Jimmy worked..." Scott lived in Alaska... but not Kodiak. Why did I keep asking him if he knew the buildings, of course he didn't! Colin even told Scott "I feel you pain buddy, she does this all the time with any show!" LOL I can't help it i know places and I get excited to see them again. HAHAHAHAHA
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    11 Nov 2011 07:42 PM
    We at COMMSTA call it "The Airdale show". That is all I will share of our opinion.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    13 Nov 2011 05:30 PM
    My 2-cents...

I think once again it portrays a "one side" vision of the Coast Guard. There is a lot more to the CG then just Air Stations. Yes, The Guardian was a great movie and did a lot great things for the Coast Guard but everyone see's the CG in only this way. Now, I know SAR is a huge part of what the CG does but with that being said why cant they film the 47's out in Cape Disappointment or any other heavy weather station? They can even show the world what the guys are going through at the NMLB school. With that being said, I enjoyed it, with my Airman Program coming up I really look forward to being apart of it all and those men and women up there in Kodiak go through a lot but I truly don't believe the CG is doing a "great" job on showing the world what we do.

.......and my rant is done.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    13 Nov 2011 06:56 PM
    Why don't they show ITs giving it all to help people change extensions , move offices, and install printers. The drama would be when you're transferring a phone and it's programmed for a 2616 handset and you only have a 3904 handset and they need to make phone calls!!! Oh the drama.... But yeah in all seriousness it would be nice to have "the other side" of the CG with stations, cutters, msst, etc.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    13 Nov 2011 07:35 PM
    Hey, the Commsta could be fun. Who doesn't want to listen to hours of static? I mean really? It would be great TV!

OK, in all seriousness, I do think watching the ETs climb the towers would be kinda cool. But the part that gets me most is that the helo and c-130 hangers in Kodiak are right next to the cutters. It's not like they can miss the 3 big boats we have. And they'd only have to walk 50 feet. I just don't get it.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    13 Nov 2011 08:17 PM
    We have only seen the first show, it is possible that future shows will add more of the CG into them. Got to build the ratings or the show goes away.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Nov 2011 11:53 AM
    I believe I read that it is focused on rescues and the AST's and life in Alaska for them. I do agree that seeing other rates in action would be nice. However, I wasn't on the production staff, who knows what the next episodes will contain. I'll continue to watch regardless... I just love seeing home and looking for someone I might know.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    mingotwist

--
    14 Nov 2011 06:59 PM
    I caught the episode when it aired! I'm sorry, I completely forgot to keep an eye out for mustaches though.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    15 Dec 2011 11:33 AM
    Update for the show, they are confirmed for two more seasons. Season 2 will have 5 episodes, season 3 will have 8.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...e-1.991595
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Landstander

--
    17 Dec 2011 02:49 PM
    I watch it when I can, I think the other show they had after Katrina was little better. I would like to see a show that does not only focus on Alaska and the life saving mission, something that shows the LE side and what not.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    05 Jan 2012 10:22 PM
    I was pretty bummed when they only show our part for only 20 secs. I wish they also show the other part of the CG not just the aviations
    Iceman1978

--
    06 Jan 2012 03:13 PM
    Great show!

My work schedule is hectic but I set it to record so I can watch it later. I wish they would have one season in Alaska, then maybe the next on the West Coast, one in the East Coast, etc.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    03 Feb 2012 10:50 PM
    I just got word from my son.. he said the film crew for Coast Guard Alaska will be on his cutter, the Alex Haley, for the next two weeks!! I guess they listened when everyone complained that all they filmed was air station stuff. I heard even the Commandant said something!
    Proud Coastie Mom
    cgust

--
    08 Mar 2012 08:09 AM
    My son is also aboard the Alex Haley. It's awesome that they are getting recognition as well. Any word on when their episode will air? We are from a small town in Michigan and everyone is looking forward to the episode!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Mar 2012 12:24 PM
    I think they should branch out of Alaska as well. The busiest SAR stations are not in Alaska at all, but in Florida. Maybe they could feature a new part of the country every episode or two. Watching Airmen fail their physical fitness tests is entertaining for an episode or two, but after that it gets boring.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    10 Mar 2012 04:25 PM
    cgust, the next season of CG Alaska is supposed to start sometime in April. Not sure what day. I do know that they are devoting an entire 1 hr. show to the Alex Haley. I will post when I know more.

Cooch, that would be cool to see different parts of the country, but then they wouldn't be able to call it Coast Guard Alaska! No, really, it would be neat to see stuff from around the world, not just Alaska and air rescues.
    Proud Coastie Mom
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    11 Mar 2012 02:00 AM
    They came to Commsta at one point. Supposedly. I never saw them.

We definitely got filmed by Deadliest Catch though. Looking forward to that!!
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    11 Mar 2012 09:48 AM
    they filmed inside the commsta?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    11 Mar 2012 09:58 AM
    Posted By E on 11 Mar 2012 10:48 AM
    they filmed inside the commsta?

Supposedly they did for CG Alaska.  Deadliest Catch just filmed a case that my section had (so some of our voices may end up on TV - including yours truly).  Sorry, I worded that weird.  I've been staying up photographing the Northern Lights. Don't hate.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Mar 2012 08:14 PM
    Oh I miss seeing those!!!! I never saw them the entire time we were in Kodiak. But when we were in Valdez I saw tham all the time. I remember the first time, I went to bed, turned out the light and thought "Who has their porch light on so late?" Then I remembered housing backs up to Mineral Creek and there isn't a darn thing behind there! I flung open the blinds and then flew down the stairs and outside just in total AWE!!!! They were so incredibly gorgeous!

There was one night I was sitting on my neighbor's stoop and we were watching the lights. Beautiful as always. But green, as almost always. We had many nights in a row of green lights. Mary & I were chatting I looked up and said "OK, we are impressed, you can make green lights. But come on! How about something different to jazz it up a bit?" Mary just laughed at me and we kept on talking. All of sudden the green split a bit and a hole opened up and this incredibly amazing purple just shot right up the middle. We were absolutely speechless! We just sat there, 2 in the morning, freezing cold, staring at this incredible almost tubular shape purple light just shooting out of the middle of all of this green. I think we stopped breathing for a minute. When the purple faded so did the green. We both just sort of whispered "thank you" and we went inside our houses. I don't think I'll ever see anything so mysterious as the Northern Lights (even though I know what causes it).
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    11 Mar 2012 08:36 PM
    They need to do an ESD special. We'll start off with some password resets then instructing users on how to contact the CSD..then it will get crazy with a voicemail reset and phone change. I enjoy watching the show and glad that they are including more than the airdales.

I'll have to turn the facebook on to see some northern light pics. You need to join photography-on-the.net it's a really great canon forum. I sadly don't shoot at all and am considering selling all my gear.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Mar 2012 08:41 PM
    E, if you are seriously considering selling some gear... let me know. I'm a Nikon girl myself but I would like to get a set up for Scott and we could do the whole canon versus nikon thing in the house! I think we would have fun with that!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    11 Mar 2012 09:53 PM
    E was kind enough to hook me up at a-school. I get the best night shots with that lens!

The first time I saw the lights here, I was like "Meh." Very underwhelmed.  They were barely there.  But Thursday! HOLY COW.  I think I did a "Double Rainbow Guy". I remember saying "There is a God!"  So beautiful, I actually missed getting the brightest stuff on film because I was just staring.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    12 Mar 2012 08:37 AM
    Cooch, lookie here...

The Weather Channel is excited to announce the upcoming new original docu-series Coast Guard Florida! The new series will premiere in October 2012 and will follow the members of the 7th Coast Guard District area of responsibility from Clearwater, the Keys and Miami/Everglades who are in charge of keeping local ports and waterways safe. And don't forget, Coast Guard Alaska season 2 will air on April 18.

So, there you have it. The new season of CG Alaska will begin on April 18, and they are branching out to other states as well later this year.
    Proud Coastie Mom
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Mar 2012 09:45 AM
    Let's hope they branch out on ratings and jobs as well! I still HATE the Coast Guard ALASKA or FLORIDA or any other particular state. To me it sounds like the CG is a state sanctioned body, not a federal department. US Coast Guard in Alaska or in Florida or in Rhode Island. Just a nit picky thing for me. But I still like the show.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement