Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
What do I need to do?
Last Post 16 Nov 2003 02:30 PM by MrsFS. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Riderx14

--
01 Jul 2003 01:37 AM
    I'm 15 years old, and entering into my sophmore year of high-school. My goal is to go into the Coast Guard Academy. I have a GPA of 90 and I have a ranking of 76 out of 361 people in my class. Im in FFA, Fire Company, and other various charity organizations. I need to now what i need to do to be sucessful in my goal.
    Steve

--
    01 Jul 2003 05:52 PM
    It's been well over twenty years since I was in your shoes so things may have changed a bit, but I have a few things you might consider.

1.  Grades are very important so keep them up.

2.  Study for the college admission's tests.  There are a lot of study guides out there.  Get more than one and start studying them.  The sooner you start the better.  Studying for these tests is a MUST.  It's a good summer project.  A High Score on the College entrance exams was what got me my scholarship.

3.  Don't just apply for the Coast Guard Academy.  Apply for all the military academies and for all the ROTC programs.  If you don't get in to the CG Academy then you have some backup opportunities.

4.  Athletics.  Get fit.  Join a Gym.  Better yet participate in a lot of team sports.

5.  Make some phone calls.  This post is  a good start, but call the Coast Guard Academy.  Have them send you some information.  If you live near the water go down and talk to some local Coast Guard officers.  Get to know them.  Part of the application process involves getting written references.  A reference from a Coast Guard officer would look pretty good.

There are a couple of books you might look at:

1.  Life Inside the Coast Guard Academy
    2.  How to win an ROTC Scholarship.

Go here to find links to them:

Good Luck

Steve

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 7/1/2003 7:00:16 PM GMT

MrsFS

--
    16 Nov 2003 02:30 PM
    I gotta tell you, the CG Academy is the most... MOST difficult school in the entire country, bare none, to gain admission into. On the upside, you don't need a Congressional endorsement like with the other academies, but you do need GREAT grades!! You should apply and repeatedly, if you don't gain admission the first time around. Ross Perot went the the Naval Academy and he had to apply several times. Somewhere I read he said they finally let him in, just so his application didn't cross their desk again. I think he applied three times.

Just keep in mind, that if you didn't get in, you could still go enlisted, CLEP a year or two of school and get your degree while in the CG.. (my husband is very close to completing his) that way. You can always go the OCS option if you keep your marks in the CG up.

Also, I gotta tell you, when I was 16 I was in a two year college taking courses, just for the info. I didn't hurt my SAT scores a bit, and as long as they school saw the money, they didn't care if I was in the class or not. I left high school two years early. WHile I would not reccomend that, hindsight and all, it won't hurt for you all to audit a summer course or two, just for the knowledge. You can also get free tutoring in some colleges if you have a problem. I would suggest maybe one course this summer... in a subject you find easy and enjoy.

PM me, if you need any assistance..
    My Prayer...

Thank you to the powers that be for keeping my husband in the SE US.  Please God watch over him, as after 16 years u/w land is a strange thing to him...
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement