Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Portland maine
Last Post 12 Dec 2011 01:42 PM by VicNaz1. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Gjsmith18

--
21 Nov 2011 10:55 PM
    My husband is in the USCG. We have relocated to Portland Maine. He is enjoying his new job but the children and I have not met anyone here! Any advice or any one know of anyone we can connect with through the Uscg? We are also newly weds. I haven't received any contacts or information on being a military spouse but when I look online I see people posting things about a uscg spouse handbook and sea legs also work life. How do I obtain these and what are they? 

We are really lonely and this move has been hard! Not one play date or even one social in 3 months!!! Im my children's only friend not one child in our neighborhood! I look forward to getting responses on here!

Is anyone else in Portland?? We are extremely lonely here!! 

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Nov 2011 05:29 AM
    Does the unit have an ombudsman? That would be your first stop. Is your husband on a ship or at a station? There is no reason you can't host a "Welcome us to the CG party". Have your husband invite some shipmates and their wives over for an impromptu party. I always tried to be the one to welcome people to the community but sometimes you have to reach out to the community and welcome yourself.

You can try some volunteer work. Go to a local church and ask about food bank or something like that. You'll meet people that work there and you can make some friends. I was friends with everyone in housing when we lived in Valdez but I also had a tremendous amount of freinds in the civilian world because of all the activities I was involved in. As for the guides... ask your husband to get them. If he wasn't given those at boot camp, I'm sure he can email one of his CC"s and ask them how he might be able to get a copy for you now.

I'm not blaming you... but don't just sit home, don't isolate yourself anymore than you already feel. Portland is a pretty big city. There has to be a YMCA. You can probably get a membership there and see if they have "Mommy & me" type of playdates. They might not be CG wives but they'll be moms. Any friend is a friend, it doesn't matter if you are Coastie and they are Townie. Go to the library... baby read-along time or story time, again, other moms will be there.

I know it's coming up on the holidays and you are in Maine and it is cold and dark and the snow is going to start blowing... But get out there. See who you cna meet on your own. Have that party... some sandwiches, punch, music... people will come and they'll immediately think "wow, what a warm house with a young couple!" You'll make friends that way, too. When I was a newlywed Coastie wife, I moved to Kodiak Alaska in December!!! We were married Thanksgiving weekend. You want to talk about cold, dark, depressing... we were so poor it was ridiculous! That first Christmas married should have been so happy, oh the tears!!!! I was so sad, so lonely! I got a job right away... I worked at Avis at the airport and I washed cars. I worked all alone. No friends there, only people that wanted their rent car cleaned! No family except this guy that I wasn' even sure I liked! How could he love me dragging me to this God forsaken island in Alaska. Well I got a new job, I met a lot of people, spring rolled around and the sun was shining, I realized that guy in bed with me every night, he was actually ok and I did like him. LOL

I know it isn't easy but put yourself out there. Meet people. You'll find your mood will quickly improve and this won't be the horror story you think it is right now. Don't wait for them to come to you. People have forgotten what the "welcome wagon" is, so you have to just welcome yourself to their neighborhood. Just remember at the next duty station, when that new non-rate and his wife show up and she feels like there are no friends and nowhere to turn... be sure to take over some cookies or lunch or invite her out. Don't let someone else feel so isolated and alone.

Anytime you want to chat... feel free to post here or PM me. I'm always happy to gab.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    12 Dec 2011 01:42 PM
    I'll be up in Portland this weekend (16 - 22 Dec.) visiting relatives. My wife and I live down in the Wash. DC area but get up there a couple of times a year to visit her father, stepmom and sister. How old are your kids?

First up, check out the local sights. The view from Portland Head Lighthouse (which is actually next to Portland in Cape Elizabeth) is fantastic and the park around the lighthouse (Fort Williams Park) is great for hiking. When the snow falls the local families all show up at that park for sledding and fun. Lots of families with kids in that area. http://www.portlandheadlight.com/museum.html

There are some local performance troupes in that area that do local theater and dance which make a good night out if you can get a sitter for the kids. If you have a good car and don't mind the drive, Manchester is only about 70 minutes down the interstate and Boston is another 1/2 hour (or so) past that.

Post here again and eMail me VicNaz1@aol.com if you want more info. and I'll do what I can.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement