Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Has anybody ever been able to keep a horse while enlisted ?
Last Post 07 Dec 2011 12:35 PM by gdeyarmond. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Leah272

--
04 Dec 2011 11:02 PM
    I have a horse & I am going to basic in Feburary ...I am hoping I can find a way to keep her she can be kept in a pasture so it wont be an expensive board. I was just wondering other peoples opinions on this ? or if anybody owns horses ?
    February 14 , 2012 =)
    Leah272

--
    04 Dec 2011 11:03 PM
    P.s I already have boarding arrangements worked out for basic
    February 14 , 2012 =)
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Dec 2011 04:59 AM
    The CG will not pay for transportation & if you get a station like Hawaii or Alaska, the expense is going to be astronomical. If you stay INConus but get someplace like the Seneca out of Boston you will have a hard time finding somewhere nearby to board a horse. I do know people that have done it but they were generally married & had the money to buy property away from base to keep their animals. You also have to consider if you get a cutter who is going to care for your animal while you are underway for a month to 6 months at a time? It will be very difficult at best, if not nearly impossible.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Evan

--
    05 Dec 2011 05:24 AM
    I believe Eglin AFB in FL has stables on base, and I am sure there are other bases that do, too. I doubt the USCG has any base with enough room. Once you are assigned your station, get someone back home to look around for stables or a barn that is nearby. Board it there and maybe even lease it to help cover the expenses of food / board / shoes, etc.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    05 Dec 2011 09:59 AM
    Leah272,

I completely understand your desire to keep your horse; I was exactly the same way when my wife and I opted to relocate at the old age of 19. So I feel compelled to share a little that I learned from that strong desire when I ventured away from home and taking our horses. I am not in the military but did move 2000 miles from my home town, I had all the riding area a young kid with a horse could dream of, I spent every afternoon after school and all day in the summer on horse back out in the wooded mountain trails, taking them swimming in the creeks and rivers, camping over the weekends. He was my best friend, I had owned him for 8 years. Then when I met my future wife in high school we bought her a horse and we spent all of our time with them as well…not to mention that also we spent any and all extra money we had boarding and caring for them when we moved away from home after we married and moved out of mom’s house. It sure was a lot easier to care for them at moms place...hahahaha. What a difference when mom owns the barn and pasture and buys all the feed, a major eye opener paying those bills.

Anyway we were managing living in a one room lake cabin with no heat, 40 minutes out of town on minimum wage with only part-time jobs, the main meals were mac & cheese with kool-aid, the appliances that came with the place broke down monthly which sucked when we splurged and had some milk…lost lots of groceries in that mayhem. Anyway we made a trip to visit her parents that had recently relocated to a hot southern climate here in Dallas Texas. We got better paying full time jobs that vacation week, so we up and decided to move to Dallas. My mom strongly recommended that we sell the horses and leave them there...well that was just not an option for this 19 y/o who knew better, they were going with us period...she tried to advise me...looking back I sure wish I would have listened to her...not only was the cost of everything a lot more, a lot more. There was no where to ride, it is all privately owned fenced in property and a bazillion degrees in the summer. We were flat broke paying for board which was more then our monthly rent we were paying back home for our lake cabin, and now we could no longer ride them the way we enjoyed out in the woods and mountains, the best we could do was around in a muddy pasture, and worse yet they were absolutely miserable. The climate change was terrible for them and looking back it was incredibly selfish of us to do that to them. My horse was my best friend and as a best friend I should have done what was best for him and his buddy, the wife's horse, and left them where they were accustom.

With you relocating after basic training, then relocating again after A-school, and if you stay in more then the minimum 4 years, you will more then likely relocate about every 3 to 4 years...it is not fair to your horse to relocate him/her to who knows where all the time...a very hard lesson for me to learn.

We ended up boarding our horses in a pasture for just over 7 years until I finally donated them to a church riding camp after our second child. We maybe only rode them 5 times during that 7 years, we even tried to travel to the state parks to get some open trails and woods, but it was just so miserably hot, even in the shade, that it was not enjoyable, so they basically became expensive pasture pets. When we had our kids at about the 5 year mark, it became a great chore to go out and feed and water and check up on them, not to mention a major burden financially, since we now had the kids plus board and feed cost for the horses we were not using. I did my horse, my best friend and his buddy, a severe injustice forcing them to move with us...now with all that said, I do have some very good travel memories of moving 2 horses, 2 dogs and 2 cats across the country in a home made horse trailer, a pickup truck with a cab-over camper, with the wife driving the second car and us being completely separated for over 8 hours with no way to communicate with each other, no cell phones way back when, then to top it off the dog destroying the camper door during the few hours we are looking at the Grand Canyon and had to leave her in the camper...not her plan at all to stay in the camper, she went everywhere with us so she was out of the camper running around on our return with a gaping hole in the door.

If I knew what I know now I would have never moved them, I sure wish I had listened to my mom back then.

Anyway not telling you that you cannot do it, I just wanted to share an experience with you in hopes that you might feel it would be better for you, and way better for your horse not to try and keep him/her during your CG adventures and moving abroad.

I wish you all the best and hope everything works out fabulous for you and your horse.

Be safe,
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Leah272

--
    05 Dec 2011 06:03 PM
    Thank you so much for your input everybody
    I have been riding my whole life its my therapy lol . My horse is very young she is 5 years old , she has been moved around she takes to it well , very well tempered horse , calm and pretty much anybody could ride her , It would be very easy for me to lease her out or I read about that military adoption pet program they do horses , If I was to be stationed on a cutter...

and it would be very easy for me to sell her...It would break my heart though , I havent owned her very long. I feel like if I get stationed somewhere in D7 , I can find a stable to board her at . I am single , I have nothing else to pay for , she is not really a very high maintenance horse in fact she doesnt like being in a stall. She would be fine just being rode a few days a week I feel like its possible , I just have to hope for the best as far as being stationed somewhere , If I was to get stationed somewhere far I guess id have to sell her..

she is the best horse I have ever owned and she is young so I am going to try and hold on to her.
    February 14 , 2012 =)
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    05 Dec 2011 07:16 PM
    now what happens if you get put on a cutter and are gone for 3 to 5 months at a time?

just one of those what ifs
    Leah272

--
    05 Dec 2011 07:20 PM
    Lease her or pay for board while im gone
    February 14 , 2012 =)
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Dec 2011 08:10 PM
    If you pretty much had your mind made up regardless of any advice offered, why bother to ask?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    05 Dec 2011 11:02 PM
    Well, if you get stationed in San Diego, I know exactly where you can board her Look me up if that happens.
    Proud Coastie Mom
    Leah272

--
    06 Dec 2011 04:54 PM
    I appreciate that very much =)
    February 14 , 2012 =)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    06 Dec 2011 10:36 PM
    I have two horses right now and am confident it can work. Course, I have a wife to take care of them. If you are put in the seattle area, pm me and my wife has a wealth of information about good boarding facilities and such.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    06 Dec 2011 11:16 PM
    Base pay for E-3 is what, 1750 a month?  What constitutes an inexpensive board?  
    I dated a girl for a while who rode competitively.  Her board was crazy expensive, so I'm not sure what "inexpensive" would mean.  Still sounds like it would chomp into that 1750 though.
    Also, just an aside, don't forget about what's best for your horse.  It sounds like you truly love her, and I get that.  After me and said girlfriend broke up, a couple of the only times she called me was when a horse she rode died.  The bond that's there is probably the strongest a human can have with an animal.  But like kyguy said, don't forget about what's best for her well being.

Best of luck though, hope you can work something out. 
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    07 Dec 2011 10:59 AM
    Board varies wildly all over the US and the numbers depend on as many factors as the pay in the military. Does it have an arena, is the arena covered, does the barn require you to train with their special trainer, cost of hay, how greedy the barn owner is, etc. We can get cheap good quality board in the seattle area for $300 per month. Or if you want to keep your horse in Redmond you're looking at up to $700 per month!! But in areas with QUALITY local hay, it can get much much cheaper. Horsemen and women are a tight knit community, know each other and take care of each other whenever possible. It'll work out, just keep your eyes open for a good barn and make lots of phone calls to find the right fit!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    07 Dec 2011 12:35 PM
    People and horses are always weird to me. I can't imagine owning a pet that is so affectionate and then selling them? You did take the horse in as a friend, I can't see selling it as a good option, but neither is joining the USCG with such a big responsibility and burden of something that depends on you for all of it's care. I would look at having the horse as being like a single parent, it is probably going to be hard to impossible to pull off a USCG tour in that situation without having the most amazing support group (parents, spouse, friends, grandparents or lots of money). I'm not trying to be mean, but those are my 2 cents from an animal lover who had to jump through hoops even with a wife to help out the fur-babies while in the USCG. Good luck and only you know the best decision for the 2 of you.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement