Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
ALFA or ALPHA 186
Last Post 02 Jan 2012 07:21 PM by Old Guard2. 30 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Mare

--
05 Dec 2011 12:58 PM
    My son is in Recruit Company A 186. I have seen it spelled ALFA and ALPHA. Can someone tell me the correct spelling? Thanks so much.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Dec 2011 01:28 PM
    You can simply use A-186. If you want to spell it out Alfa.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Mare

--
    05 Dec 2011 03:24 PM
    Thank you. I have a co-worker who is retired Army and everytime I tell her something that I think is exciting about my son going into the Coast Guard, she has something negative to say. This morning she told me that the Coast Guard spells ALFA wrong! Whatever.
    By the way, Old Guard, even though I just offically joined the forum I have been reading posts for many months and you are always so helpful. Thank you for taking the time to help all us newbies and for never making us feel like we're dummies.
    BillG

--
    06 Dec 2011 12:41 AM
    My son is in A186 Mare. Hoping to hear something this week.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Dec 2011 05:10 AM
    Personally I think the CG spells Alpha wrong, too! LOL And I love the Coast Guard. HAHA But as far as your co-worker, just let her say whatever she wants. She obviously has no clue what our service is about, even if she is retired Army. Most will joke about it, inter-service rivalry fun type of thing, and that can actually be fun for you too once you know a lot about the CG and can fire back. Those that actually bash or are mean... Those are the people that just don't know anything and are clueless to what we do. So let her say what she likes and you keep your enthusiasm. In the grand scheme, she doens't mean all that much.

You're welcome. I like to chat with people about the CG... your co-worker would hate my cubicle, there are Coastie pictures everywhere. HAHA

Welcome aboard by the way. If you need some ammo to finre at your goofy colleague, let us know. Or if you just have a question for yourself.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Mare

--
    06 Dec 2011 06:26 AM
    Thanks, Old Guard.

BillG, where did your son ship out from? My son shipped out of VA. I pray they are all strong and healthy and work together as a team. When my son called from the USO at the Phila. airport, he said they were all talking with each other and ready to go. Best of luck to your son and all of ALFA 186!
    BillG

--
    06 Dec 2011 02:35 PM
    My son left from Houston Texas with two, or maybe three others. We are from Louisiana but Houston is the closest MEPS. He called me from Philly USO as well and he too told me he was getting along well with the other new recruits. I think they are forging lifelong friendships by now.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Dec 2011 03:24 PM
    My ex-husband was in India-121, that was in 1985! A couple of years ago 2 guys from his boot camp company were in Juneau, Alaska for a conference. My ex was stationed there at the time. All 3, from boot camp, were Commanders and all 3 of them went out and had dinner and laughs and talked about good old BM1 Stott, who was their CC in boot camp. That was about 24 or 25 years after India-121 graduated from Cape May! So yes, lifelong friendships in boot camp are completely possible!!

Good Luck Bravo-186!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    proudmom17

--
    07 Dec 2011 09:43 AM
    Hi Everyone!

My son is also in A-186. I sent my first letter to him today. I was able to get his address thanks to this great forum. We live in Las Vegas and my son has never lived in cold weather. He is my first one to leave home. It is just so hard not to be able to speak with him to see how he is doing.
    Mare

--
    07 Dec 2011 12:30 PM
    I agree. That is the hardest thing, not hearing from them. For some reason I am feeling especially blue today. Maybe the weather has something to do with it. It's been pouring here in VA all day. Good luck to you.
    proudmom17

--
    08 Dec 2011 10:18 AM
    Hi,

Good news! I got a postcard from my son today. He says parts of it are hard, but he is really enjoying it! What a wonderful thing to know he is safe and feeling very good about camp. Hope you all get letters or cards soon. Keep me posted.
    Mare

--
    08 Dec 2011 11:40 AM
    I got my postcard last night. All my son wrote was "I love you, Mom" but that is o.k. with me. It was nice to see his writing and know that he is actually in Cape may and wasn't kidnapped!! LOL. I am mailing my second letter today. Sent the first on Monday. I hope he got it.
    BillG

--
    11 Dec 2011 11:26 AM
    I got a letter from the base commander and chaplain on which my son had scrawled a few lines. Is that what you got or was it an actual postcard?
    proudmom17

--
    11 Dec 2011 05:36 PM
    Hi,

I have received both the letter from the base commander and a post card that my son wrote. In the post card he said he had very little time to write. I am sure your son will send a note as soon as he is able. Keep me posted.
    mama bear

--
    11 Dec 2011 07:45 PM
    Hi, I also received both letter and post card at the same time. A few lines but that is pretty typical for my son. Just hearing from him brings some peace to my heart.
    atypical

--
    13 Dec 2011 02:07 PM
    Hello all,

My son is in A186 also, having left from Virginia (hey there Mare). I was happy to see the post from the A186 Company blogger, and eagerly await the first letter! Having been through bootcamp myself, I know all-to-well any free time the recruits have is at a minimum, so I have set my own expectations accordingly. He will write when he can, and I am sure he's concentrating more on the fundamentals of being a Coastie anyway.

Best regards to all,

atypical
    BlessedCGMom

--
    14 Dec 2011 12:21 PM

Posted By Old Guard2 on 06 Dec 2011 06:10 AM
    Personally I think the CG spells Alpha wrong, too! LOL And I love the Coast Guard. HAHA But as far as your co-worker, just let her say whatever she wants. She obviously has no clue what our service is about, even if she is retired Army. Most will joke about it, inter-service rivalry fun type of thing, and that can actually be fun for you too once you know a lot about the CG and can fire back.

Actually in Yankee 185 when my son shipped out from OKC there was an ARMY DRILL SARGENT going to CG Boot Camp and switching services!

Just thought I would share that tidbit!
    Mare

--
    14 Dec 2011 02:24 PM
    I received 2 letters from my son today! He wrote the first one quickly and then when he finished what had to be done, he had time to write more details in the 2nd one.
    In answer to Bill's question above, I received the post card first with just an "I love you, Mom". A few days later I received the letter from the base Commander with a few sentences from my son. I hope you and your wife have heard from your son by now, too.
    "Atypical", I was at the swearing-in ceremony on the 29th, which boy is your son? We may have chatted if you were there.
    Christmas is sure going to be hard this year but hopefully we can all get a call home on that day.
    proudmom17

--
    14 Dec 2011 04:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I received a wonderful and long letter from our son today. He said he hadn't received any letters from us yet and that worried me. Does anyone know when they get mail during the week? Also, how long does it take mail to get there from Las Vegas and then given to the recruits? He sounded so sad about not getting letters, but I mailed one about a week ago and more since. I really appreciate your help with this one. Hope all is well with all of your sons and daughters. They are in week 3 now, yes? Thanks
    Mare

--
    14 Dec 2011 07:05 PM
    I sent the first letter on the 5th and my son did receive it because he answered some of my questions. I sent another one on the 8th and one on the 12th. His letters were post marked the 12th so I am assuming he wrote them on the 11th. They only get to write on Sundays. He did not mention the 2nd letter. They only receive mail Monday thru Friday and sometimes their CCs hold on to the mail for whatever reason. Hopefully, your son will get your letters soon.
    samiam619

--
    14 Dec 2011 07:47 PM
    I believe it is ALPHA...atleast that his how it is posted on the Tracen website. They have posted their first journal. My daughter is also Alpha 186.
    http://www.tracencapemay.uscgnews.c...763/49039/
    proudmom17

--
    18 Dec 2011 12:42 PM
    Hi,

I am just wondering if the recruits in Alpha 186 will get to go to host families for Christmas? Thanks for your help.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Dec 2011 03:51 PM
    If they have earned it, yes. They are eligible.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    proudmom17

--
    18 Dec 2011 03:54 PM
    Thank you for the reply. It is difficult to be apart from my first son without being able to speak to him, it would be worse to imagine him in his barracks for Christmas.
    Mare

--
    18 Dec 2011 11:01 PM
    Proudmom, for more info go to the facebook page, USCG ALFA 186. It's a private page, just ask to join and there is a lot of information there, also.
    proudmom17

--
    19 Dec 2011 05:59 PM
    Thanks for the reply! I am part of the facebook group now. Thanks for the information.
    cjbru

--
    02 Jan 2012 01:41 PM
    Hi, My son-in-law is also in A186 and he is so missed all of us that we can't barely wait for the 20th. He was able to talk for a very long time to my daughter on Christmas. They were both very happy. Matthew just told us he is being stationed in Portsmouth Va, which is 2 and 1/2 hours from where we live in NC. We were very excited with this news however he also mentioned possibly having to go on a cutter. After everything I am reading, this is not such good news as he could be gone for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. His 2 year old son misses him so much as does my daughter. Is hard for me to watch them be so sad and my grandson so confused. Any information anyone can give me on the Cutter boat he may go on. Would be so appriciated.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Jan 2012 02:15 PM
    Welcome aboard cjbru, glad to have you here.

There are several cutters in Portsmouth. If you know which one, we can gladly give you info about that specific boat. I'm sure it is probably a 270, I don't think there are others there. A 270 will go out for about 8 weeks at a time, give or take. It will then be home for 8 weeks, give or take. For your grandsons sake, your daughter needs to get past the sadness. I know it isn't easy, I was there too as a young wife. But her mood will carry through to the baby. Right now these 8 weeks are really tough, communication is almost at zero but once he is in the "real" Coast Guard and not boot camp, it becomes much easier. Your grandson will get used to this as the new routine in his life. Dad is home, dad is gone but dad will be back. He isn't the first military baby, he certainly won't be the last. Your daughter just needs to remember when her hubby is away she has to still be happy and upbeat and just have thsi be a normal thing. When our son was 2 we counted sleeps. Colin knew daddy would be home in 25 sleeps. It was easier for him to understand when he woke up the next morning only 24 more sleeps. What will help with your d-i-l is she will meet other ships wives and they will have kids and that will help ease the burden as well.

Welcome aboard, let us know if you have any questions. We'll be happy to answer and help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Mare

--
    02 Jan 2012 02:35 PM
    I, too, am nervous about my son living on a cutter. He will be stationed on CGC RUSH in Honolulu, Hawaii. We live far away in Virginia. He will go out for 90 days at a time, from what I have heard. I have been a single Mom to my two boys for most of their lives and they are my whole world. We are very close. The thought of him not being in our everyday lives is very hard for his brother and I but we are so happy for HIM! He will have adventures that we could only dream of. I just pray he will be safe and we can afford to visit him someday. I know that my job as a Mom is to raise him so he can go out into the world and make something of himself. I just didn't know it would be so hard.
    cjbru

--
    02 Jan 2012 05:45 PM
    Hi Thanks for the feedback. I am sure that my daughter will get happier as time goes on. Limited communication doesn't make it easy for her and she is still young. I tell her to concentrate on college and her goals as that is what Matthew is doing and it will all work out in time.
    What has been really hard is that we just learned about him going on a cutter after he is transferred to Portsmouth VA. Since Portsmouth is only 2 and 1/2 hours away, we had thought it would not be bad with them able to see each other during his time off and we now learned about going on the cutter for long periods of time. This was information the recruiter did not share at all. So finding this out has been very upsetting. Is this normal though? Is there a time frame when this 8 weeks here and 8 weeks gone would change? I was concerned that the recruiter was not as open and honest as I felt and my doubts have come true. I am thrilled and proud that he is in the Coast Guard and am sure it will all work out in time however would have been nice to know more about what happens after bootcamp. We were told that he would be stationed someone and work from the base period.
    I am so thankful to have any of you send me feedback. I know that you know the worry and concern that I feel. My son-in-law and I are very close as they have all been living with me for a long time and he is a wonderful son. I am very proud right now and can only pray that he will not be gone so much of the time. I was raised with my father gone alot as he was in the Navy and it is hard on kids so I hope my grandson doesn't have to endure the loss of his father often.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement