Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Direct Access Billet List
Last Post 29 Dec 2011 07:50 AM by ojrivera. 28 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jabberwookie

--
08 Dec 2011 08:46 PM
    So, when I look at OS3 billets on Direct Access, I'm seeing 20 jobs that will open sometime in July. Are these the billets that will be available to the people who graduate from the March OS class or is that a separate list?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    11 Dec 2011 07:39 PM
    Do not even bother looking at direct access. None of your billets will come from there. Your billets will be decided by taking a handful of darts and throwing them at a map. Ok, the second part is me joking. We got two billets in Seattle, two in Virginia, one in Puerto Rico, two in Alaska, one in Hawaii, Guam, Boston, Detroit, and Michigan. We only had 1 cutter.

The two classes ahead of us had 6 Alaska billets, 3 cutters, 4 or 5 in Virginia, 3 in California, one in Michigan, one in Detroit and Ohio, and 3 or 4 in new England. It's completely random. There are Airstas, Commstas, CAMSLANT and CAMSPAC, Sectors, and cutters over 210 feet. There is a group or two left in the CG as well, and you could go to any of them. But the ones on DA are for people who are PCSing as OS3s, not a school grads.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Dec 2011 07:51 PM
    Colin really wants another cutter out of A school. I hope there are some available when he goes!

Jabber, do you have your orders for the March class?
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    12 Dec 2011 01:06 AM
    His class will be asked at some point "Who wants a cutter?" "Who wants Alaska?" and maybe a few others. They will send this to the detailer who may care, but probably doesn't. We had 4 people that wanted cutters, and only got 1. We had 1 person that wanted Alaska, and got 2. (and the 1 person who asked for Alaska ended up in Michigan. Figure that out)
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Dec 2011 09:51 AM
    Alaska is something he really wants to avoid. He was born there and lived almost his entire youth in Alaska. Kodiak, Valdez, Anchorage, Juneau... he has had enough of Alaska. I think he would find it a lot different if he went back as his own Coastie and not the kid of a Coastie. But I can understand his reasoning. I think that is why he loves Boston so much... it isn't Alaska!
    USCGC Midgett
    jabberwookie

--
    13 Dec 2011 01:44 PM
    Thanks again for the useful information, FloridaGirl!

OldGuard, some of my bootcamp shipmates who were behind me on the list just told me they got orders yesterday, but I've been on leave, so I'm hoping my orders will be waiting for me when I go back to the station on Thursday.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Dec 2011 01:48 PM
    Colin was #17 on the list... He got his orders yesterday! So if you were above 17 and have no holds, you should be good to go! March 18th convening date, July 19th graduation date. (Or is it March 19th, July 18th... something like that. )

So you and my son might be in the same class! I'll have to look for you at graduation!
    USCGC Midgett
    jabberwookie

--
    13 Dec 2011 03:51 PM
    Nice. I was number 13, so unless I have some hold I don't know about, I'll see him there!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Dec 2011 06:40 PM
    Very nice!! Ok, between the 2 of you, who is going for Honor Grad?
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    14 Dec 2011 10:11 AM
    congrats for collins.

the direct access listis for transferring coasties. Then there is a list that isnt published that is for a schoolers
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ojrivera

--
    14 Dec 2011 11:59 PM
    Old Guard I'm in OS A-School right now. Tell your son to start reading up on logs and comms as much as he can. It is definetly a great rate to be a part of I will say. But I'll be graduating a few weeks after he gets here. Maybe I'll get to meet him when they do the INDOC PT test.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Dec 2011 12:21 AM
    Thanks for the heads up, I will certainly pass that on to him! Any other hints or tips, I'll be happy to send them to Colin. Indoc PT... oh that sounds like fun. LOL
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    15 Dec 2011 03:09 AM
    Posted By ojrivera on 14 Dec 2011 11:59 PM
    Old Guard I'm in OS A-School right now. Tell your son to start reading up on logs and comms as much as he can. It is definetly a great rate to be a part of I will say. But I'll be graduating a few weeks after he gets here. Maybe I'll get to meet him when they do the INDOC PT test.

....And once you get out in the "real OS world" everything you just learned will go out the window.

Yes, I was slightly perturbed.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ojrivera

--
    15 Dec 2011 07:17 PM
    Roger that Florida, and hmm....tell him to be ready for Texas Hill Old Guard
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    15 Dec 2011 08:39 PM
    Shhh! Don't ruin the fun!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Dec 2011 12:26 AM
    OK, if I don't tell him... tell me! What is Texas Hill? Trust me, I love surprises for Colin... but I'll never find out. So come on, tell!
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    16 Dec 2011 03:27 AM
    It is the steepest hill on the face of the earth. And it never ends. You think it ends at one point because it levels out but it just keeps going....its at the beginning of a 3 and a half mile run everyone gets to do the first week they are there in indoc. Oh joy of joys. And during OS pt days (you still have mandatory pt in a school), there is an instructor that loves to run. Especially Texas hill. It will hunt Colin for the rest of his days.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    16 Dec 2011 08:54 AM
    Thank God I never had to run that thing. Kept hearing people talk about Texas hill and its many horros.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Dec 2011 10:45 AM
    Oh no! That sounds horrible! I'm not sure I would want to DRIVE up that hill, never mind run up! LOL
    USCGC Midgett
    jabberwookie

--
    16 Dec 2011 02:18 PM
    Oh joy. Running is pretty much my least favorite thing ever, so I'll have that to look forward to.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    16 Dec 2011 02:23 PM
    The run is not bad at Petaluma and unless something changed from last year Texas hill wasn't part of the run. Especially since you can bring music to run to, made it so much easier.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ojrivera

--
    16 Dec 2011 04:53 PM
    Its not part of the mandatory PT but they have incorporated it more into the routine, and it isn't all that fun for people who haven't run in a while like some of my classmates
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    17 Dec 2011 08:45 PM
    Posted By ojrivera on 16 Dec 2011 04:53 PM
    Its not part of the mandatory PT but they have incorporated it more into the routine, and it isn't all that fun for people who haven't run in a while like some of my classmates

Oh, you are lucky.  TX hill was part of our mandatory PT a few times while I was there (maybe because it was summer?)

Nargil, if you were there last year, how did you avoid it?  It's just part of indoc for everyone now.  And the OS classes got to run it a few more times and we had monthly PT tests.  Did you at least do the SK/YN softball game?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    18 Dec 2011 05:09 AM
    Our pt run started at an arch way with all the chief and air force MSGT pins in it, around a giant field past a gazebo, back behind the YN building and ending behind the hall everyone reports in at. I was there from APR to May, second class to get the new 8 week course(yippy).
    Our weekly PT was ultimate Frisbee, volleyball, soccer, just spots stuff. And the SK/YN game never happened for some reason, I think because our class had 12 people and theirs had 8.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    18 Dec 2011 07:32 PM
    I guess our class was just crazy but a couple of us ran texas hill for pt every week.
    jabberwookie

--
    19 Dec 2011 12:36 PM
    Man...lots of mixed stories on this Texas Hill thing lol...I just hope graduating A School doesn't hinge on my ability to run (outside the ole PT test of course )
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Dec 2011 12:54 PM
    You & Colin can team up and encourage the heck out of each other! You'll both make it perfectly!
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    19 Dec 2011 01:37 PM
    Well you aren't required to pass a PT test but "give 100% effort". PT is twice a week for an hour and not the focus of A school.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ojrivera

--
    29 Dec 2011 07:50 AM
    E is correct, it is not the focus, but it can help for people who haven't worked out like that since BC, or people who are trying to deal with weight.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement