Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
What are Coast Guard members called?
Last Post 30 Dec 2011 03:36 PM by dh82a. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
14 Dec 2011 05:27 PM
    Is there an offical term for coast guard members? Like in the army, army members are called "soldiers". In the Navy they are called "sailors".  In AF "Airmen" and in USMC "Marines".  But I can't seem to find any official label for CG members. In most news articles they are referred to as Coast Guard Members.  On this site a lot of people say "Coastie", but I am guessing that is not the official label?   Is there an Official Label for CG members? Or is it just the same as the Navy (sailor)?
    castnathanyc

--
    14 Dec 2011 05:50 PM
    Coast Guardsmen?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    14 Dec 2011 06:14 PM
    we are whatever the public decides to call us. This could be curse words or good words. I have been called a coastie a coast guard member andat one point guardian. im not sure that ever stuck but I know i really dont care what they call me as long as im helping someone in the long run. I have been called Petty Officer or even Mr. ***** it just really doesnt matter.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    14 Dec 2011 07:57 PM
    Coastie is the most common Iv heard from both military and civilian. Guardian is one that gets tossed around sometimes, but Iv yet to hear a Coastie like that one.
    When people aren't being so nice: Navys little sister and puddle pirates.
    When people are ignorant: Navy national guard.
    Always fun reading papers or hearing people talk about the 4 branches of the armed services.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    14 Dec 2011 08:27 PM
    yes have to love that one.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    14 Dec 2011 09:14 PM
    So I guess the only official way to refer to CG members is "Coast Guard Members"? there is no official label?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Dec 2011 09:22 PM
    Coasties, Guardian (personally hate that one), Coast Guardsman, Sailors (if they are a boat person, my ex-husband has never been on a ship, he isn't a sailor), Guardsman (but that almost sounds like a National Guardsman). Coasties are truly the most common.
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    14 Dec 2011 09:23 PM
    Coastie is tried and true.. Most of us old salts go by that.

There was a recent push to be called Guardians, but that has faded. Admiral Papp uses the term Coast Guardsman. I believe that is still the "official" title, but every one knows us as Coasties.

A good article can be found here;

http://ryanerickson.com/putting-the...an-coffin/
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    14 Dec 2011 09:29 PM
    Guardian, Coast Guardsmen, Coastie, puddle pirate, HERO? Depends on who you ask. I'd imagine if one just saved you from the perils of the sea, he/she would be your hero. Ask anyone in the Navy and they'll call 'em puddle pirates. Most family members call them their Coasties.... like me.

My son just said they changed the Guardian Ethos to the Coast Guardsman's Ethos.
    Proud Coastie Mom
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    15 Dec 2011 03:00 AM
    Didn't they just re-word the Guardian Ethos to the CoastGuardsman Ethos? I actually like the original better. Instead of "I am a Guardian" it's "I am proud to be a Coast Guardsman." It doesn't sound right to me at all.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    15 Dec 2011 06:02 AM
    Yes they did Flgirl
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    sardaddy

--
    15 Dec 2011 07:29 AM
    What are Coast Guard members called? AWESOME!

The official title is Coast Guardsman. It has been that way for many, many years (decades).

Guardians was coined to have people shift from being called Coasties but Coast Guardsman was still the official term. Guardian was a little forced since it came after a movie focused on the CG came out with that name. Plus, the National Guard had been using "Guardians" to describe themselves for quite a few years in their advertising before the CG decided that we wanted to use the name for our service. It was a pretty big flop. So there is no longer an "official unofficial" term for Coast Guardsmen. Coastie, etc. are now back in vogue for the unofficial side.

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    15 Dec 2011 08:21 AM
    +1 Sardaddy
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    dh82a

--
    30 Dec 2011 03:36 PM
    I've used the term Coastie since I joined in 1954.  Sounds right to me!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement